What was the bravest action you've seen in CM?

There are thousands of moments of individual heroism in CM's virtual battlefields. The AI is really something :) Here are a few that stick in my mind to this day...

In the CMBO battle to capture Pegasus Bridge. Corporal Perkins, head of my PIAT crew, destroyed two German tanks and saved everyone's arse. They took out the first one from the house, and then actually ran out -into the open- to destroy the other. His loader was killed by enemy fire as they were running back. It was really something.

CMBB battle Verkhne Gulbaya. My German platoons put up an SUPERB defense and killed -many- Russians before they were finally overwhelmed.

CMAK Demo the Last Defense. My attacking American infantry run from some woods and take cover behind a wall under heavy fire from the Germans. They breach the wall and advance under fire through the wheatfield, stopping to shoot along the way, taking casualties, but eventually manage to win the day.

CMAK demo Fruhlswind. American Grants and Shermans defend themselves bravely against more Panzer III's than I ever wanted to see in my life.

Two things come to mind.

In CMBO I had a Canadian platoon take out an entire German platoon down to the last man, not suffering a single casualty themselves, within one turn. Never seen anything like it. The Canucks were in a church which my opponent didn't realize was occupied.

In CMBB I once had a single gun crew save the battle for me. They were on a railway embankment taking a tremendous pounding from distant King Tigers and about to be overrun by a platoon of infantry. But they just kept firing their pistols at the Germans, suppressing them in a wheat field, and held out for 5 or 6 turns until reinforcements arrived to plug up the hole.

I just play the game... I wasn't even watching the squad till I checked after the battle was over. It must be noted the these were green and regular Russian troops. (In a quick battle). The rest of the Jagar platoon was broken and on the run; these guys must have been fantical to a dagree unheard of.

[ November 30, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

In CMBB I once had a single gun crew save the battle for me. They were on a railway embankment taking a tremendous pounding from distant King Tigers and about to be overrun by a platoon of infantry. But they just kept firing their pistols at the Germans, suppressing them in a wheat field, and held out for 5 or 6 turns until reinforcements arrived to plug up the hole.

King of Debrecen?

Regards

Jim R.

Just last night I had a veteran Soviet Cavalry squad defending a house. It was a massive firefight but they ended up with 30+ kills with a loss of two men. Then again Italians were the attacking force.

However, my favorite feat was playing as the Canadians. In that one Highlander scenario I had one Sherman V knock out over ten assorted stug's and panzers. I had him placed sort of behind a rise and he would take out one tank a turn. I would see how well he was doing and never moved him. Every turn one German tank would get through the mess and find himself targeted my him and end up like the rest. I guess the burnt out tanks and smoke were confusing the German tankers. But I have yet to see anything like this again.

Saince I´ve only have the demo, and haven´t played so much the bravest thing I´ve ever seen was in the demo mission.

My army was heading for some germans in a forest on the other side of a field! I had one officer and 'bout 3 squads of rifle guys. One by one the squads got shot down, or fell for the panic! But not the brave Officer! Alone he faces the german troops, and eliminates two squads of germans before the coward troops came to support!

He was promoted! ;)

"Yes, perhaps with magic bullets a single round will equal a single kill"

A typical German infantry squad like that might carry 1000 to 2000 rounds, depending on how much extra ammo for the LMG the riflemen carry in bandoliers. So to hit 147 you are talking about 1 out of 7 to 1 out of 14 accuracy. They'd flunk you for shooting like that on a range. Not counting 1-2 dozen hand grenades.

The limit on what a squad can inflict in the way of enemy losses is set by the exposure it sees, not by absolute ammo limits. In the real deal small arms including MGs used something like 10,000 bullets per man hit, but that just goes to show most shooting happened at long range, into cover, with a lot of it happening without a visible target or at merely suspected enemy positions.

Cover and dispersion have more than made up for increased firepower and accuracy of weapons over time. In the Napoleonic era, an infantryman with an inaccurate musket might use 60 to 75 rounds in a battle lasting for hours. Looking at the losses they inflicted, they must have hit around 0.5% of the time on average, despite massed targets and sometimes point blank ranges. But that is still 50 times more often than a WW II rifle or MG round managed to find somebody.

The moral of the story is that ammo has never been scarce compared to people it is thrown at. But it is always scarce compared to opportunities to throw it, because people stay farther away, more spread out, and under cover in more than direct proportion to the increase in danger. Battles with spears were often over in an hour, while with muskets they could last all day. Battles with machineguns lasted for years. A third of the losing side typically fell in each case, because that is about how many it takes before groups of men dissolve and call it quits.