What was the bravest action you've seen in CM?

My uber brave pioneer squad following an is-2, running outside of forest cover whilst it backed up, taking mg fire, crawling to another patch of woods, ten seconds later making a mad blitz to the is-2, then blowing it just in time before russian infantry made it to the woods behind the monster. Never made it out alive mind you, but very brave.

Bravest? Would be a crack finnish squad taking firing from several directions (in a house) while surviving the battle and getting around 67 kills.

That was cool, the russians tried a few urahhs but failed ultimately :(

My flank was pretty weak too. I wish the AI were smarter

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

CMBB: A single German Jagar squad holding off a company or more Russians. They inflicted around 147 casualties.

I'm sure! A single jaeger squad lacks the ammo to kill even a hundred enemy troopers. Or were the Russians armed with pine cones? </font>

The crew of this gun stayed with their weapon in the foxhole, while 2 mortars, 2 tanks and 1 MG tried to take it out. Untill the last man was broken, the rest killed and the gun destroyed, it fought hard to hold off the advancing tanks. Never again I saw the 76.2mm kill so many tanks in such a short time. The oponent (PBEM) wasn't so happy with this score.

heroes_4-5-03.jpg

You can see it's kills in the background. In the next round it took out another 2 tanks before it was destroyed.

I was playing on one medium map, completely flat with the only cover being a smattering of trees in the middle. I had my left flank advancing through the hundreds of craters that were around, but two of his t34s saw them, and rushed, just circling the troops and taking them out. I lost about 30 men, and everyone was routing. Then, a single man, who was the only survivor of his platoon, charged both tanks, threw a grenade pack and a grenade and took one tank out, and knocked the track off of the other.

CMBO

I'm Germans with about a company of infantry and 15 tanks* and SPs attacking some Americans. The Americans had a single tracked gun howitzer! Easy meat. That little devil knocked out three tanks, then disappeared as I began to flank it. I thought it must have run off (as the infantry was) and continued my advanced to the last victory flag. Bam! the miserable little devil had circled BEHIND me (this is the AI for ya) it knocked out a STug from the rear at point blank and proceeded to destroy a total of 11 of my tanks. and shred my infantry. Weirder yet I hit it a half dozen times and got, ricohets, penetrations with no damage, etc.

That guy deserved the Silver Cross and battlefield promotion.

I think the only thing that saved me was we ran out of time - I couldn't kill that thing.

*Pz IVs

In my second scenario I ever played (A Warm Place to Sleep), I put a German tank hunter team in a foxhole at a crossroads away from the main action. All of a sudden I saw a T-34 appear, and thought I was surely done for as I had 4-5 PZ32(t)s. However, in the playback when I zoomed in the team stood up and hurled a charge at it, and knocked it out! I couldn't believe it, and I won the scenario (they only one so far by the way)

dont know about the bravest, but the most chicken*^&% thing I have seen in cmbo was my Tiger towards the end of the battle with all allied armor destroyed and an infantry team on each side the crew just jumped out and ran towards their lines. when I clicked on the guy, it showed his status as broken, the tank wasnt in shock, (no Casualties) and the Tiger still had both HE and AP ammo left. I won a tactical victory in that game, but I guess the crew had the runs or something and had to get relief :(

I had 3 Tiger I's around Kharkov, knock out 36 T-34's, in a night engagement inside a village. One of them took on 22 T-34's by himself. The Tigers were part of GD in early 43. Those T-34's just couldn't get the angle on the Tigers. By the time they came close to getting a flank shot in the dark another T-34 went up in flames. The village had T-34 lighting for the evening. :D

Panther Commander

I'm going to have to update my bravest actions here.

Just got done playing my slightly edited version of Knife fight at Cercino (Sp?).

I had one of my Shermans pop out from behind a building to ambush a Tiger and it turns out the Tiger's gun was facing the Sherman! I thought the Sherman was a goner but, the 88 shell BOUNCED OFF at 30 meters on a hit on the front glacis.

I'm still awestruck by the luck my Sherman got there :>

Yeah maybe not the bravest but certainly the coolest

hmmm, tough one. the only one that comes to mind was in a cmbo op vs a human opponent. a bazooka team had exited a jeep just in time to see a panther coming in from the right on a side road. alright, a flank shot! i thought. range was less than a hundred meters. unfortunately, the shot was wide and the panther spotted the zook team and began traversing his turret. meanwhile another bazooka shot was fired. it hit but failed to penetrate. doh! then the panther fired it's main gun. the shell hit fairly close, but miraculously failed to pin or break the zook team. instead, those 2 brave men(or had a deathwish, whichever) calmly reloaded, fired, and brewed the luckless panther on their 3rd and final shot.

because of that incident, morale was lifted through out the american army and inspired a song.

zook team, zook team

whatcha gonna do

whatcha gonna do

when they come for you..

:D

• 10 months later...

CMBO

Sherbrooke Fusiliers - I sort of buggered things up when my tank reinforcements arrived. Thought I was up against a handful of PzIV's and a couple of assault guns when suddenly a "PzIV?" becomes a "Panther G". Downhill from there, but I had an MG squad firing on the advancing SS troops from the top floor of a heavy building while my surviving units in the village withdrew into cover. The crazy loons stayed at their post until the building was overrun by SS. No survivors, natch.

Manneheim-We Start Here! - A standoff battle resulted in plenty of casualties on both sides, but I saw one of my squads charge an 88 while under fire from an MG pillbox until they got into grenade range and took out the crew. The only cover fire they had was pretty innefective small-arms from a couple hundred metres away.