So, you wanna be a beta tester? Now's your chance! CMBB 1.03 Beta Released! UPDATED!

As a unexpected surprise/service to our customers we are releasing (with limited fanfare) the current beta version of the CMBB 1.03 patch to the public.

This Beta patch is for Mac and Windows but will ONLY work on the Battlefront.com English version. It is not intended nor will it work for the CDV version.

This patch is being offered AS IS so you should be sure and backup your copy of CMBB before applying the patch.

The patch is just over 2 megs in size. It includes a new executable and some new BMP files.

The purpose of this beta release to the public is to test the listed fixes (see below) and ensure no major lingering resolvable issues remain.

Once we have confirmed that, we will release 1.03 as a full (non-beta) patch.

If you encounter issues with this patch related to the listed fixes below please post a NEW forum thread detailing what you see. If need be someone from Battlefront.com will reply to the message and possibly request pictures or a save game file which demonstrates the issue.

BE ADVISED, we are not adding any other new features to 1.03 so please refrain from asking for new stuff, rather we just want people to look over the patch and confirm that what we say is fixed is fixed. smile.gif

Windows Patch:

ftp://ftp.battlefront.com/pub/patches/cmbb/CMBBv103_publicbeta.exe

Mac:

ftp://ftp.battlefront.com/pub/patches/cmbb/CMBBv103_mac_publicbeta.sit.bin

Note: We are intentionally keeping this patch announcement low key. Once we release the final 1.03 we will make more widescale announcements. Consider this the Mother of All Bones for our Forum Regulars...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin 1.03 Public Beta README

Since this release is a PUBLIC BETA release we STRONGLY suggest you backup your current Barbarossa to Berlin.exe file before applying this patch!

Your copy of CMBB must already be patched to version 1.02 before applying this patch. Failure to do so may cause your game to no longer run properly.

European Version Warning:

This Beta Patch will NOT WORK with the CDV European release, it is intended only for the Battlefront.com version (English Language only).

A full 1.03 patch (non-beta) will be released in the future for both Battlefront and CDV versions.

In-Progress PBEM Note:

* PBEM games in progress must be saved as save-game files and reloaded into v1.03 before PBEM can continue.

UPDATED ON 4-28-2003 with these changes..

- further tweak to shell line of fire at unit on reverse slope

- further tweak to Matilda II model

- fixed a casualty count bug in KOed tanks (which was not in v1.02)

MODIFICATIONS:

* Ordnance aims better at soft targets just behind the crest of a ridge (i.e. on a reverse slope).

* TacAI is smarter about having a tank prioritize facing its front armor toward an enemy before opening fire on that enemy, if getting the front armor oriented is more helpful than shooting.

* Chance of permanent immobilization after bogging is slightly lowered.

* Very slight reduction to tungsten penetration values, and a slight increase in the TacAI willingness to use tungsten even if the weapon has a large amount of AP on hand.

UNIT DATA CHANGES/FIXES/ADDITIONS:

* BA-20 armor sloped and increased to 10mm.

* Romanian 81mm mortar has correct blast value.

* Several Romanian aircraft added and data updated.

* For the British 2-pounder tank cannon, Soviets receive HE ammo starting April 1943, and APHV ammo (standard AP shot but with slightly increased muzzle velocity) from January through May 1943 (switch to APCBC after).

* Soviet 76.2mm ZiS-3 field gun may use canister ammunition.

* Regimental SMG Company added to Soviet Guards Infantry TO&E

BUG FIXES:

* Captured units may not "follow vehicle".

* Escaped prisoners don't show their former weapons in the "gun rack" interface.

* Icon/profile graphics added for BT-2 and Pz 38(t) E/G.

* Position of MG gunner in SPW 251/16 adjusted slightly.

* The 'short' 75mm German gun can knock out a wooden bunker.

* AAA vehicles fire at aircraft correctly.

* Hungarian M39 rifle has proper graphics.

* Small fixes made to models for Matilda II, SPW 251/16, and BT-7M.

* German 28mm Heavy Antitank Rifle graphical model is larger.

* Corrected a problem where a waypoint added by the TacAI in avoiding an obstacle could "float" above the ground.

* Troops imported into a QB have ammo reloaded but only to the percentage set in the QB parameters.

* Corrected a rare problem where it was possible to discover unspotted barbed wire with the LOS tool if the wire was placed near a boundary of

woods and other terrain.

* Prisoners will not cause units to balk at "friendly fire" (this prevents a gamey issue).

* Random settings in the QB generator won't combine armor force types with division types that have no armor (like Partisans).

* Corrected a problem that sometimes caused two players in an operation to be shown different victory results.

* Fixed a rare problem where a unit could fire a heavy weapon and not show muzzle flash/smoke.

* Soviet crews show the proper Soviet pistol graphic.

* Corrected a problem that sometimes caused a fire to grow larger (or not) depending on how many times the action was replayed.

* Corrected a problem where a split squad could replenish more "healed wounded" casualties between battles in an operation than they should, resulting in an "extra man".

* Fixed a rare problem that could cause loading a PBEM file to crash the game.

* Corrected a problem where the casualty tally could be slightly incorrect in cases where a PBEM game was ended by a cease-fire or surrender in a turn where a vehicle or gun crew was just about to bail out.

* Corrected a problem in the 'gun rack' interface that would sometimes not show the right MGs for a misidentified vehicle.

* Split squads don't have direct negative effects on global morale or victory points.

* Split squads don't cause large miscounts of casualties at end of battle.

* Somua S-35 model places passengers properly.

* When you 'reset' an artillery strike it remembers whether the original plan was for a wide pattern or not.

[ April 08, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that the Beta's being opened up to the public because this is it... this is the end of the road... this is the last and final CMBB patch, and if there's anything wrong with the game after this we've only got ourselves to blame!

That's my assumption.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I assume that the Beta's being opened up to the public because this is it... this is the end of the road... this is the last and final CMBB patch, and if there's anything wrong with the game after this we've only got ourselves to blame!

That's my assumption.

And you would be correct...

Madmatt

Originally posted by Snarker:

Are there any known issues with continuing a game started in 1.02?

I guess we will find out but the rule of thumb is to NOT continue games from an earlier version in a new version. *Odd* things have been known to occur from time to time when you do that.

Madmatt

The IS-2 mod. 1944 lacks the rear MG!

Moreover this tank has both the front upper and front lower hull plates 120mm thick.

The sources I know of, list the lower hull at 100mm (and some Russian sources states that, after the change in slope to 60°, the upper hull also was 'only' 100mm thick).

And, last but not least, my favourite question since the demo came out:

where are the 45mm canister rounds??? :D

Regards,

Amedeo

The Great One Intones:

* Split squads don't have direct negative effects on global morale or victory points.

Wow--this is a pretty major revision! Would someone explain the remaining downsides of using split squads? Does a split squad get suppressed/panicked faster when coming under fire? (I assume that actual casualties will definitely affect a split squad more, since the lost men are a greater proportion of the unit.)

I'd love to hear the official reasoning behind this change.

Does this version check for PBEM files from older versions coming in?

That was a problem with 1.02, it seemed to exchange files with 1.01 fine, of course with funny results. Don't move that heavy tank this turn, wait to next which is computed on 1.02 smile.gif

Umm, was just playing a QB, when I noticed one of my MG42 HMG's I was moving into position had 1 second setup time! The other one had normal setup time...I suppose this isn't normal behaviour, or did the crew just decide "F/#4 this s"/#, let's just carry the whole thing with tripod and all!"

Or have I really, really missed something fundamental in CMBB...I can't recall noticing this in previous versions.

Took a screeny and a save game, umm, nowhere to upload. :(

Originally posted by oneirogen:

Umm, was just playing a QB, when I noticed one of my MG42 HMG's I was moving into position had 1 second setup time! The other one had normal setup time...I suppose this isn't normal behaviour, or did the crew just decide "F/#4 this s"/#, let's just carry the whole thing with tripod and all!"

Or have I really, really missed something fundamental in CMBB...I can't recall noticing this in previous versions.

Took a screeny and a save game, umm, nowhere to upload. :(

This bug has been around for quite some time. If you move your MGs somewhere and then move them again without letting them set up fully, then the setup time is not reset.

A few preliminary tests reveal that this beta patch mught profit from some tweaking. Tanks are still churning up hill crests with shortened HE volleys. Just witnessed a medium caliber Soviet AT gun, 'hull down' among scattered trees,, decimate a platoon of PZ4HS.

The same scenario, using 1.01, featured a quick destruction of the gun with a couple of shots landing right on the gun emplacement. I'll continue using this earlier exe in my PBEMs. Bummer!

Originally posted by Martyr:

Wow--this is a pretty major revision! Would someone explain the remaining downsides of using split squads? Does a split squad get suppressed/panicked faster when coming under fire? (I assume that actual casualties will definitely affect a split squad more, since the lost men are a greater proportion of the unit.)

I'd love to hear the official reasoning behind this change.

AFAIK previously splitting a squad of 12 men into two teams of six (for example) would count as six dead soldiers for victory/score/morale purposes. If you rejoined the squad, the error would be corrected. Hence the rule: only split squads that you can rejoin before the game finishes.

This is just a bug fix. It would not effect the weaker morale of split-squads feature.

[ April 07, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: tecumseh ]