Newbie Introduction

I am a historian (now on a fellowship studying legal practice) and have always enjoyed teaching and writing about the First and Second World Wars. A friend recommended CM:BB as the ultimate computer simulation of Ostfront combat during WWII, and from what I've been able to pick up from the tutorials (owned the game two days now!), he's right.

So, here's my problem -- I know a lot about the surrounding history of the Eastern Front, but am pretty much a novice at serious computer wargaming. I have found that the included tutorials are nowhere near enough to get me started ... and wonder if anyone would be willing to play a few PBEM games with me as a tutor.

I would love to be involved as an active member of what seems to be a great community, but realize that until I can play the game in a more professional fashion I won't be much help.

Looking forward to hearing from people soon.

Best wishes

Squad Leader

Thanks for the best wishes, and good luck with the kid thing -- gonna be a few years before we try to tackle that one. . .

Jaegermeister is actually a pretty challenging scenario for the rank beginner. I think it was designed more as a tutorial for players who had played the first iteration of CM (CMBO) to teach them about new features in CMBB, like Shoot & Scoot, pre-planned barrages, etc. It requires a pretty good knowledge of combined arms tactics to play well from either side.

Anyway, if you're still looking for a human tutor come the beginning of March, feel free to drop me an email -- address is in my profile. I should have time for playing again come next month.

Cheers,

YD

Squad leader,

Welcome to CM. I'd be happy to give you a hand. If you know what sort of PBEM you want to do (scenario, quickbattle, etc.), then send me a set up (email in profile).

If there is something specific you want to work on, let me know what it is and I'll see if I can find something to tackle it in a PBEM. I've heard it said that when you can teach something to somebody, that's when you've really learned the material. We'll see if I've really learned the material. :D

Lastly, if you are on a PC and plan to do a bit of PBEM, I'd suggest you look into using Fuerte's PBEM Helper. It is a fantastic utility.

Ace

PS - Good luck with the wedding YD. Here's to you and your wife's everlasting bliss. smile.gif

Hello and welcome to the world of CM Squad Leader

If you want another game going you can contact me. Just click the name to contact via email. Just let me know what kinda game you´d like to play etc. I prefer created scenarios over QBs. I don´t use pben helper but it doesn´t matter if you started to use it.

Waiting for your reply smile.gif

-LT

I'm looking for some PBEM games too, I downloaded that PBEM helper and I'm installing it.

Any kind of game is OK with me, I would like a QB or a scenario with some TDs or anti-tank guns in it though, I need to learn how to use them right.

I am pretty sure my email is in the profile, if anyone wants to do a PBEM email me smile.gif

A word to the wise.

Just because you lose myserably in your first few scenarios doesn't mean you're bad at the game. There are a couple' simple looking' CMBB scenarios in particular that still bring tears of frustration to the eyes of a veteran player! As a historian you'll definitely appreciate it when you get to experience first-hand your first encounter against a Tiger in late '42 up around Leningrad. You'll definitely lose that game, but you'll appreciate the moment.

Thanks for all the great responses! Ace, I e-mailed you about some possible scenarios. LT, would love to do the same, but couldn't find your e-mail address in the profile.

Basically, what I am looking for are 'tutorial battles' that will help teach me a bit more about the interface and focus on controlling infantry and armored movement. Basic tutorial on my special edition CD is too easy, advanced tutorial too hard ...

And yes, Mikey, seeing a Tiger pop up on my boys outside Leningrad would be a pretty big thrill.

Now just to decide on whether to learn the German or Sov ToE first ...

Originally posted by Squad Leader:

Lucky break for me! I was surprised that 'Squad Leader' was available as well. Could be a sign, eh? smile.gif

I actually own Squad Leader, (about) half of the unit markers made by myself, old original ones lost or too worn out. Rules look old too, rips on some pages. Bought my copy from a flea market (not sure of the word here) some years ago (5 or so, maybe more), thought myself lucky, still having fun with it, gaming with my friends. Maybe the nick was left untouched out of reverence, maybe everybody thought it'll already be taken. Great game. Welcome to the community.

Originally posted by SaTyR:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Squad Leader:

Lucky break for me! I was surprised that 'Squad Leader' was available as well. Could be a sign, eh? smile.gif

I actually own Squad Leader, (about) half of the unit markers made by myself, old original ones lost or too worn out. </font>

Might I suggest feeling out the game with a few hotseat games against yourself.

This was one of the ways I got the hang of the mechanics of the game, as you can see your actions from both perspectives.

Also, read up on the forums. The is a mind-numbing depth of knowledge around here. Try some of the Sticky/FAQ threads.