CMAK (Feasible) Wishlist

Agreed Determinant, but I was wondering if the Indian units would be included in the British OB, as they were more closely integrated with British Army units than the Aussies or Kiwis were. For instance 4th Indian Division included both Indian and British battalions, whilst 6th Australian Division was totally Australian (at the insistance of the Australian government.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Firefly:

Agreed Determinant, but I was wondering if the Indian units would be included in the British OB, as they were more closely integrated with British Army units than the Aussies or Kiwis were. For instance 4th Indian Division included both Indian and British battalions, whilst 6th Australian Division was totally Australian (at the insistance of the Australian government.

Yes, it's a fair point that the Indian Army down to brigade level were, I think, formed with one Imperial (ie UK) battalion and two Indian battalions so that there always was a mix. In contrast, of course, to ANZAC formations that aimed to be independent wherever possible for perfectly understandable political reasons (although individual ANZAC units were, I believe, sometimes brigaded into UK brigades - I think that this may have happened in Crete with an Australian unit).

I suppose that this will cause problems if CMAK follows the CMBB force selection option set at divisional level: Indian Army divisions contain a mix of Imperial and Indian units.

Still for my money ($45!) I would much prefer that the contribution of the Indian Army (the Ghurkas, the Sikhs, the Rajpoots etc) was reflected in the game. I would even like to see the Maori units in the New Zealand army!

Originally posted by Tweety:

I'm sure MrSpeaker meant SAS & LRDG vehicles. Very difficult cause they carried whatever they felt like, double vickers K mounts, Vickers watercooled, .50 cal, Boys AT rifle(.55?) etc. [snips]

I understand that this is not so. According to Dave List, a researcher I meet at the PRO from time to time, they were equipped to a standard pattern. UK TV viewers with eidetic memories may recall that Dave List's name appeared as "Special Forces consultant" in the credits for the programme on Operation Foxley shown last week.

Dare we hope for a parked aircraft vehicle type, so that we can re-create the Great Jeep Raid at Fuka?

All the best,

John.

1. I would like to see a rally "command". In CMBB when all the units gets mixed up it is very tedious to try to keep them back with their units. This would work just like a group move order does currently in the game but rather than all the units moving in the same direction the command would generate routes such that they would converge on the the movement objective as rally point (or some player enterable radius from the rally point). Perhaps a good way to include this in the game GUI would be if you double click on an HQ you could right click and select between the normal group move option or the converge on rally point option.

2. A split rejoin command. Once you split a unit it can be a bit tedious trying to rejoin them back together again in that you hae to hunt around sometimes to find where a units other half is before you can plot the movement for the rejoin. The rejoin command would automatically plot a route from the commanded unit to its other half (or vice versa). Like 1 above you could specify what kind of movement the half squad would use to rejoin its other half. This could be implements similar to 1 above in that if you double click on a half unit you could right click and choose between a move both halves in the smae direction (a mini group move) or a converge on rally point option.

3. Provide the + and - command as a GUI button so that you can step through units using the mouse and without having to use the keyboard.

4. Step by Paltoon command. Instead of having to step, step step ad infinitum using the + key to find a unit, provide a command that steps to the next platoon HQ so that you can step by platoon (or maybe even company). If you do 3 then this could be selected by right clicking on the + and -GUI buttons

4. This could be extended to a step to the next FO, step to the MG, or whatever.

5. ditto on the other posts for a sort missions by data!

6. ditto on the other posts on an assign support weapons to HQ!

7. Provide a command link to the next higher unit. Thus a platoon HQ would have a line to its Co HQ (perhaps a different color than the link to its subordinate units). A Co HQ would have a line to the Bn HQ.

8. (This is a repeat from another post but I thought I would include it here too) Provide an "Other" nationality to provide a hook to add any minor nations of choice that isn't included in the game by loading in 3rd party mods (as they will inevitiably appear).

I'm very grateful to be getting a Desert War game at all but would also like to wish for the following (some already mentioned):

French (Vichy/Free), Indian, and South African troops. They were absolutely a big part of the fighting, certainly not minor. If ANZACs are in then these guys must make it as well. In an ideal world I'd also wish for the Libyan native troop divisions which made up a very large part of the Italian Army in the early war.

Portees.

Proper rocky desert terrain, not sand dunes.

Heat haze (causing ID problems) and targetting problems depending on facing at dawn and dusk. A standard tactic was to launch attacks at that time when the opposition would have to squint into his sights to find you.

Forts, the proper Beau Geste types which were major objectives in the 40-41 battles.

The vital and colourful East Africa Keren campaign of 1940. I suspect that the OOBs will already be there for the troops, just the mountainous terrain will be needed.

Can I have some more? :rolleyes::D

An option to turn tank/vehicle bogging on or off in the QB parameter screen!!

The ability to delete units from companys, battalions etc. For example, you want to select a battalion of infantry in a QB but it goes a few points over the limit so you delete a hmg or a mortar or whatever so it fits in under the limit.

Has it occurred to anyone that most of the new features may very well be theatre specific, and that any kind of rewrite to the engine itself will be done in the actual engine rewrite? ie this will be basically CMBB in the desert? If that's the case, I still wanna buy it, but would not be horribly disappointed to see stuff like borg spotting still in.

I think the use of sponson mounted guns (ie M3 Lee/Grant) will be terrific and may very well represent a huge investment in coding time, given the inability to do this for the first two games.

Parachutes in the air (mostly for Crete.. Maleme, Canae, Suda, Retimo, Heraklion.. etc.)

Gliders in the air and on the ground...

Optional scenario for fictional FSJ air drop on Malta..

Optional scenario for fictional FSJ air drop on Cyprus..

Optional scenario for US air drop on Sicily...

Vehicle camoflage that really works...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

[ April 06, 2003, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Duke of Earl ]

Originally posted by Duke of Earl:

Parachutes in the air (mostly for Crete.. Maleme, Canae, Suda, Retimo, Heraklion.. etc.)

Just think of the fun we'll have arguing about whether it's Canea, Hania or Chania, Retimno, Rethymnon or Rethymno. I can see MadMatt rubbing his hands with glee and anticipation already.

Originally posted by Canuck:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Volker:

Missions listed in Order of Timeline. I think its fun to play the Missions as they happened, rather than skip around.

Ditto. I think that should be easily implementable for CMAK smile.gif </font>