Can't get CMBB " To The Volga" to run. Any ideas?

I purchased CMBB about 6 months ago and had problems. MaddMatt and the excellent staff at HQ sent me another copy that I subsequently loaded and about a week ago I finally installed the 2 patches 1.01 & 1.02. Everything seems to run except "To The Volga" :( I can set up as either side but after I hit go, 2 seconds into 'computer loading' my screen freezes and I must soft boot. :mad: I'm running an AMD athlon 1800+ with 768 ddram and a GeForce 4 MX 440, antivirus care of McAfee. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! I'm just hangin' to wash that Ukrainian dust out of my socks in the Volga. HELP !!! :confused:

I recently installed CMBB.

I just loaded that operation not to play it, but to see how my PC would handle the largest operation.

The PC is P4-2.53GHz, 1Gb RAM (PC1066), GF4 Ti4600, and running XP Pro. Using FRAPS depending on the view, I was getting 3-8 FPS looking at the setup screen.

The scenario is massively CPU bound due to the vast number of units. How can you see that? Well, if you can turn FSAA on and off, trees, terrain effects, number of men in a squad, etc... and it makes no difference, then you are CPU bound. Given the CPU resources this scenario needs, I don't expect it will be playable on top end hardware for another 12-18 months.

While looking at it, I also found myself wondering who would want to deal with and manage so many units? Unlike Airborne Assault, CMB(O,B) do not scale very well in terms of player work load relative to managing the battle.

Thanks Markshot and Sodball. I guess MaddMatt wasn't kidding when he said he wondered if "To The Volga" was too large. I have to be honest, I haven't been able to leave CMBO alone to really look at CMBB. Sadly I'd play the whole damn war Combat Mission style ifn I could. I will try these things and then probably upgrade my CPU. BUGGER. Good luck at the front...

Actually, a fellow BoB'er (Band of Brothers) and I are into turn 4 of the first battle. Forget playing this vs. the AI since it'll take the AI 25 minutes to compute it's moves, then another 25 minutes to compute the results (on my P3-1GHz). However, with both you and an opponent issuing the orders, the only thing left for the computer to do is calculate the results. And since it's PBEM, your machine is calculating the results every other turn. So it's really not that bad.

We did remove about half the craters though since the craters are a HUGE performance hit when scrolling around the battlefield. There used to be a 2-3 sec delay between when I clicked on unit and when the unit was actually selected. By removing half the craters, there is very little delay now.

YMMV of course, but I highly recommend PBEM and removing a lot of the craters.

edit: it takes my computer about 10-15 minutes to process one turn when it's my turn to compute the results. Definitely manageable in a PBEM environment.

edit redux: if you do remove a lot of the craters, be cognizant of where you remove them. With limited set up zone for the germans, I was wishing for craters everywhere, so I suggest leaving the craters in the german setup zone alone. For the russian side of things, remove the extraneous craters in the middle of the map, again leave plenty of craters for gun emplacements and stuff.

[ May 12, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Juardis ]

I tried to set this up for a PBEM with Peng and, of course, encountered the same things everyone else has. I told Berli (he designed it) that I would leave it in my will so that my 2 year old son may be able to someday give it to his grandson and be able to play it.

Jesus :eek: 10 minutes to calculate your turn ?

I find it already hard to wait 2 minutes tongue.gif

What sick mind has made this :D

they should "hang" him :D

ps: seen that awfull delay when clicking units, takes 3 a 4 sec to popup the controls. Also my waypoint-marker 'delays". Horrible, never tried to start this monster...

[ May 12, 2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: 88mm ]

OH JA !!! :D

And so it is true. You can run it via hotseat or PBEM. Victory at last...

A smaller version of this operation would indeed be an excellent thing. I haven't looked at the reinforcement groups but perhaps something could be done there.

I hear some blokes in Japan built this monolythic 'puter to study weather patterns and global warming. I hear there up to turn 6 already... :rolleyes:

Thanks to all you fine fellas !!! :D

Richie, you can edit the Operation yourself you know. Just open it in the scenario editor and start changing things. Be sure to save it as a different name though, and make sure you don't advertise it as Berli's original operation.

However, I don't think you want to reduce the map size or number of units since it is supposed to recreate the massive battle. It's already pared down considerably. But reducing some of the performance hitting features (like the craters) will help a lot when you watch the movies or give your orders. Won't help with the calculations though.