New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!! Pt2

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

But that didn't make either country Allied.

Yes. I just was illustrating how Soviets were part of the Allies in the very sense, despite the lack of operational cooperation. Yet there were things like the timing of major offensives to coincide on both fronts, etc.</font>

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

Okay, this is the Sound Off About CMAK Thread, so here goes:

I don't give two squats about the desert, everything I've read describes it as similar to naval warfare and I ain't no swab.

Now then: Sicily and Italy. Now there's WWII at it's most equal and intense.

Troina, Salerno, Ortuna, San Pietro, Monte Cassino, Anzio, tough, determined, fanatical resistance on one side and dogged, unrelenting, determination on the other.

Rooting the enemy off of mountains and out of caves. Clearing old villages built onto the mountainside. No room to deploy armor, oceans of mud, an attacker's nightmare.

CMBB's engine is excellent, and now we get to play the Allies again. The fire in the stomach will grow when those squads are American (or British, or Canadian, or Polish, or Kiwi's, etc.) that are advancing triumphantly or being cut down mercilessly by the determined German foe.

But then again, this is just one man's opinion.

Hear, hear. I like the way this man thinks. smile.gif

bad news. there are no soviet forces in africa, comrad. i can't believe you would want to fight in a place that the glorious red army is not there to win war for you. oh well, it's your funeral. on a side note, everybody knows that soviet union won war in africa. if not for the glorious red army keeping hitlerites busy fighting in russia, egyptians would not be speaking english today, and hitler would be buried in pyramid. but you don't have to thank us comrads. we are used to being ignored.... ;)

Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

So any chance of seeing some Maori boys amongst the New Zealanders?

I hope so. They definitely were there in reality.

At Crusader the 28th Bn was a Maori Bn and I think they were Divisional reserve or something.

Anyway they did a great job.

Originally posted by Ariel:

I dunno if this was addressed in the other thread:

will be the 88s (and maybe other guns, but it is the case I know) able to fire from the towing position, with a restricted covering angle?

I'm sure there will be 2-lbers en Portee. What more could you ask for?

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chek:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Freefrench2:

First use of the 88mm in an AT role ? In France, yes, but against french heavy B1-bis Tanks...sorry for english brothers! The germans turned against those tanks every gun they had on hand and turned them in this role : 105 mm guns too!!

I stand corrected,how else could they have stopped that great behemoth. </font>

Its a shame that cmak will reap the benefits of being the third version of the cm engine while cmbb which covers the most important aspects of the war should end up being the poor relation.

Dont get me wrong I own and love cmbo and cmbb

but i think cmbb should have been the last in the line so as to incorporate all the best features into the most important theatre.and i really must add that the desert is one dull looking place and also it is hard enough to work with infantry attacking on the open steppe so whats it going to be like in the desert?Is it going to end up as armour heavy fighting across extensively mined billiard tables?

Could be Sonar, but if you don't like that, you can always call up an Italian Mountain battle and fight infantry only smile.gif And what you said about CMBB - the engine changes in CMAK will be minor (when compared to the jump between CMBO and CMBB at least), so CMBB will be very much up to date even once CMAK comes out.

Martin

People keep bringing up 'battles on billiard tables' when talking about CMAK! You do know the battle of Kassarine Pass was named that because it took place in a pass... as in mountain pass? It was in North Africa that the Churchill earned its reputation for climbing impossible slopes. Judging from in-action photos of the theater of operations, I can't see why it wouldn't have at least as many terrian features as the Russian steppes. Sure the flat bits were flat, but the bumpy bits were bumpy as well!

[ June 03, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by sonar:

...i really must add that the desert is one dull looking place...

Really? And you've spent time there, I take it, seeing all that there is to see? And all those Englishmen (among others) who went there and rhapsodized over its exotic beauty and grandeur were just barmy sods whose opinions do not count in any case? Been in the sun too long and all that?

Well. I'm glad we got that sorted out. Thanks and all.

:rolleyes:

:D

Michael

Originally posted by sonar:

...and i really must add that the desert is one dull looking place and also it is hard enough to work with infantry attacking on the open steppe so whats it going to be like in the desert?Is it going to end up as armour heavy fighting across extensively mined billiard tables?

In case you forgot to read the CMAK webpage before posting:

"Combat Mission: Afrika Korps is a 1-2 player, hybrid turn-based/realtime 3D simulation of WWII tactical warfare in parts of the Mediterranean Theater including North Africa, Italy, Sicily and Crete from 1940 to 1945.

...Watch the famous Deutsches Afrika Korps storm the fortress of Tobruk, or help the US and british forces defend against powerful German counterstrikes at Anzio. Fight with the elite German Fallschirmjäger units in Crete, or follow General Patton's sweep across the island of Sicily."

Guest Mike
Originally posted by Sokal:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

So any chance of seeing some Maori boys amongst the New Zealanders?

At Crusader the 28th Bn was a Maori Bn ..... </font>

Originally posted by Moon:

Could be Sonar, but if you don't like that, you can always call up an Italian Mountain battle and fight infantry only smile.gif And what you said about CMBB - the engine changes in CMAK will be minor (when compared to the jump between CMBO and CMBB at least), so CMBB will be very much up to date even once CMAK comes out.

Martin

Moon how about a CMAK forum only soon? Date?

Originally posted by Boris Balaban:

Moon how about a CMAK forum only soon? Date?

If they stick to precedent, a CMAK forum will be launched when the game is released, or at least a demo. But then, they might do something new, mightn't they? I too would advise them to start an exclusively CMAK forum as soon as they can get to it. There'll be less confusion that way.

Michael

I haven't posted in the CMAK thread for ages, and it seems pretty quiet so what can I say. How about Random Reinforcements! Yeah, I know that anyone from BFC has stopped reading right there 'cos after I asked for it a while back it was apparently going to be too difficult.

However this time I might just resort to outright begging and pleading rather than reason. Oooo gooo on phulleaaase, yeah I know you said that the game engine will be the same, but CMBB had many tweaks over CMBO, and it'll be a great selling point for any waverers and it won't require too much work I promise :rolleyes:

After all the current engine can already generate forces to a specified point value and of a certain compostition (combined arms/armour etc). So CMAK will just need to do this at a certain turn and put them on the map edge. (EG 500 points of infantry reinforcements to arrive between 15-30). Add in a chance for non appearance and voila there is a whole new dimension and potential for suspense, as well as an acknowledgement to all those actions where follow on forces didn't arrive and left the attack force high and dry (or local reinforcments didn't show for defenders but sat still doing their own thing).

OK that was a bit reasonable, so back to the pleading. Plus a little mention for the Indians and South Africans again, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssssee BFC with sugar on top this time?!

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I would like to see a tiny little button in the Unit Edit window for custom scenarios that says "MAX" next to the ammo count so that if you want to just max out the ammo you only have to click it once and not hold down for 10-15 seconds for large ammo counts ;)

Thanks BF!

Oh. . .GRRRRR!! :mad:

Here's a question. If I use some creative unit purchasing in the Mission editor, would it be possable for me to re-create engaments from the Battle of France in 1940? I know the time displayed wouldn't work out right, but could you get the equipment right?

I ask this because now that WWII Online has become the "Battle in France" and not the "Battle of France" and new tank development and be sumerized as "Do not pass go, go directly to Shermans and Tigers." I was hoping the CMAK could satisify my early war light tank fetish.

P.S. Did the French Char B1 Bis make the cut now that Multi-Turret tanks are possable? Or for that matter, when will we see a unit list, especally the "lesser" nations like France, Italy, ect.

Originally posted by Nippy:

If I use some creative unit purchasing in the Mission editor, would it be possable for me to re-create engaments from the Battle of France in 1940?

I think you are going to have to wait for CM4. There are just too many equipment and organisation differences on all sides between the Battle for France and the period that will be covered by CM:AK to be able to model more than an extremely limited set of encounters.

Just one more reason to be sure that CM:BY gets made.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nippy:

If I use some creative unit purchasing in the Mission editor, would it be possable for me to re-create engaments from the Battle of France in 1940?

I think you are going to have to wait for CM4. There are just too many equipment and organisation differences on all sides between the Battle for France and the period that will be covered by CM:AK to be able to model more than an extremely limited set of encounters.

Just one more reason to be sure that CM:BY gets made.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Nippy:

As for CMAK, I know the TO&E wouldn't be perfect, but how close could one get?

Not very, I'm afraid. Just to take one example, in the Blitzkrieg period, all the German MBTs except for the Pz. IVs were armed with 37mm cannon. In CM:AK none of them will be so far as I know. Any French infantry will have substantially different organizations and equipment between the two periods. The early war Poles, Norwegians, and Yugoslavs won't represented at all. And so forth. These are not negligible differences.

By being very careful, you could probably scrape together a few scenarios that would be passibly authentic, but how satisfied would you be with that?

Michael

CMBB's got the (rarely seen) early 37mm gun PzIII. Can you spot that vehicle in the screenshot

of CMAK tanks on parade? Anyone know if the Pz38(t) made it into North Africa as well?

You could cobble together early war Brits vs Germans easily enough, I'd guess. Hell, you could do that in CMBB now with the Valentines, Matildas, and Bren gun carriers running about (though Russian infantry aren't quite the same animal as the British Expeditionary Force in 40).

[ June 09, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]