New Eastern Front Game

Any game that has no written description of what it is covers or does, but relegates all of that to a movie (which I can't be bothered to watch) is not something I'd ever consider. I expect pure eye candy with no game play depth. You can explain otherwise, but you'd have to use words.

JasonC, you have a real and serious attitude problem. It would probably get you beaten to death in some circles. I really don't understand your overt hostility. You seem to go out of your way to be rude and dismissive. What did I or anyone do to you for you to feel obliged to behave in this manner? That was a rhetorical question, by the way. Don't take it as an opportunity to compose an epic, mind-numbing response.

You're a very sad case, indeed. So, do us both a favor and ignore any more topics that I post here. I recommend that you seek professional counseling...soon.

Red Orchestra? its an old mod to UT2004 that moved on. I played it before and it is a FPS but they are aiming at realism. (unfortunly the players removes it by using ingame bugs and stuff like that)

and the tanking part is like Operation flash point. but the infantry part is good, its worth trying if you want some fast fun.

I don't know where you detect - or project - hostility in my comments. I was simply explaining why a game that advertises itself in flash but can't be bothered to write any actual words is not going to appeal to strategy gamers on the hunt for game play depth, and utterly indifferent to all the eye candy and immersion ever produced. I'd rather watch paint dry than somebody's movie version of WW II, if there isn't any strategy in it. That's my taste. Live with it. If you think this game looks like it will have great strategy depth, you could tell us why. Otherwise - why on earth would you care what other CM players think of it anyway?

I have to agree with Grog Jason on this one. Especially with my slow Internet connection, without a description of why the game play would attract my interest, realistic physics realistic OOB's or some such or another for example. A video does not interest me in the least. However I do realize that it may hold interest for others. Just not me as I look for seriousness in my Wargaming and eye candy second.

*Sigh* All I did was post a link to a page for a game that I thought might interest people who play games set in the Eastern front of the Second World War, and that had a trailer available for download. With just a few mouse clicks(3 as a matter of fact, starting with the "forums" tab at the top of the linked page) you can navigate to the game's forum where it is discussed and explained at length. I don't see why a person "can't be bothered" to click a mouse a few times.

Also, at no point did I declare that this game offered great strategic depth and/or incredible historical realism, and I don't care what other CM players think of it. It's not my game; I'm not trying to sell it to any of you. Just click the link or don't. It's really that simple. Thanks for making a mountain out of a mole hill. This whole topic could have been ignored and I wouldn't have given a damn. In fact, I would prefer that over someone taking it upon himself to make some arbitrary comments after barely glancing at the material.

Seconded, don't be downhearted if there are a few "elitist" bad eggs on this board - well meaning though they may be, getting out and spending some time in the real world would do wonders for their attitude.

I'm more of a DoD2 player myself, and more recently BF2 - the latter very unrealistic of course, but damn good fun! :D

Looks like the game, I think it's called "Medal of Honor".

Takes place in Normandy. First person shooter where you operate with a squad.

It's has a fun demo.

They all remind me of the origianl Doom but with much better graphics and of course takes place during WWII.

Here's a general overview of what the game is. I wouldn't shrug the game off as just another shooter. It certainly isn't, it has much more of a simulation feel to it then most others. Don't take my word for it, SimHQ.com call it "the IL2 of the ground" check out their review of the mod, from back before the new soon to be released Ostfront version.

I highly recommend it for anybody looking for a much more slower paced tactical shooter. You won't find any of that run & gunning crap from other shooters.

Iron sights are nicely done, here's the Mosin-Nagant.

shot0292.jpg

Here's the TZF12a gunsight on the Panther.

panthercannonsight.jpg

I don't often post here as you'll see from my post count (I sure have read a whole lot though, thanks for all the tips guys!) but seeing my other favorite ww2 game getting some bad PR I think I'll pipe up.

Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 is a game that grew up from an Unreal 2004 modification. The guys won a big contest giving them the actual unreal engine to build a real game on (worth about $250,000) and made their retail version of Red Orchestra.

The game is NOT like your traditional first person shooter games. It doesn't have the unrealistic pace of games like Doom, Quake, DoD 2, or BF2. It's a bit slower paced, and far more realistic. The guns, the vehicles, everything operate realistically. The team making it is devoted to realism and have spent endless hours researching and insuring that things are as realistic and accurate as possible. The mod version had some problems, but this new version is supposed to be pretty darn rock solid with all the major problems being resolved from simply having access to the engines source code.

If you've ever played a first person shooter and have any interest at all in being a single soldier (be it a rifleman, or a tanker) then you might want to try this game's demo when it comes out. Personally I love both games like CMBB and then games like RO. I had some trouble with the new DoD as it was too fast paced an unrealistic. RO doesn't have that problem.

Anyhow, don't dismiss it as just another shooter game...there will be a demo out in a few weeks from what I hear so give it a whirl.

Things I really like about it:

- realistic balistics on weapons

- realistic movement speeds

- realistic death (you get shot you generally die, none of this I can take 20 bullets and run at full speed stuff)

- actual teamwork during gameplay

- artillery is modelled realistically (authentic salvo amounts etc.)

- vehicle combat is realistic and stronly encourages full crews to be combat effective

- Ah...there's too many things. I'll stop now. =)

Monk

The game is indeed a FPS, and it is supposed to aim for realism. However, I found while playing it during its development that all engagements became rogue sniper matches. The classes did not compliment each other enough to play anything beyond the rifleman class. MGs and SMG classes were worthless, because all anyone would do is find good areas of concealment with good lines of fire and then wait for other players to stray into that line of fire.

This was because rifles ruled supreme in killing ability. So the volume of fire or suppressive ability of MGs didn’t matter, nor did the close support of SMGs (because you could never get in close enough to pepper someone with your SMG). If you did find someone prone and could sneak up on them, you had a pistol or knife to deal with them. Because all anyone would do was hide and snipe like this, some games seriously became nothing more than 12 to 20 players in fixed positions waiting for newbs to join the server and wander around getting killed over, and over, and over. I played once on a server and did nothing nor saw anyone else for 20mins before quitting. WE WERE ALL WAITING FOR ONE OF US TO GET UP AND BECOME A TARGET!

It was a well-crafted mod (from a visual-historical standpoint) with serious game play problems. To me it seemed like the dev team was way more interested on making the environments as real as possible rather than the core game play.

EM,

I'm curious what build you played because I rarely ran into that sort of gameplay. I think it also depends a lot on what server you are on. Most games I played there was a lot more movement and teamwork going on. Sure in some cases the maps push players into playing defensively, but as a whole I wouldn't say that was my experience at all (been playing since the mod was first released for UT2k - ie years).

Monk

Early build. Tanks had just made the scene, but were still very primitive if I remember what people were saying about them. I played for about two weeks (about an hour a night) before giving up and going back to Day of Defeat (which suffers from the same kind of dumbass players as the mindbogglingly popular CS).

I remember having only one session that had relitivly balanced gameplay. Every time other than that was the rogue sniping I spoke of (with the occasional MG kill). I never partook in a tank map.

Well, I've been playing RO since it's very first beta 1.0 release on UT2k3 and have never witnessed the scene you describe. I'm not calling you a liar, I just haven't seen it after playing the game for hundreds of hours. Now of course I've seen situations in all games, including RO, where both sides, for one reason or another, decide to play defensively. It's simply just the ebb and flow of players(noobs or vets) coming to the server.

Guest ExplodingMonkey

Then I just had a run of bad luck with it. I remember wondering why it received so much praise from its fans, and simply dismissed them as RO grog-fanboys.

But that was exactly the experience I got out of it. And I kid you not: approx 20 mins worth of about 16 of us in sniping positions doing almost nothing. Every once and a while someone would get a kill, but I never saw a soul, and most of us were typing in how boring the round was. I even went so far as to criticize the mod and got a lot of flak for it.

Steve, I just contacted you about resolving my extra account issue. Sorry about the mess. :(

[ February 19, 2006, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: ExplodingMonkey ]

That's a bummer you had such a lousy experience. Honestly it's the most fun I've ever had in a fps. I loved DoD when it first came out and was really into that for years, but when RO came out...I was blown away and never went back. =) Anyhow, I guess the bottom line is with games like that you have to try several servers sometimes on different days to really get a good feel for "the game" since its true that in multiplayer settings the people playing can change the whole feel of the game. Wow, what a mouthful. Heh, anyhow, just my 6 cents.

Monk