Grueße aus Berlin: a MOD *Teaser*

Good day, gents. Some of you have probable heard me state -repeatedly- I wouldn't do buildings anymore, on account of them being a such lot of work.

Well, I lied. That is, thay are a lot of work, but I felt an itch that needed scratching.

so I started on the tall heavy buildings. I told myself I wouldn't bother coming up with something really new, just do the originals over, only better. That worked well for the first building. After that things went rapidly downhill. That's when the real work started. 's funny, but more than half the time goes into design, not the actual modding.

I heard people complain that battles taking place in Germany look kinda odd with all them ruskie buildings. and I -sucker that I am- went for it. ;)

So, a Berlin set. How's that sound? Cool? Well, this is how it looks.

3D anyone?

3Danyone-or.jpg

A familiar 'face.'

AFamiliarFace-or.jpg

Cool points for the one who can guess on which 'famous' Nazi buiding this one was based.

CoolPoints-or.jpg

Park the car, honey.

ParkTheCar-or.jpg

Window shopping in Berlin

WindowShopping-or.jpg

Where's the catch? Well, these are all still WIP's. I'm nearing the completion of the summer version. After that I'll take a break before I tackle the ever so boring 'beating-them-up-and-sprinkling-snow-on-them' part. So it will stillbe a couple of weeks before completion.

Juju

These really look like i know those ugly large buildings of the older larger city's in europe to be.

(i dont like the pink-ish, but the grey one and the more classic yellow-ish one...yes i see myself just like u, in those streets for real !!)

(if i say i dont like the pink-ish thats just because of the pink-ish colouring, the building itself is very o.k.)

Looking forwart to this indeed !

CAHOOL

[ July 15, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: theike ]

A dumb question from a cyber-idiot: If we download these new building mods, will the computer know when to use the German buildings (for scenarios closer to Germany) and when to use Russian buildings (will that Kremlin scenario now look like Berlin)? How will this work? I mean, it looks FANTASTIC!!! :D But...but...

I warned you that this was a stupid queston. Yep, when it comes to computers, I am as dumb as dirt. :rolleyes:

No it won't. But if you're like me and can be botheres, you'll make separate folders so save the Russian buildings (original) and German buildings (mod). When playing in Germany you will install the mod. When playing in Russia you will reinstall the originals.

v42below

Originally posted by Juju:

Thanks guys.

Theike, is it really that pink? Hmm. Ed, one of my playtesters, thought it was too pinkish as well. I thought I fixed it, but obviously not enough. I'll work on that, rest assured. smile.gif

Well, apart from pink being not my favourite colour some kind of pink is common in Germany. Heck, it is one of those colours allowed in medieval towns protected by "Denkmalschutz" (law protecting historical site from changes). Schwetzingen palace is pink.

But probably the pink colour depends on the kind of stone you find in the area. If the "Sandstein" used in the area is red, pink is more likely an option for 19c buildings as it fits the surrounding than when you use yellow stones in the vicinity - like in the Berlin Stadtschloß and probably most Berlin houses.

But I would not bet the farm there were no pink buildings in Berlin.

Gruß

Joachim

Be-uuuuuu-tiful! Muther be-uuuuu-tiful. Juju, with the work you put in, I can understand swearing off 'em. But when you do something soooo well.... well, it's just hard to give it up.

Ace.

Now, a realy dumb mod question from a soon to be CMBB newbie.

If I install beauties such as these for a 1945 game vs. Opponent #1, and have a 1941 game vs. Opp#2 and install pretty Russian buildings, does CM remember which mods go with which game? I doubt it's that complex yet, but I'll be happy if I'm surprised.....

Its true about the pink not being uncomon.

But im kinda viewing the citys in a whole here, in flight, and since there are only these few option buildings, that pink will be pretty much all over the place.

(and then everything gets a slight pinkish admosfere about it, if u know what i mean)

I think its best to go with the greys more, and the light ore dark more 'uncoloured' like colours, in more of a black to white tone. In general city's have a pretty grey/brown/white feel to it, in oversight, with just few coloured buildings. Well old city centers have grey to white buildings sometimes, and some regions go with white, but believe me in general its all set to a grey tone.

And as i said, there are only these few bmp's to go on.

Thats why i was so very happy with this grey building.

That one will make it all so much better.

Man im so glad.

JUJU is my man of the month...)

I dont know if i have seen this in the pic's already or not, but two slight different rooftops might do alot also.....

(Yes i think i see it now...)

[ July 16, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

Absolutely excellent!

One tiny question... how are battle damaged buildings done in cmbb? Are they separate bmp files or are the clean ones splashed with programmatically generated gunk on the fly? Bullet marks and shrapnel gashes on the stone walls would be very cool! Maybe as a mod option if not possible otherwise?

Originally posted by theike:

Its true about the pink not being uncomon.

But im kinda viewing the citys in a whole here, in flight, and since there are only these few option buildings, that pink will be pretty much all over the place.

(and then everything gets a slight pinkish admosfere about it, if u know what i mean)

I think its best to go with the greys more, and the light ore dark more 'uncoloured' like colours, in more of a black to white tone. In general city's have a pretty grey/brown/white feel to it, in oversight, with just few coloured buildings. Well old city centers have grey to white buildings sometimes, and some regions go with white, but believe me in general its all set to a grey tone.

And as i said, there are only these few bmp's to go on.

Thats why i was so very happy with this grey building.

That one will make it all so much better.

Man im so glad.

JUJU is my man of the month...)

I dont know if i have seen this in the pic's already or not, but two slight different rooftops might do alot also.....

(Yes i think i see it now...)

Remembering the quarter of Jena where I lived a few years ago, there were many coloured buildings: yellow, green and pink. Freshly renovated "Gründerzeit" (ca. 1900) buildings just like in Berlin.

Looking at Weimar - same thing

Heidelberg, Speyer, Düsseldorf - colours

Grey only as a result of air pollution (cars, industrial areas, fire...) and an overdue renovation. More likely in working class neighborhoods, in the industrial regions and in seasoned combat areas.

I opt for colours! Even if it is just to tell my troops "Storm that green building while the sIG flattens the pink one!"

Gruß

Joachim

I fully agree with Joachim. The buildings are grey in our mind because we know them from B/W pictures - or you know them from not being renovated for a long time. A nice dose of colour would do a lot to spice citymaps up.

Here are some examples from Berlin - these are all newly renovated, but the colours are quite realistic I would say. Especially since for renovations there are very tight regulations about colours in Germany.

rheins2.jpg

mauer2.jpg

tmuenzer7.jpg

knaak6.jpg

Schaper1.jpg

volta8.jpg

Thanks all,

For those who have never been to Germany, or Austria, for that matter, you wouldn't believe what Germans can do to a building, colourwise. :D

compared to what I've seen, my pink building is already grey.

But Theike is right; there's only three buildings, and the pinkish one could 'crowd' the view.

As for the game remembering what mods to use; it doesn't. You'd need to switch yourself. Plenty of ways to do that.

Jurpo, battle damage is 'applied' by the game. when a building has suffered a given amount of damaged the game will switch it for another file. This is essentially a copy of the original, with damage applied, by me, the modder. In short, each three texture building (front, side and back) has to be made in four versions totalling twelve BMP's per building, as such:

summer

summer damaged

winter

winter damaged

All these go into the game and the engine will simply display the appropriate one.

Andreas, thanks for the pics you posted.

I always found it typical that many windows in Germany feature the same cross piece in their windowframes, like in all your photos. But in my mod there are fewer than I thought. I may change that.

Still no takers for the contest from picture three? ;)

Well actualy, those pictures, are all zoomed in and centered to one building.

And i did say those where around i did.

But look at the buildings laying besides the ones u focus on?...

I dont think whole city centers where in new renovated bright colours anyway.

But the pics u uploaded are very nicely (un renovated as would probably be the case in the '40's)represented by JUJU's white classic building.

i think.

but anyway.

Im possitive JUJU comes up with just the right thing;

I will silently now start my waiting days.

Originally posted by Juju:

In short, each three texture building (front, side and back) has to be made in four versions totalling twelve BMP's per building, as such:

summer

summer damaged

winter

winter damaged

Translation: alot of fu**ing work. Which im sure is the reason he stopped making building mods awhile back. But is back for now. smile.gif Impatiently looking forward to these. Thank you very much for your hard work JuJu. Its greatly appreciated.

Looks like im gonna have a bit of a reunion with the SturmTiger to blow these big beautiful buildings sky high. :D

They look like the Berlin I know. Considering that about one of the only ways to set individual "wohnblocke" apart was with color it isn't that unusual to see multicolored streets. Some styles have changed in Berlin but basic things remain pretty constant.

Now once you get into individual houses it is a different story. I remember road marching through neighborhoods and not seeing a single house that looked like its neighbors.

Well done.