Are you ready to rumble?

I'm kicking around the idea of hosting a rumble.

What's a rumble you say? Back in my ASL/VASL days some folks came up with the idea of a team tank rumble. A game master ran an ASL game consisting entirely of tanks (later combined arms units were tried) and each player controlled a single tank. A command structure is used for each side (e.g. Company CO, Exec, Platoon COs) and radio nets are used, so that all the COs can communicate, and COs can communicate with their unit, but tanks from one unit can't talk directly with tanks from other units.

It was always a blast (as much for the communications banter as for the game itself), and it's amazing how hard it is to coordinate an attack/defense when you only directly control your individual vehicle.

My rough idea for how this would work is that I, as the gamemaster would set up a game, players would select which side they'd want to be on (you won't know the exact units until you've enlisted), each side would select a CO who would then fill out his (or her) command structure and assign players to individual units. Victory will be determined as normally, but individual players will be scored based on kills, recon missions, controlling victory locations, etc. (a lot of this TBD if enough people are interested).

Players would basically just receive each turn's movie to watch, exchange a round of radio messages and then send in the moves via e-mail (e.g. "hunt forward 150m to the clump of scattered trees directly ahead and stop. Rotate 45 degrees clockwise and area fire at the building 200m to my front"). So the player acts as the commander of the vehicle, and the gamemaster handles the driving and gun-laying tasks, so you'd better give clear and unambiguous orders! smile.gif

I'd like to make the situation(s) somewhat historical, but might need help from somebody with a more extensive reference library to come up with the details.

So, what say you? Are you ready to rumble?

Gordon

[This message has been edited by Gordon (edited 03-05-2001).]

Shameless, self-serving bump.

Come on guys. If we're going to do this, I'd like to have a Company/Squadron/whatever per side, so we're shooting for 12 to 16 players per side. Talk it up with your friends, get some recruitment going. We can try it out with fewer players, but the more the merrier.

"Uncle Gordon wants you!"

Gordon

"I've always wanted to play gamemaster/dungeonmaster/god"

Originally posted by Cleavis:

oh, never mind, i won't be able to do it, i just realized that ill not be able to do that for a while, until i get better, as im not that good at the moment.

Cleavis,

"get better", how? I'm assuming that you meant in the sense of your game abilities, and not, I hope, with regards to your health.

If you don't feel you're a good enough player, please don't let that stop you. What better way to practice your tank driving skills than when you only have to be responsible for a single tank, and don't have to worry about infantry, aircraft or AT guns?

Gordon

Ok, time for another bump.

We're halfway there. I'll settle for two "light" companys of two platoons/troops and a CO. To further clarify things (and to hopefully pump up some enthusiasm), let's say that we'll have Commonwealth forces on one side (so there will be a couple of Fireflys to play with).

If we get more than players than needed for the two light companys I'd like to add some recon elements (for all you Cavalry/Cowboy/loner types out there).

Gordon

(Bump, ba dum, bump)

Ok, we've got enough for a German platoon (with possibly a little recce attached) and a Commonwealth Troop (again with some attached elements). Let's see some more interest out there!

The more the merrier!

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:

Ok, one last bump to catch any European insomniacs and US late-nighters.

Wouldn't you like an opportunity to command men (and maybe a woman or two), instead of just the computer?

Gordon

Bearing in mind that we are taling about playing one turn at a time, is it wise to expect too much from the people on GMT (ie 6 or 7 hours difference) from the rest of us? This is a great idea, but may well prove to be a logistical nightmare.

Perhaps you may want to set specific days/nights on when we will be submitting turns? Or imposing a minimum (say 1 turn every day or 2 days? Or two days a week in which we all commit to 4 or 5 turns?)