What I'd like to see next for CM

Hello everyone. I thoroughly enjoy playing CMBO, and I'm looking forward to CMBB... I know that this topic has been saturated, but I'd like to see one of these three "themes" for CM III:

1) CMFF (Combat Mission Fall of France) I know that BTS has explained why they went with beyond Overlord, but I still think that the combat between the Germans and French + English was quite challenging to say the least. The French, believe it or not, had superior tanks to those of the Germans. The Germans took France only because of the combination of their new style of warfare (blitzkrieg) and ingenuity of their soldiers and commanders. Putting in nice fortification tiles to simulate the various "lines" and forts would be awesome!

2) CMMK (Combat Mission Medieval Kingdom) As I stated in another thread, I used to enjoy playing Lords of the Realm 2 by Sierra. Although CM's 60sec engine would not be appropriate for this, in my opinion, if it were modified to something like 4 hrs or 4 quarters per day, it could work. Overall, this would be a fun game.

Finally, 3) CMRE (Combat Mission Roman Empire) Again, as I stated in another thread, I used to also enjoy playing Caesar III. Now, if BTS were to just focus on a combat game between the Romans and their various enemies throughout the ages, I think there would be another really nice game.

What do you guys think?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by themaltese:

1) CMFF (Combat Mission Fall of France)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would like to play early war. i would agree with playing france, and i would also REALLY like to see all the minor nationalities that battled early war against the germans (like hollow legions for ASL). i would REALLY REALLY like to see the possibility to recreate the drop on crete! that would be a fun one!!

Future plans for CM are:

CM3: Mediterranean (North Africa & Italy)

CM4: Early War (Poland, Finland/USSR Winter War, West Front 40, Norway 40, Balkans/Greece/Crete)

It's possible that either CM3 or CM4 will utilize the CMII engine (CMBO & CM2/CMBB are using the CMI engine), which will add Absolute Spotting and several other details to the game.

My guess is that CM4's Early War will include the Crete and Greece campaigns that you're looking for.

As for Allied Minors, they should be there too. How many of them I'm not sure. I guess the biggest factor for including them would be if they had a different OOB/TOE from the other allied combatants and if they were a significant presence in the field for a decent length of time.

For CM2 BTS is trying really hard to include all of the significant minor Axis partners. I assume they'll make a similar effort for follow on CMs.

What I wish is that a bunch of different companies would realize that the CM engine is the greatest engine for Tac gamin in the WHOLE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, and then would offer BTS a zillion dollars to liscense it, and then make a game based on CM for everything the possible could, especially:

WW1

BattleTech and/or Renegade Legions

Romans

Persians vs. Byzantium

Fall of France

Historical Medival Warfare

Fantasy Medival Warfare

Maybe something based on Ring of Red (which would be sorta like BattleTech + CM)

Then I could never buy another computer game again other than the ones based on CM, and they'ed be comming out often enough I wouldnt spend all mytime chewing on the furniture in frustration waiting for the next CM game. smile.gif

I would hope that when the CMII engine comes out that the source for CMI may be licensed, it would make perfect sense, but that sort of thing is tough. It nearly ruined Bungie, almost a duplicate of CM in terms of manpower and design strategy in its early days, because their are a lot of sharks and fools paddling around the software business.

Wow! :cool: I'm happy! It looks like I got my wish too. :D I'm really looking forward to combat in the early phases of WWII... Can anyone tell me if BTS plans on just sticking with the WWII theme though? Steve? Charles?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTS has always said thay they know Eropean WW2 best, and that is where they will stick. Steve looked into the pacific even for a while, but did not like what he found in terms of modelling.

I agree, Slapdragon. The Pacific theater with it's island hopping campaign was, for the majority, a carrier war. For CM to do the Pacific, there would be invasion after invasion of different islands.

On a different note, I can't see why BTS can't apply its engine to some other "theme" involving a lot of ground warfare.

I agree, Slapdragon. The Pacific theater with it's island hopping campaign was, for the majority, a carrier war. For CM to do the Pacific, there would be invasion after invasion of different islands.

On a different note, I can't see why BTS can't apply its engine to some other "theme" involving a lot of ground warfare.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they can. I just think WW2 is were they are the most versed and have the best libraries. Steve and Charles are very groggy in how they go about things.

Would Burma-China be a possibilty? There was about as much ground combat as you could wish. Maybe models of the geography would be tricky to code? I know there wasn't a huge US presence but I'm a Slim fan.

Steve mentioned in previous posts (awhile back) they that had a "12 year plan" for CM/BTS. After CM4 it's a pretty big guess as to what will be next. I wouldn't completely rule out the Pacific theater (which did include much more action than my beloved Corps engaged in), but Steve has admitted that it isn't something that has struck them as interesting (at least in comparison to European/North African theaters).

As for licensing the engine, that is a bit more of a complex deal than it would appear. First BTS would have to support the engine for other developers, which is a job in-and-of itself. Second, without more programmers on hand CM would be put on hold (or vastly slowed down in its development) to give adequate time to updating/supporting the engine code for other game developers. On top of these considerations, game developers already have a number of engines to pick from. While we're all great fans of CM, the number of "hot" features that it supports at the moment is limited compared to other 3D engines. This fact is of primary interest to the marketing depts of said game developers who largely determine what the next product should be. So Steve's work would be cut out trying to market CM's engine to other developers (uh... marketers that is), instead of coordinating efforts and research for CM. If BTS wanted to go into game-engine development I'm sure Charles, et al would be technically capable of going that route(writing a more "dazzling" graphic engine, etc.), but I believe CM would be "the baby thrown out with the bathwater" in order to go in that direction.

I hope BTS sticks with WWII and continues to produce the BEST games for that genre, even if that means going back over theatres that have already been covered.

No other war has, or ever will, (we probably won't be here after the next big one) attract as much interest as WWII, and i think it makes good business sense for them to concentrate on that.

I mean, it's funny that OPF fans are already clammering for a WWII mod to be made and the game hasn't been out for more than a month.

Good WWII games will ALWAYS sell!

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Manx ]

Yes, when IS CMBB coming out? The Russians are going to be quite the challenge I think. More specifically, I think Russia is going to be quite the challenge. After having read books by Guderian and Carius, I figure that CMBB will be quite the mud slinging contest! :cool:

I still don't know why everyone thinks of the Pacific as "island-hopping"... tell that to the Seppos and Diggers in New Guinea, or the Brits and the Yanks in Burma, or even the Bandy-legged Runts (literal Chinese translation) in China.

My vote goes strongly for CM 5, a Pacific game where infantry is very clearly Queen of the Battlefield, more so than any other possible CM game.

The French, believe it or not, had superior tanks to those of the Germans. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, couldn't let this one pass. The French did not have better tanks (a common misconception). What they had was better armor and bigger guns. What they didn't have was 3 man turrets (or even 2), viable communication or mechanical reliability ('cept the Somua and possibly the H-39). These factors far outweigh armor and gun. Also, France is slated for CM4 (2 being Russian Front and 3 the Med)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

I would hope that when the CMII engine comes out that the source for CMI may be licensed, it would make perfect sense, but that sort of thing is tough. It nearly ruined Bungie, almost a duplicate of CM in terms of manpower and design strategy in its early days, because their are a lot of sharks and fools paddling around the software business.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which game engine source did Bungie license out that almost ruined them? Myth was a great game, but Take Two, who ironicaly are now making Myth III (which looks great btw) had invested a large percentage of money into the Bungie. Bungie had had to let Take Two have something since they had so much invested. Bungie decided to take the high road, cash in, and make games for microsoft. Bungie Sold out, or cashed in. They won't last.

BTW - what I would like to see in CMII's engine is more detailed individualy modeled armor hits.

MG 42 teams able to run for a very limited time, leaving ammo behind as the rush out of a situation when hell is on the heals.

MG 151/15 and 151/20 modeled.

More vehicles modeled. Hypothetical models, such as JS III, Panther II / F, Maus.

Campaign mode. Something a bit more advanced then the current operations in CMBO.

More then one skin for each vehicle. An example would be a seeing a two Panther A 's in the game with different modded skins with different numbers and so on.

Some of the ambiant sounds need to be a bit quiter. Winds can be loud at times but the worst part about the ambiant sounds is when there is fire on the field or fire on a building. The fire is just way to loud. Can't here much if you are near that area.

And of course the most widely requested feature for CM of all time, the ability to play back and save the entire video of a game at once. The day that is possible the game will change forever.

Hi,

We all have our preferences as regards settings for war games.

For me the “big three”, in terms of environments for versions of CM are, in no particular order,

1) North West Europe 44/45

2) Eastern Front

3) Current OPFOR.

Due to the fact the BTS want to keep everything “in-house” we are to be rationed as to the number of games they can turn out. I feel it would be a shame to devote an entire 18 months developing a game set outside of the “big-three” I have listed above.

As for CMII, I my priorities would be a) a live multi-player option, team play, B) a quality operational layer from which it would be possible to “zoom-down” to play a given engagement at the current CM scale. Very like the CMMC system.

Of course, we all have a different “wish list” of things we would like to see BTS devote their time to. For my part, I realise I am not likely to get my wishes fore-filled. No matter. I am 100% confident that whatever they come up with will be stunning.

If BTS do not wish to do an OPFOR game my vote would for a return to NW Europe 44/45 in CMII.

All the best,

Kip.

I know this was already discussed before, but could we have please, please, a kind of "follow me command". I would like to spend more time on tactics and terrain study instead of plotting.

Follow me command :

1 right click group units

2 designate leader

3 plot waypoints for leader

Execution :

1 leader follows plotted path.

2 designated group units move to initial starting point of the leader using shortest way and from there on follow the wapoints plotted out for the leader.

3 In order to avoid units bumping into each other at the end of the plotted route, the TacAI should deploy the units in column, in V or W shape around the leader once arrived.

If one vehicle or unit get's killed or runs in ambush, The TacAI can make the other vehicles/units go for shelter or make retreat just as now happens during group command.