ASL 2 CM site gone?

Originally posted by Maximus:

OK, but if it is truly a copyright issue, that would be like BTS doing the same regarding the letters "CM" or "CMBO". So any site that mentioned CM would be illegal. Sounds stupid doesn't it?

If this is truly the case, I am hereby copyrighting the word "copyright". Anybody using the word "copyright" must immediately cease using the word under strict penalty of law. If one fails to cease, I shall rain down the ultimate hell of the legal system in getting every last penny you own.

Maximus, let's listen to Madmatt. You're right, it's stupid - but BTS cultivates interest in gaming, Hasbro/MultiMan/whomever doesn't/don't. Combat Mission and its owners understand that we enthusiasts are helping sell their game.

If I am getting the gist of things, BTS and its employees are not going to make themselves a target for legal action by speaking publicly about their involvement with ASL and its owners.

Don't forget BTS was at one time working on the "official" translation of ASL to computer game.

As we all know those plans fell through.

I haven't seen any public discussion of this anywhere.

BTS isn't going to talk about it - which is fine, its none of our business.

Thanks for the heads up, Madmatt.

Maximus, let's all let it drop. John was right, we all jumped to conclusions about copyright issues, but Madmatt is telling us in a subtle way not to push the matter.

This probably ain't the place to discuss it any further lest we get BTS into hot water.

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 02-08-2001).]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Madmatt

Listen to what he said above...

By the way Maximus, certain words come under the term "Fair Use" or "Public Domain" and can not be copyrighted. wink.gif

Madmatt

A damn tragedy! Thats was one superb quality site. I just happened to download the latest PBEMv3 pack probably just hrs before the plug was pulled (let me know any of you want it) Im really shocked.

Col Klotz <=SALUTE=> for what was a great site. Hope it can be reincarnated again, much like Kumps CM Outpost was.

The bastards!

Lt Bull

[This message has been edited by Lt Bull (edited 02-08-2001).]

Well yes, I'll drop it, but what a bunch of crock. I mean it sounds like they don't want free advertising. And then the whole thing about being teamed up with AH to do Computer ASL and then getting this shoved in our face is like pouring salt into old wounds. GEEZ, the nerve of the "BIG GUYS".

I'll tell ya what, if I ran a site that contained ASL related material and was told to shut down because of "unlicensed" use of ASL material I would tell them to shove it. As long as I'm not claiming any material as my own, then there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong. But yeah, if I said ASL-24 by Dave Molinarolo, then yeah, but please!!!

I still say, these big wigs are overstepping their boundaries. And even as mentioned above, the ASL 2 CM website was even featured in one of their reviews and now the same organization is making him shut down is a bunch of crap!

[Conspiracy Theory] Is that anything to do with "killing off" competition by shutting down some of their support sites.

I can't imagine since Colonel is not making a ASL port directly to PC!!! I think his site was benefitial to both CMBO and ASL!

Too bad, the site is history.

[silience for 5 minutes]....

Fortunately, some of the scenarioes are available somewhere else, including CMHQ.

Scenario & Ops makers! I hereby announce we all go for guerrila warfare and put our converted scenarioes around the Ring!!! Harsbo killed one ASL2CM site but there are thousands of ASL2CM carrying on!

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I agree with Griffin.

Let's make Col. Klotz's work available on our sites.

Then we can defeat "the Evil Company" and also make sure that all the great work is available for all true war-gamers.

Col. Klotz - RIP

The Adder

CM-OKW

------------------

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so by learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead, to remind me I'm best" - Edmund Blackadder

I think I have every single scenario and operations, with the possible exception of PBEM Pack v.3, if anybody still wants it, drop me a email. It may not be the most u2d though.

Fight on people with the spirit of ASL2CM!!!

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Having some (positive--seriously!) experience with how lawyers work, I highly recommend not trying to interpret the law yourself unless you're qualified. Having to hire a lawyer to defend yourself from accusations, true or false, can cost you a fortune in a hurry--we're talking hundreds of dollars per hour.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

A couple of points.

Firstly can we all calm down - it appears that the site has closed because Col. Klotz hasn't the time to maintain it. No one has presented any evidence that Hasbro or MMP have set the lawyers on him, it's just idle speculation and rumour. It's a shame that the site has gone and I hope the attempts to host the scenarios elsewhere are successful.

Secondly a suggestion to scenario designers, as Matt says don't mention ASL, just say that your scenario was inspired by a scenario in a 'famous board game'. Most people will understand what you mean and I'm pretty certain you'll be OK in law. JD or Lawyer could probably confirm this, but we can't afford them smile.gif.

Originally posted by MikeT:

Firefly, I can openly say that in the message to me the Col said that his school time was more valuable to him.

At no time did he say he recieved a cease and desist letter or instruction from anyone.

MikeT

Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

Sir and Madam,

For all of your kind inquiry about the scenarioes "inspired by that 'famous board game'", I am sorry I mixed them up with other creations, so please be patient as I take time to sort them out.

Since it is quite murdeous to everybody, I am to put them all in one place so that you can download in a piece. If anybody who have PBEM v.3, please send that to me @ "griffinchengcm@yahoo.com", too cause I want to include that in my "collection".

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Regards,

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Is it possible for somebody to take up his site and carry on, at least for the sake of restoring all maps and scenarioes? May be somebody can get him or herself a public web hosting account and maintain?

Griffin.

Originally posted by MikeT:

Firefly, I can openly say that in the message to me the Col said that his school time was more valuable to him.

At no time did he say he recieved a cease and desist letter or instruction from anyone.

MikeT

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Okay, I am willing to run my first website for this community. In fact this may be the first web site I setup without getting paid.

Any chance to connect with the Colonel?

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I thought COL Koltz ran ASL2CM from Finland or Sweden? Or some place in northern Europe.

Do you really think Hasbro would mobilize international lawyers to take down something as petty as the ASL2CM scenario site?

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

Let me know when a suitable site has been put up to house these creations so I can find a new home for all my poor vagabond converted scenarios. (has entered a period of mourning). I would prefer having my conversions on one site only however, and I plan on continuing to convert scenarios in the face of all this controversy. I hope that Berlichtigen will do the same. Glory goes to the bold!! smile.gif

This news is a real shame. I thought the site was, if anything, beneficial to ASL. I certainly hope someone else picks up the torch on this. Here's to playing a CM version of "The Guards Counterattack" someday.

------------------

expert \'ek-,spert'\ n : someone who knows more and more about less and less until eventually they know everything about nothing

Originally posted by Doug Williams:

This news is a real shame. I thought the site was, if anything, beneficial to ASL. I certainly hope someone else picks up the torch on this. Here's to playing a CM version of "The Guards Counterattack" someday.

Not to mention Hill 621. And Sowchos 79...

Did anyone convert The Road To Wiltz yet? (The one that, in original SL, had four boards laid end to end? - Or for that matter, the St. Goar Assault?)

This actually inspires me to go and convert some of those 200 series Rogue scenarios that were unplayable in SL (all the ones featuring Canadian units seemed to involve massive terrain changes - ie all hills were really ground level mud, etc.)

I'd be happy to give all this stuff a home on a freeserver, but it seems someone else has already volunteered, so more power to them. This stuff all "belongs" to the Colonel, too, right - would be nice to get his blessing on the continuation of his site somewhere else. We all owe him a lot of thanks.

BTW, good news I feel that I have all of his scenarios and maps except for one or two of the latest. They have proved invaluable in the conversions of scenarios for DFDR. I was able to work up a scenario requested by a gamer a few days ago "Swatting at Tigers" Haven't tried it yet, no time for testing scenarios. I still have around 6 left to create, map wise that is, then I must find them playtested.

MikeT