American TD names

What are the name and number combination for the american Tank Destroyers (if they all are), M10, M18 and M36? Do these connect in any way to the names Jackson and Hellcat?

I'm quite confused... :confused:

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: claespiper ]

Hello

M10 = Wolverine

M18 = Hellcat

M36 = Jackson

These were the unofficial names attached to these tanks. The British in particular were very fond of naming US tanks especially with the names of US generals ie M4 Sherman and M3 Grant/Lee.

Later

Thanks

Why I asked was that in several mods covering the M10 is is stated "Note: Bmps are also shared with the Wolverine and M36 Jackson TD's, so they will be altered as well."

So I would think that the M10 and the Wolverine is not the same AFV?

Regards

Claes

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: claespiper ]

As I recall, a lot of these AFV 'nicknames' were created out of necessity. The US Army official designations were things like "Gun Motor Carriage, M-10", or "Howitzer Motor Carriage, M-8". ('M' for 'Model'). Needless to say this sort of designation is too much of a mouthful to be useful in anything but paperwork, and if you tried to use the model number as a shorthand way of refering to a vehicle the confusion was worse. There were different model numbers for each class of 'thing'. So if you said 'M-8' you might mean a Greyhound (Armored Car M-8) or a HMC M-8, or 'model-8' of anything else. Thus the nicknames came into being (I think just by general concensus / usage among the troops) to prevent this sort of confusion.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgdpzr:

Actually, the British version of the M10 (with 17pounder) is the Achilles. Wolverine is the US version.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaack! Brain Drain Syndrome. Can't believe I said that. Thanks for the correction, jgdpzr.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Aaack! Brain Drain Syndrome. Can't believe I said that. Thanks for the correction, jgdpzr.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, sometimes methinks me brain resides in a timezone far removed from the rest of my body, so I can definitely relate.

I can see how nick-names would be nessesary. If you simply talk about an M1A1, you could be refering to an Abrams tank or a Thomson sub-machine gun!

Although I'm pretty sure that in '44, they'd just assume you're talking about the tommy...

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Guy w/gun ]

AFAIK, the names were initially conjured up by the British, for the lend-lease tanks. UK practice was (and is) to name AFV's. They chose to use US generals' names (Honey/Stuart/Grant/Sherman) Priest was so named because of the pulpit.

Later, the US got in on the act, and assigned "Chaffee" "Pershing" etc.

Nomenclature still remains, the US still giving a numeric & often unused General's name (what was the M60 called?), the UK calling everything medium/heavy "C" (Chieftan/ Challenger) and light stuff "S" (Scimitar/ Saracen/ Scorpion) and the Germans cats (leopard). Russians have stuck to "T". And the French? Who cares...

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

(what was the M60 called?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We called the stock versions "Pattons" since they were little more than an upgraded M48. If modified with special armour, they were known as "Merkavot Giborey Ha'milchama" (Chariot of Heroes), or just "Ma'gach".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

The Wolverine is the British variant of the M-10, mounting a 17 lber. instead of the US 3" (76.2mm).

Also, the M36B1 version, manufactured in a different plant than the M36 (GM maybe? I don't recall) was commonly known as the "Slugger".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the M36B1 version used the turret from the M36 mated to the hull of the M4A3. This version was being used in the Balkans very recently.

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Priest set the pattern for this type.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did not the Bishop significantly predate the Priest? I'm wondering if the old "pulpit" story is just some myth.

From what I can tell the Brit-type TD names (Achilles, Wolverine, Hellcat, etc.) all POST-DATE WWII(!), only showing up in Brit vehicle lists about '46-47 or so. Those names were then picked up by the hobby press in the 60's and 70's. It's strange to think the Achilles had not been known as the Achilles during the war.

This does NOT apply to tanks names- the names Sherman, Lee, and Churchill were all used during the war.

Just a quick question about the Churchills:

Were they named after the prime minister? I always had the perception that he was not really beloved during the war (in fact he lost the election while in Postdam, a thing that always have stunned me as political scientist...). Maybe the name was after one the ancestors of the prime minister´s distinguished family, as Marlborough....

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Blenheim ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

We called the stock versions "Pattons" since they were little more than an upgraded M48. If modified with special armour, they were known as "Merkavot Giborey Ha'milchama" (Chariot of Heroes), or just "Ma'gach".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Merkavot Giborey Ha'milchama"?

Shall we call you "Babra the Sabra"?

--Joshik

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joshik:

Shall we call you "Babra the Sabra"?

--Joshik<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:D Actually, Sabras are native. I am a Galut.

:D I am a Galut.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew it! "That Babra," I used to say to myself, "is just one big galoot!"

[galoot: FELLOW; esp. one that is strange or foolish.]

;)

Michael

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Did not the Bishop significantly predate the Priest? I'm wondering if the old "pulpit" story is just some myth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may have me there. Worth looking into; I seem to remember the "pulpit" story being referenced in some reputable places but damned if I can remember where...

Guest Babra

Yep. Big Galoot. Sneaky M***fer. One of those.

Anyway, the Bishop (quite possibly the ugliest AFV ever fielded) predated the Sexton and Priest by about a year in Commonwealth service. So the precedent of a clerical name for SP Artillery was already set. I think the "pulpit" story for the Priest is a barracks myth, though I hear it again and again.