New MOD for modders announcement: annotated textures

Ever wondered what texture maps make up a specific unit, or how they are actually mapped to the underlying 3-d model? Well, an easy way to find out is to use the annotated textures illustrated here.

They are of the same resolution as the original ones supplied with the game, but contain checkerboard-patterned, colour-coded, annotated textures instead of the actual game textures - see the images below for some examples.

The 16x16 background pattern allows for convenient observation of where textures meet, how they are draped over the model, and how much scaling occurs when mapped to the model. The consistent colour scheme (based on the last digit 0-9 of the file name) can be used to figure out a texture's number if the actual number happens to be partly or wholly obscured.

For instance:

annotated_1.jpg

For more sample images, and a small zip file containing all vehicle and gun textures, see:

Voidhawk's Annotated Textures for CM:BO

voidhawk showed this to me last night and I think it's a fantastic little "tool" for the mod community. I've always done something like this on an ad hoc basis when I was working on mods, but this is definitely going into my "bag of tricks".

Thanks voidhawk,

Gordon

Great work, Voidhawk!!! I was almost getting worried that no-one has made a mod about the Panzer Parade Camo used in the "Wir lieben der Führer Tag" carneval. I just hope that this isn't the ready version, because you could add some more dirt to the tracks... tongue.gif

I don't do mods (no talent), but that's really cool. Probably woulda been very handy for those poor souls who took on doing the various infantry guns with all their undefined bits and pieces. smile.gif

I didn't realize the gun barrel textures were stretched so much. If you make the texture BMP wider (but not taller) will the game force it to fit better (without stretching) or just truncate the BMP?

It also raises the question of why BTS chose to use one texture slot (4020 Axis, 4023 Allied) for both tracks and treads on HTs (it couldn't really save that much VRAM, could it?). Hopefully that will change for CMBB.

- Chris

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> wow, another good part is you can have a WINTER annotated set by simply adding a "1" in front of each of the summer bmp's! <hr></blockquote>

I presume you are joking, right? I didn't see a smily though...

[if you are still wondering, there is no point in doing winter textures of course - unless you prefer a "snowy" to a "whitewashed" version smile.gif ]

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by voidhawk:

JuJu - if you want something else done like this, just let me know, and I can make another zip file.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Voihawk, but the dabbling and tinkering (both words used in the broadest possiblesense) I do is usually on the straightforward stuff. so, no need really (for me that is). But thanks for the offer anyway. smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by voidhawk:

I presume you are joking, right? I didn't see a smily though...

[if you are still wondering, there is no point in doing winter textures of course - unless you prefer a "snowy" to a "whitewashed" version smile.gif ]<hr></blockquote>

ah prefa' snow!

seriously, ever see the snow covered half tracks by magua? magnific...

Are you looking for just the grass tiles, or all the various terrain tiles? Without having tried doing any terrain mods, it is not clear to me how the annotated textures would be of help here, as there does not seem to be any complicated 3-d wrapping going on. Isn't there simply 1 texture per tile (except for grass?) Perhaps I am missing something?

Anyway, if you think they would be helpful, I can certainly take a stab at it.