OT Enemy at the gates: Opens this Friday?

RANT=ON

,,What is the general consesus on this one? The preview didnt show much, and I havent heard much about it. I saw Crouching Tiger...and saw a preview for 1942, and the preview really pissed me off. My bull**** sensor was going completely off the charts. That scene with the american flag under-water was too much for me. It looks like a colorized version of a WPB movie done just after the attack. PROPAGANDA PROPAGANDA PROPAGANDA! CG cant save everything, it may have saved private ryan, but it wont save this one.

RANT =OFF

P.S. Hi mom.

Starship troopers--Great book, crappy movie. I didn't expect a 100% accurate portrayal from the movie but it really wasn't anything like the book except for the bugs. I really can't accept Dougie Housier as some neo SS/intel officer. Can you take a wild guess what inspired the uniforms in that movie?? smile.gif

Does anybody know if the movie will be available, in some shape or form with alternative endings?

Normally I wouldn't even consider it but reading about how it was sweetened to please the American audiences, after the movie was basically done, made me wonder if the originally intended end might be available.

M.

Originally posted by Mattias:

Does anybody know if the movie will be available, in some shape or form with alternative endings?

Normally I wouldn't even consider it but reading about how it was sweetened to please the American audiences, after the movie was basically done, made me wonder if the originally intended end might be available.

M.

i think the germans still lose the war...

but yeah, it seems a bit of hollywood got in there: russian AMERICAN love interest, part where he has no faith in his ability. u KNOW either his friend or girlfriend are gonna get killed...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 02-26-2001).]

Commissar,

It is basically a European (whatever that means) production. However, there is a lot of US investment money in it and the American audiences are expected to cover a large part of the costs, hence the influence.

As for the exact nature of the sweetening I can recall all the details but, to put it simply, it is no longer as "war weary" as it was intended.

Imagine that the movie Das Boot would have ended something like this and I think you get the general idea:

The exhausted crew returns to base and is greeted by the cheers of the surrounding dock workers (dirty and sweaty in just the right way), guards (over sized nazi insignias), navy officers (paternal and benevolent figures), tons of other people representing different professions signifying the greatness of the nation and the unity of its people, and lastly the star eyed wives and girlfriends. The latter having been brought in from all over Germany just to great our crew.

Perhaps the mass of people surrounding the heroes will silence and turn, slowly parting, towards a shy little girl that longs for her daddy that has been gone for so long.

Picking up the sweet child the captain and his men turn to face the naval officers, saluting casually, yet unmistakably heroic. The Admirals, yes all of them are here, are looking at these dirty and torn (yet remarkably plump faced) men with the eyes of fathers that suddenly realise that their boys have become men.

Dispensing with the formalities the captain shakes the hand of the über Admiral (daughter still on the arm of course). The seasoned officer is almost moved to tears. Grinning and beaming of pride he playfully scolds the captain for disobeying orders 936 times the last mission. After all, the old veteran knows that you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and personal initiative is, really, vastly superior to co-ordinated action.

Finally the captain and his second in command nod to each other, the session is over. The crew, the debriefing and the countless other tasks are left behind as they walk away into the sunset, perhaps chewing on a cigar, one arm around the woman and the child on the other...

The war is over for these guys, they ain't coming back to become some damn figure in the casualty statistics. They are just too gosh darn important, heck they are the heroes of this here movie!

Or, well, something like that...

M.

Funny how things work out sometimes. If you go over to the Operation Flashpoint website (can't remember the address) there is a history of snipers there which includes the one featured in Enemy at the Gates. Interestingly enough, there is some evidence that the famous sniper duel may never have happened. I cannot be sure of the validity of the evidence, however.

Go check it out.

From the little I know the sniper duel never took place, and would be pretty far fetched.

Sniper's primary mission was to take out artillery observers and foremost officers.

Then of course as many others as possible, would there be a sniper among them, all the better.

But if the sniper duel is a bit down-tuned... why not.

Btw, where on earth did you find that version of Das Boot wink.gif

That would be the day Howardb smile.gif

Reading about the emasculation of Enemy at the gates reminded me about a film called "The Strike" by the UK based group Comic Strip.

It tells the hilarious tale of how a documentary drama about the big miners strike is turned into action flick by Hollywood dollars.

If you get the chance to see it you'll see the connection...

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 02-27-2001).]

Stefan:

That particular duel with Der Ubersniper from Berlin cannot be found in Sgt Zaitsev's combat log (hey, how would he know one from another?). However, there are several duels with snipers recorded in there. The worst enemy of a frontline sniper was another frontline sniper.

As for the movie, well, I've read the book "War of Rats", which is the basis fr scenario. It had all the same crap that was already mentioned here - such as three or four bed scenes, femme fatale from America and so on. And above all else, Commander of 62nd's Sniper School Sgt Zaitsev calling his partner in the middle of combat mission "Vasilyushka". Oh soooo sweeet... frown.gif

From what I hear, the movie takes all this crap staight from the book and adds some more (such as hordes of desperate russian peasants storming a german machine gun nest, while their commissars are watching them in periscope from behind the lines). Can anyone say "Saving Private Ryan-2"?

I read war of the rats, in fact that author is from Richmond VA. Utter and complete tripe. It is like a Daniel Steele novel for war novel grog people. The worst part of the book is this one sex scene in particular. These two people crawl through a sewer on their knees, a la Shawshank Redemption. Covered in foul smelling human excrement, they proceed to have sex.

Pah, c'mon now. Just because a movie has some interpersonal interaction doesn't mean it isn't a great film!

I for one loved SPR, not just because it was a great film (which it is, in that heavy-handed Spielberg sort of way), but because I think it did a good job of depicting the era. The unity of the nation, the desperateness of war, it's all in there.

So, it's a little hollywood... who cares? It's got great actors and a passable story, and even more then that, it brings back the feel of the era.

I don't know much groggy stuff, so I wouldn't notice if some tank's turret was 5mm too small or somesuch, I just enjoyed it as a film smile.gif