Any comment on CMBB and a variable turn ending option

Hi

There are about 20 of us playing in the two Winecape tournements organized by Treeburst.

We are all playing about 9 games in the tourney. EVERY game is CAL rules and with a Varible turn ending, meaning the games are 25 turns +/- 4 turns. This ONE, new addition and requirement ALONE, adds a whole new dimension to the way the game ends and I prefer it now to games I play where both parties know the end turn and prepare for the inevitable and ubiquitous (Happens EVERY time) Flag rush.

I an sincerely hoping a fair, cheat proof and secure variable end turn option will find its way into CMBB.

Has anyone read anything about this any where?

Has Steve commented on this option somewhere and I have missed it?

Just wondering?

-tom w

I am! for one.

It seems to work excellently in my PBEM battles where I've used it so far.

Hopefully Badco & Co. can also put forward some kind of lobby to BTS to include this mechanics into CM2?

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

I fully agree and heartily wish BTS would integrate this feature. It would ensure that players have a more realistic, and tactically enjoyable game. In every game I play they always end with a last minute rush of vehicles, crews, FO's etc. This methodolgy is extremely frustrating for any one who has legitamately fought and won the VLs but is stymied at the end when in the last turn the VLs are in contest because of a SDkfz7 prime mover that just drove up. :eek: Adding this feature will improve the game tenfold. We currently have this ability with the BadCo End Game Randomizer, however it would be easier for the Non-PC guru types who just want to play the game if this feature were integrated within the engine.

I know the PC folks have a Variable turn ending option program for CM but there are no plans for a Mac version.

How does this variable turn ending program work? if the battle is set for 20 turns are you at least guranteed 20 turns or will it maybe end before 20?

This thing about people rushing the flag at the last minute with crews and FO is really dishonorable and nothing i hate more is when after i knock there halftrack or armor and they bring up the crew to the frontline to fight.

I normally spend some extra time after knocking out armor and continue firing to disable the crew.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrl:

I know the PC folks have a Variable turn ending option program for CM but there are no plans for a Mac version.

How does this variable turn ending program work? if the battle is set for 20 turns are you at least guranteed 20 turns or will it maybe end before 20?

This thing about people rushing the flag at the last minute with crews and FO is really dishonorable and nothing i hate more is when after i knock there halftrack or armor and they bring up the crew to the frontline to fight.

I normally spend some extra time after knocking out armor and continue firing to disable the crew.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

In the Winecape tourneys the setting is 25 turns -/+ 4 turns this means the game could end after the 21st turn or on any turn up until the after the 29th turn.

The random game end turn thing is a setting in game turns and a -/+ number that is the varible.

so you could say 30 turns -/+ 10% (3 turns) then the game could end after turn 27 or any turn after that up to turn 33.

for competitive tournements this is the ONLY way, it really just means the flag rush starts early but you still never know when the game will end.

ITS great and it should be an optional feature in CMBB

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Has anyone read anything about this any where?

Has Steve commented on this option somewhere and I have missed it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I personally like the idea very much and hope there is an option for it in CM2.

IIRC, Madmatt made a comment to the effect that they (BTS) liked the program, so I'd say there is hope.

I am for it. It makes the battle more realist. How many battle in real life just end like in CM. That would be like Hitler say "Oh its been 30 turns time to end that battle..."

:D

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

I think the random ending is fine if it's optional. However, I still don't understand the need for it in any but tournament play (where standardization is needed). If you have an opponent you trust not to do something silly (like run around hiding for 20 turns in his last kubelwagen), and assuming you're not playing with 50,000 points (heh) why not just set the turn number at 60 or some other large number? Maybe my opponents are especially wonderful (well, they are....) but I can't remember a game that saw both of us still functional by turn 30 or so. That means there have been no "last minute rushes" that won the game for the more decimated player that I can remember.

Am I right that there are people out there who deliberately plan to capture a victory location in the last two turns and save significant numbers of units to do just that? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I would only need to see that kind of gaminess once to move on to a new opponent. That's "no fun" in my book.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxm2:

Am I right that there are people out there who deliberately plan to capture a victory location in the last two turns and save significant numbers of units to do just that? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I would only need to see that kind of gaminess once to move on to a new opponent. That's "no fun" in my book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have to say, almost all games end with some sort of a rush. With at least the intention of disputing a flag, since it can be the deciding factor. Especially for ladder play. If you are playing for fun, a historical battle, then a rush doesnt really matter.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrl:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have????????????????????????????????

I guess you haven't used that Endgame Randomizer (BER), sorry didn't know the acronym for it earlier today. Look at the post that says final verison of Badco's Endgame Randomizer. There isn't a Macintosh version of the BER. Combat Mission is the same for PC and Mac folks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

We have????????????????????????????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

Newest article in PC gamer (september issue) states that this feature (variable turn ending) has been implemented.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds GREAT!

And

and can you believe this

EXTREME fog of war

WOW, I wish they could bring all these GREAT new features to CMBO!

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Well, this is mighty great, but I thought Steve had said no to the extreme fog-of-war thing. I am very impressed about variable turn ending.

Can we get some confirmation? Steve, Charles? Give us the scoop!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the "SMG Gap" thread (which is a good one to read because Steve seems to be posting to it semi-regullarly):

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

HOWEVER, we already added an extra FoW level which means none of your units will ever fully identify an enemy unit. Unit type, Experience, and other ratings will remain unknown when this feature is on.

Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Philistine

Panzer Leader its in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

Newest article in PC gamer (september issue) states that this feature (variable turn ending) has been implemented.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]