This Website Needs Help

The game seems great. The community seems friendly/Helpful. But this website! Yikes! Looks like something my little brother made in his sleep (on a *bad* day)

Suprising that any game would have this poor of a website, much less the fact that this is BattleFront's OVERALL site, not just for CM. Really could use some serious work in just about every aspect. (except maybe the message board, which was desgined by a third party anyhow)

This isnt a true "bitch" message, as i dont think its detracts to much from the overall game experience. But given the importance of a strong web presence nowadays i would think they would have at least ONE employee working on the site as his nearly full time job. (if they do, and this is what hes come up with, i hope he is a temp or is on the "soon to be let go" list) LOL

Soon to Be Flamed by purists,

Detroit Guy

Just what is Matt's job description anyway? I thought one of the first things he was going to do was redesign the Battlefront site. Is he actually doing design work on CM2 or is he a full time beta tester? I know he babysits this forum much of the time, and he does (basically) weekly updates at CMHQ, but what else does the lazy bum do? I realize he is not available to answer this because he is busy rubbing his Wesson Oil coated bald head all over the cabana boy, but maybe someone else knows.

Detroit Guy,

Mad Matt was a poster/beta tester regular guy who was hired a few months back by BigTime Software. From what I understand one of his functions is to work on this website. The site has looked like this since before there was an Internet and it is just fine for my purposes. For all we know Matt may have been working on a new site design and be ready to unveil it upon his return.

And Hoopenfaust 101 with your B.A. are you saying you could care less and are about to try? Or did you mean to say that you couldn't care less? (sorry just one of my pet peeves like when people say "mute" point and stuff like that)

What I don't understand is why Matt is running CMHQ with SuperTed with daily updates while Battlefront.com has hardly changed in a year. I guess its not a conflict of intrest but it seems odd.

Maybe BTS sees a good reason for not concentrating their firepower. Why not have the CMHQ chat linked directly from Battlefront? Like on the front page. Wouldn't it get more traffic that way instead of having a newbie stumble over it later on.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

Detroit Guy,

And Hoopenfaust 101 with your B.A. are you saying you could care less and are about to try? Or did you mean to say that you couldn't care less? (sorry just one of my pet peeves like when people say "mute" point and stuff like that)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I have two BAs and I HATE people who say they "could care less". It is a non statement. You could also eat deodorant. You could wear two socks to work. Big deal.

LOL,

100% responses of "looks fine to me". My concerns are completely unfounded. smile.gif What an idiot i am for thinking that this site is sub par (to be polite). Again, its not the end of the world. I think im going to just not bother voicing any concerns other than in game stategy issues/ interface questions. Basicly a waste of my breath.

no harm done, smile.gif

Detroit Guy

P.S. My little brother (age 26) is available for work fairly cheap if you guys wana fire the janitor and hire a professional web guy to run the site. LOL.

Detroit Guy,

I felt the same way as you when I first saw the site. I was concerned about what kind of a game I was about to buy from a site that looked thrown up there in haste. With time though, I learned not to care and now I really don't notice the graphics anymore. My only concern is with the postings on the board and the next game in the works.

By the way, if BTS is gonna hire anyone else to re-design the site, it's gonna be me. smile.gif

Colonel-Deadmarsh, I couldn't agree with you more. That's the way I looked at it when first coming aboard but like you I don't even notice it now. I was actually surprised that Detroit Man did, but he's new so would just like we did. Also, if I recall the board was changed not too long ago and it seemed like everybody was wanting it back the way it was - looking like this so it was changed back. So I take it most like it. I actually preferred the new colors but hey that's me and I really don't care that much as long as it functions the way it currently does. :D

I have to say that some game websites have the 'big hat, no cattle' syndrome. Their websites may be flashy and such but the game is not worth beans. Here it's the opposite in my opinion. The game is what matters as well as this messageboard which is one of the best that I have visited.

I actually approached BTS about 10 months ago offering to help out with BATTLEFRONT.COM should an extra pair of hands be required. I can't remember exactly what Steve's reply was, but basically i think he said that plans had already been drawn up to upgrade the site.

My comment is only 50% "flash" based. Yes the visuals of the site are a total joke, something as pathetic as a FrontPage web wizard would come up with a slicker site. (back to my janitor comment) BUT.. the Resources are non-existant as well. (have a look for yourself) Strategy guides? Well known site links? Dev Team update area? Tourney Board? Squad Encouragement? Unit Statistics Breakdowns? Force Selection concepts? Point Value Rationals? (yes the FAQ in the Support area is better than nothing) Im sure its got a lot to do with Priorities, the website being low on the list. Which its not for me to say how they juggle their workload, except to say that "Customer Service" and "Image" are high up on most Dev teams lists. And at the top of Image and CS would be the phrase "work on the site". smile.gif

Detroit Guy

P.S. er.. damnit, i got sucked into this conversation again.. LOL.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Colonel-Deadmarsh, I couldn't agree with you more. That's the way I looked at it when first coming aboard but like you I don't even notice it now. I was actually surprised that Detroit Man did, but he's new so would just like we did. Also, if I recall the board was changed not too long ago and it seemed like everybody was wanting it back the way it was - looking like this so it was changed back. So I take it most like it. I actually preferred the new colors but hey that's me and I really don't care that much as long as it functions the way it currently does. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what's funny-even though I don't notice the graphics anymore, when we changed the board, at first Matt had the white backgrounds for the posts. I freaked out because they took away these lovely shades of blue. smile.gif

Actually everything you mentioned not being on Battlefront's Website is available...

On the dozens of other CM sites frequently linked to this board

Rather than take care of everything in one place Battlefront chose the dispersal method, where the board members sites handle the resources and Battlefront concentrates on developing.

Whether this was by design or just happened is not relevant

the fact is all those the resources exist

PS If Madmatt were here this would have been moved to the General forum hours ago

thats why i told myself i wasnt gonna get into this one any further. I knew if i listed specfic content examples someone would tell me that the stuff "is here you just gotta dig and/or link out to other sites" which is true, but doesnt address the core point. Which is... nothing, the site is perfect, i rest my case. You guys win. I dunno what i was thinking. smile.gif

D Guy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detroit Guy:

My comment is only 50% "flash" based. Yes the visuals of the site are a total joke, something as pathetic as a FrontPage web wizard would come up with a slicker site. (back to my janitor comment) BUT.. the Resources are non-existant as well. (have a look for yourself) Strategy guides? Well known site links? Dev Team update area? Tourney Board? Squad Encouragement? Unit Statistics Breakdowns? Force Selection concepts? Point Value Rationals? (yes the FAQ in the Support area is better than nothing) Im sure its got a lot to do with Priorities, the website being low on the list. Which its not for me to say how they juggle their workload, except to say that "Customer Service" and "Image" are high up on most Dev teams lists. And at the top of Image and CS would be the phrase "work on the site". smile.gif

Detroit Guy

P.S. er.. damnit, i got sucked into this conversation again.. LOL.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Detroit guy,

Glad your enjoying the game. Since your new I'll offer a few tid bits that most people that have been here for a while take for granite.

BattleFront is the publisher. They offer several other titles that are not Combat Mission. So going for a total CM site is not an option. You also have to realize that CM is the coding of one guy. So a page devoted to a development team doesn't make sense either. Charles and Steve are also really good about asking questions, listening to responses and advising of us progress right here in this forum.

This Forum is not just for idle banter. This forum acts and functions as all the above pages you have ask for.

Granted this site could use an overall change. Just to make it a little more polished. But you also have to realize that this isn't a big gaming house.

This game started with two People, Steve and Charles. Steve runs battlefront and Charles as the sole programer for Combat mission. After the game was out and was on its way they picked up two more people. Madmatt and Kwazydog. Kwazydog for doing models and textures, Matt for running this site and also for his great work at http://www.combatmission.com which has always been the offical unoffical site for Combat Mission. But since this still brings the total employment count to 4. I am sure there is some cross over between them all (other than Charles).

I don't know if you knew this or not. But when you go making suggestions (I call asking for the firing of someone or calling them a janitor just piss poor bad taste).

Remember that everything you see here is provided by 4 guys. Maybe that will help you put things in prospective.

Lorak

LMAO Mouse

Know whats sad?

I threw together that page as a joke one night here at work. Just to post to the cesspool. I had planed on deleating it the next day after the pool had a laugh. Sadly they actualy liked it and ask me to keep it.

So yes, it looks like crap. But does the pool really need better? Everyone in the pool knows that the win/loss record means nothing. But we sort of wanted to keep track.

Lorak

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Lorak ]

Hard for me to call anyone in perticular "the janitor" as i dont know anyone by name nor do i know who does what (or at least i didnt). Calling somone out, and telling them "they suck" right to their face in an attempt to make them feel bad , yes is in bad taste.

Making smart ass comments in the context of a message that is obviously of well-meant intent is just that, a smart ass comment. Not a slight to the justification of existance or anyones self worth.

D Guy

P.S. For such a small Dev team im more impressed than even with the game! Didnt know there where so few ppl working on the game. (although my comments about the site still stand, this is day one web newbie quality)