Just came across at (voodooextreme) an interview with Charles M at SimHQ dealing CM2

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Heya Guys,

Tiger, as Matt suggest and as you guessed, no individual roadwheels as this point. I know it would be great to see, but it is one that will have to wait until processors catch up.

To put it into perspecive lets say that an individual road wheel with just one face and eight sides would take up 22 polygons. Now, add 8 of to each side of a tank and youve added around 352 polygons to your vehicle, near doubling its poly count. They are of course ways around this that we will investigate for the CM rewrite, but no matter how you play with the figures you are still upping the polygons on screen, and you will still need a stronger processor to run it all.

Anyways, Im sure there are going to be enough vehicles to fill your time up modding without having to do individual road wheels ;)

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Panzer Commander had it redface.gif

Of course, the models are much simpler than those encountered in CM.

It's not important at any rate, although it would make for some interesting situations (roadwheels counted as a seperate armour figure).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bless BTS's kind heart(s) for thinking of us the low-end users! I really mean it, its great that I can run CM without a hitch and very smoothly on my RevD iMac.

Rolling road wheels, higher detail models, 512x512 textures, b-splined surfaces, anti-aliasing, dynamic lighting and fog etc would be wonderful eye candy, but it would instantly reduce the number of current and near future players who could enjoy CM and help the company grow.

Thanks again for thinking of the little guy!

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Looks great! And the Finns are there. And, most important for me, a technically handicapped man, the minimum video requirement is 8MB. Somebody get me a tissue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People are still playing CM on 8 MB video cards? Cmon guys. I don't want to sound elitist, but, if money is tight, brown-bag lunch for a month. That should save you enough money to buy a decent 32 MB video card.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Williams:

People are still playing CM on 8 MB video cards? Cmon guys. I don't want to sound elitist, but, if money is tight, brown-bag lunch for a month. That should save you enough money to buy a decent 32 MB video card.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehumm, do not patronize us low-end players. I still have a 233mhz, voodoo1, with, I think, 4mb, and the game works on it tongue.gif

But a brand new machine is on its way though :D

People are still playing CM on 8 MB video cards? Cmon guys. I don't want to sound elitist, but, if money is tight, brown-bag lunch for a month. That should save you enough money to buy a decent 32 MB video card.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure he meant it as patronizing. But, I have to agree, those requirements seem overly modest for a game whose anticipated release date is "aiming for late 2001". :(

32MB cards have been the standard (at least for PC's) for some time, and by this Fall 64MB cards will be even more common than they already are. Obviously, BTS will try to please the largest number of people in its potential audience, but many of us have mid-range or high-end systems and would love to see those taken advantage of by the CM series.

Please calculate how many brown-bag lunches you need to buy a decent 32 MB video for a laptop. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

32MB cards have been the standard (at least for PC's) for some time...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As upgrade cards go, that's right. But the ones coming with new non-high-end 'puters are still usually 8 megs.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As upgrade cards go, that's right. But the ones coming with new non-high-end 'puters are still usually 8 megs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just glancing at a recent fold-out Dell ad in the back of a comp mag, nearly every single system has a 32MB vid card. Looking through Gateway's site, it looks like most of them come with 16MB or 32MB cards. Anyone who games a lot should get at least a 32MB card.

This is why the best solution (from a users standpoint) is to make it scalable.

Got a low end system? Turn some of the extra polygons off. Got a high end system?? Crank them to the max!

Of course, this means more coding work, but it is coding work that is going to have to be done eventually anyway.

Jeff Heidman

KwazyDog (or anyone else who uses it), would you recommend 3dstudiomax as the best tool to get going on 3d-modelling? I've been thinking about getting it for the last three years but as you know it's quite expensive.

-Tiger

My eyes are filling with tears already ... :rolleyes:

CM2 is gonna be some nice stuff indeed. Especially like the part with many nationalities, yummy.

Oof, hope this doesn't sound too weird, but maybe CM2 could have some movies from WWII, like in CC. That could really get ya in the mood of the Eastern Front. Maybe a campaign or two wouldn't be too bad either. These are only suggestions. And keep it as easily moddable as CMBO is!

I dunno how city fighting is gonna be done, but if you judge it by CMBO, CM2 will be state of the art.

I agree with BTS completely; CM2 needs to be for low-end machines too (dont mean mine - it ain't low-end).

Oh, mortars should be able to fire without LOS, really! :mad:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nabla:

Please calculate how many brown-bag lunches you need to buy a decent 32 MB video for a laptop. ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, here at my work eating in the Cafe, which is subsidized by the company costs about 5.00 dollars a day. Now assuming that your brown bag lunch, (Sandwhich, chips, banana, Coke) costs at most $2.00. Thus, after 30 working days, six weeks, one could feasibly save 90 US dollars. (Note: This is the worst case scenario, in most cases it costs people more than 5 US dollars a day to each lunch.)

Thus, in six weeks 90 dollars can easily buy you a 32Meg GeForce2 MX card.

Jeff

[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

KwazyDog (or anyone else who uses it), would you recommend 3dstudiomax as the best tool to get going on 3d-modelling? I've been thinking about getting it for the last three years but as you know it's quite expensive.

-Tiger<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max is the most powerful program that I'm aware of, but for someone who isn't extremely knowledgeable, handling the array of tools at your fingertips is like trying to take a sip from a firehose (can you say "information overload?") You sound like you know what you're doing, but I would recommend reading a lot before you shell out that kind of cash.

3D Studio Max isn't quite the most powerful program out there (Maya would take those honors, outside of propriatary software that Pixar or Lucasfilms might have) but it has an extremely extensive feature list, and excellent support on the PC community.

Carrara used to be a good option to get your feet wet in 3D, but with Metacreations leaving the graphics software business its pretty much orphanware right now.

Gyrene

Good to see things moving along again toward another release of CM. I havn't been very active here on the board for the past 6+ months or so, been too bloody damn busy w/ school which sucks. Have enjoyed CM1 immensely though. Nice name for the next edition too. :D Barbarrosa to Berlin, has a nice ring to it for some reason. ;);) Now when can I preorder??? :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SS_Obergruppenführer:

[ Oof, hope this doesn't sound too weird, but maybe CM2 could have some movies from WWII, like in CC. That could really get ya in the mood of the Eastern Front<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with this. The best thing about Panzer Commander was the intro, where the music, superimposed with the photos, was synchronized with the sound effects building in intensity until the ending - very dramatic. I would sit through the intro every time I sat down to play.

The intro to CMBO ain't bad; it does have some drama - but seeing photos of the real thing impressed me far more.

Nope, I wasn't being patronizing, merely stating a fact, as jshandorf proved. As for a laptop, well, that's another matter.

I suppose it does make sense, from a business standpoint, to code games (especially wargames) with low end systems in mind, but it would be nice to be able to have some additional features (more polygons or something) for those of us with 21st century 'puters. ;)

Bah, this has all been discussed before, and I'm sure Steve and Charles know what is best.

As for the movies, if they have the time, I say put them in. It does seem to set the mood for the game.