Excuses for the wife/girfriend

Well, my wife read this thread and got quite a laugh out of it. She even said "what would life be without game time?"

xerxes: she got a particular laugh out of your suggestions. Of course now that she read it I won't be able to use it as an excuse.

You could always take a tip from the Seinfeld episode when Jerry fed his girlfriend a bunch

of turkey and wine. When she fell asleep, He would play with her antique toy collection. :D I used to think of women as time bandits.

When you're single, you almost have too much time (at least that was the way it seemed).

But when you're tied dow.. er.. in love, your amount of free time dwindles to a few measly hours a week. Spending time watching "chick flicks" becomes almost a full time job. (Shudder) But I guess I'm lucky, as my girlfriend plays CM with me occasionally, and we alternate computer time (since she's a Diablo 2 freak).

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: tiborhead ]

A couple of the posted suggestions I can vouch for...........don't have a wife or girlfriend and...........buy her a computer. The first one is obvious but the second is quite effective. Then there's the more acertive approach, just point to the general direction of the entrance of your abode and say, "There's the door!" There's a standing rule in my house, "Until you make more money than me, no whining!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Panzer:

Then there's the more acertive approach, just point to the general direction of the entrance of your abode and say, "There's the door!" There's a standing rule in my house, "Until you make more money than me, no whining!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! You don't mess around do you?

Im writing all these down !

Anyone got a 'tweenies' or 'teletubbies' mod - Im trying to get my 11 month old son interested - at present he just licks the screen and dribbles on the mouse - he does like the noises on the new sound mods...

I've found that the way to avoid shopping or watching chick flicks is to make the experience of making me do either so unpleasant it's not worth it. Highly effective. The moment I walk into a shop I become quite grumpy and brood menacingly in the background. During chick flicks I make constant comments on how unrealistic and crappy the movie is.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Capt:

Next "PUT THE GAME DOWN". Yup is may sound crazy but an evening of sitting on the couch watching TV with the ol ball and ch..er lovely bride, may just bank some CM time later.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet!

;)

This Genius posted:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I've found that the way to avoid shopping or watching chick flicks is to make the experience of making me do either so unpleasant it's not worth it. Highly effective. The moment I walk into a shop I become quite grumpy and brood menacingly in the background. During chick flicks I make constant comments on how unrealistic and crappy the movie is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand with you, brother, on the podium of truth! It works, oh yes.

My girlfriend (of 5 years) now goes shopping without me. Our last trips to the cinema have included Blade, The Matrix, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon amongst others. She even managed to stay away through Kelly's Heroes - although she asked "why is your online name the same as the stupid one with the beard?"

I had to explain "It's a mother beautiful beard!" but she shook her head and told me I was wierd. Smart girl.

I have also subscribed to the 'girlfriend gets computer'. She has herself a natty little PC with cordless keyboard, cordless mouse and TFT monitor, which I put together, with the Sims and an armful of Mp3's (all legal in case the CID is reading this) and I haven't heard her usual bleatings for days. Oh, the bliss and the power of gadgets on girls.

Sadly, the 'be quiet until you earn more than me' doesn't work on her, since she earns nearly twice what I do. What I can't figure out is why I'm still paying for dinner when we go out.

I thought I was one of the lucky ones whose wife goes to bed early and leaves me blissfully alone with my one simple obsession but as we all know never let down your guard when playing the game. Unknown to me I had crafty and stealthy opponent that set up what she thought was the perfet ambush. As I was putting my 5 year old son to bed one night he says to me, "Daddy are you going to play that bad man game again tonight". I shocked and bogged down for several turns, she cuaght me unaware and used the perfect weapon, the guiltenfaust. Just when I thought I was immobilised ready to resign I saw the perfect avenue of attack. I sat my 5 year old son on my lap and said "son would you like to play a quick battle or a scenario on Daddy's game?" The game was over after playing 5 turn's as my son watched me toast a Tiger with a flank shot from a Sherman 75, how lucky can a guy get. After watching that playback ten times from every angle possible I could tell my son was hooked, the look on his face was priceless, another generation introduced to the perfect obsession. So the lesson learned is use any weapon at your disposal, be creative in planning your attack and show no mercy to your opponent. Some may call these gamey tactics but this is war, get used to it! :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelU:

I've found that the way to avoid shopping or watching chick flicks is to make the experience of making me do either so unpleasant it's not worth it. Highly effective. The moment I walk into a shop I become quite grumpy and brood menacingly in the background. During chick flicks I make constant comments on how unrealistic and crappy the movie is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen brother. I used the sarcastic quips technique during chick flicks and I no longer have to watch them with her. smile.gif

She rents them and watches them while I'm at work. As for shopping, I guess I'm lucky. We both shop for the same things, games. :D I don't have to spend time watching her try on 153 pairs of pants or whatever. It's great!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

My Russian-born wife is happy when I'm playing CM as long as I tell her I'm "killing lots of Germans."

Heaven forbid I ever get caught PLAYING their side... :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like she'll like CM2 even better--but then you'd REALLY never let her catch you playing the Germans!

• 4 weeks later...

All great ideas.. but you missed the easiest one.

"Honey, I really think you should go to night school.... full time...that way you can get it over quicker."

Sweet, Huh? Though that leaves me taking care of my two little ones. The good news is with a turn based game my 13 month old can not cause to much damage banging on the key boards. My five year old loves learning about history.

My wife overhears us talking... and you see that tank... that was one of the German's favorites. He usually responds with "Daddy, why did your tank explode and have smoke all over..." Our bonding time usually ends there and I send him up to his Mom for some homework.

But seriously for all you army buffs. In the Amry we learned how to live on five hours sleep. Go to bed at 2:00, wake up at 7:00. If the kids wake up in the middle you are God b/c you can remind her in the morning that she should have seen how cute he looked at 1:30 in the morning.

Silent grumblings and evil eyes are all I get. Besides my son wanting his turn.

...how much do those playstation 2s cost? Off the computer boy!! But it's Legoland... Does Legoland have tanks...no but I have dynamite to blow up buildings....really?...mmm...let me check that out....hey if you changd this car around and added a long lego here it looks like a tank see.... what dad?...see tank...see tank go BOOM!....Oh like your tanks....grrrrrr !!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by General Panic:

Some pointers to earn some trouble free CM time from the missus:

1) When Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan make a new movie, go with her cheerfully.

2) Be nice to her relatives. Failing that, avoid killing them.

3) Learn to say, "Yes, dear," without clenching your teeth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This begs the question, "How long have you been married?". Women, give 'em an inch and they'll take 10. Women don't compromise........they have one mission in life....to rule yours. These tactics might work for you now brother but believe me, she's plotting behind those peepers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My wife is pregnant with our first. The upside to this in terms of CM game time is that she is now quite tired all the time. After dinner she seems to fall asleep on the couch round about 8pm. That means I get 2-3 hours of game time if I want it. Now, as The_Capt points out above, this may backfire on me in the future once said kid actually pops out. But, for now, I have plenty of game time.

So, you can increase your gaming time and contribute to the world's overpopulation problem all in "one shot." Your mileage with this strategy may vary.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One word. SLEEP. Catch up on it now because once the kid comes you will never see enough of it again.

:(