Individual who quit after losing Sherman Jumbo... I challenge you!!

Kestrl

Here is the scenario, I post in the opponet forum and setup my end for a Meeting Engagement 25 turns, 800 points, Farmland, heavy woods, small hills, April 1945 and let my opponent purchase his own units

The person who joined tonight purchased a Sherman Jumbo and was reckless and after losing his expensive armor to my Panzer 4, up and quit the battle before the action turn ended, this individual didn't show any maturity and is a pathetic loser.

When my infantry, armor, and ammo was expended in a battle, I had the common courtesy to surrender.

The way i see it this individual has admitted defeat by quitting, so at least surrender and admit defeat like a man and not a pathetic loser.

I agree with you Kestral. You probably don't remember but about 7-8 months ago I played you. I was a newbie, had game about 2 weeks. You trash me throughout the game, but(because of a couple of rambo .50 cal. and one squad) I only suffered only a minor loss. But my point is, I learn more by talking to you, tactics, counters, blah, after getting my ass handed to me than I did with 20 ai battles. The best part of playing someone is talking tactics after the game. See what worked and what didn't. The fact that he quit sucks. How many battles have I played where I had the upper hand late and then get the cards turn on something stupid I did. That why you play it out to the bitter end, especially when playing me ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

You killed his Jumbo with a Pz IV? How very gamey of you!

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I setup a nice ambush on the buttoned M4A3E2 (76) Jumbo with my small Pz IVG and it fired three times and the first shot missed, the second shot bounced off, and the third shot got it right in the side.. knocking it out and thats when my opponent admitted defeat and quit without a word during turn nine.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cooper:

I agree with you Kestral. You probably don't remember but about 7-8 months ago I played you. I was a newbie, had game about 2 weeks. You trash me throughout the game, but(because of a couple of rambo .50 cal. and one squad) I only suffered only a minor loss. But my point is, I learn more by talking to you, tactics, counters, blah, after getting my ass handed to me than I did with 20 ai battles. The best part of playing someone is talking tactics after the game. See what worked and what didn't. The fact that he quit sucks. How many battles have I played where I had the upper hand late and then get the cards turn on something stupid I did. That why you play it out to the bitter end, especially when playing me ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Cooper,

Thanks for the support i really appreciate it. I'm happy there is a lot of people in the CM community who show some etiquette when playing TCP/IP battles.

Hey after you get thrashed, you don't want it to happen again. So if you talk after the battle you can at least learn from your mistakes. So next time it happens it will not be from the same mistakes. Then, after a while, you will be the one handing out the trashing. This isn't a game like day of defeat or operation flashpoint where it is instant gratification. This game is complex and there is a learning curve. If this individual isn't prepared to deal with it, then sod off. The only thing that sucks is that (at least for me) he ate up that rare tcp/ip time.

A person who is on the short end of a CM should have the politeness & courtesy to finish the game if at all possible. The winner does deserve to have his gratification.

Whoever the person was who quit in you game should be thrashed within an inch, well within two inches, of his life. :D

Cheers, Richard

Since I started playing CM I often was astonished how honourable my opponents behaved. About 90% of the guys I play via TCP/IP usually finish their games. Most are very polite and even ask if it's OK if they surrender or if I want to play it out until the end.

And if I'm having a bad day and I'm loosing badly ;) they usually try to cheer me up like :"...great game! You played well, I was lucky that my...", stuff like that.

Quite often when the battle ended we're still chatting about some mistakes/good tactics and just enjoy the game.

But of course, every now and then I stumble into a wretched person who quits the game after his precious armour ran into an AT ambush.

Or the creatures that stop sending PBEM turns after their Sturmkompanie was hit by heavy arty...

When such things happen, I usually curse the name of that opponent and start sticking pins into my voodoo doll, but after a short time I always think about the many players who gave me so many interesting hours of CM play.

So, cheer up Kestrl, sometimes sh*t happens...

im still fairly new to cm, ive been playin a mate of mine a couple of times a week and the best ive managed against him is a draw. ive never quit, and i steadfastly refuse to surender (surrender is for the weak :P )... but to quit over loosing a tank, thats just pathetic... at the end of the day, its just a game... i guess some kids just cant handle loosing.

I can understand you being frustrated in wanting to finish the game you invested time in.

But there's a chance your opponent simply lost his composure and went Zoolander on his computer.

It happens.

With CM, it happens ALOT.

But personally, I think someone who is an unimpassioned, disinterested 'good loser' is far more deserving of criticism than someone who gets PO'd about getting his butt kicked and doesn't want to stick around to get a lecture on how he blew it.

However, it's possible the guy was just a jerk and didn't care about the game at all. If so, then you only harm yourself by getting angry. After all, that anger is the effect most jerks want to create. I doubt they lose sleep over anything said about them after the fact. It only shows that while you won the game, he won the war. He's sleeping in peace, you're still attacking.

Thats nothing, I once had a guy bail on me after a game that lasted 3 turns and 2 shots!

Turn 1 I send a half squad sneaking thru some scattered trees, with a hunting Greyhound following 30 seconds behind. Turn two he unhides a Hummel which promptly blasts my recon team to hell. Turn three my Greyhound returns the favor and pops the Hummel. The guy immediately cuts the TCP/IP connection and is never heard from again.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Thats nothing, I once had a guy bail on me after a game that lasted 3 turns and 2 shots!

Turn 1 I send a half squad sneaking thru some scattered trees, with a hunting Greyhound following 30 seconds behind. Turn two he unhides a Hummel which promptly blasts my recon team to hell. Turn three my Greyhound returns the favor and pops the Hummel. The guy immediately cuts the TCP/IP connection and is never heard from again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've beat your record- I was PBEMing someone who quit after the first turn. First, he sent me a 10,000 point ME, after I requested an attack/defense. I explained that my computer didn't have a chance of handling such a big map, so he sent a 5,000 point ME instead. We set up, played the first turn, in which I recieved a few shells from a KT, and I never heard from him again.

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

I've never had anyone completely bail out on me in a TCP/IP game but while reading these posts it occured to me that maybe he lost his Internet connection. This used to happen a lot with me when playing dial-up. I always had an AIM or some such instant messae device so we could go right back in. If you met through the opponant finder and did not have any instant message action going he might not have been able to get back in. Did you use the "autosave" and tryto reset it up in case he was trying to get back in?

Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

I've never had anyone completely bail out on me in a TCP/IP game but while reading these posts it occured to me that maybe he lost his Internet connection. This used to happen a lot with me when playing dial-up. I always had an AIM or some such instant messae device so we could go right back in. If you met through the opponant finder and did not have any instant message action going he might not have been able to get back in. Did you use the "autosave" and tryto reset it up in case he was trying to get back in?

Just a thought.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did reset the battle and waited for my opponent for rejoin and he never did. There is a diffrence between losing a connection and quiting. I believe CM will flash lost connection on the screen when you lose your connection to the host.

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Kestrl ]

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Kestrl ]

Good time to thank all my TCP and PBEM opponents for being such great opponents. You know who you are and I will beat every last one of you.

And for the wankers out there remember that when you lose all of your armor and out of artillery with a superior force bearing down on you it is a chance to do something special and a chance to utter the immortal words

"NUTS"

Good times

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Priest ]

Hey Kestrl,

This topic is a great time to say thanks to anyone that I've ever played for sticking it out to the end or for having the courtesy to surrender rather than simply bail out on a game.

For all of the "anonymity" that the internet supposedly provides, it's amazing how revealing it can be of some people's true character, or lack of it.

The is a good topic to remind people that good manners and character are important, and that they are traits that, thankfully, most people have.

Cheers,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galatine:

But personally, I think someone who is an unimpassioned, disinterested 'good loser' is far more deserving of criticism than someone who gets PO'd about getting his butt kicked and doesn't want to stick around to get a lecture on how he blew it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but this is an idiotic statement. Any useless wank who gets his arse kicked and then flounces off to sulk is so much ****e in anyone's book.

I'm not comfortable with someone who feels an honourable opponent who behaves well is to be sneered at, while an arrogant arsehole who rushes off to pout is to be commended for his 'passion'.

Quit many games, Galatine? I can't imagine you'll get many from real players.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Elvis for beating me like an ugly stepchild in so many TCPIP games. After dismantling my forces and running amuck in my backfield, he is usually kind enough to explain what I did wrong and would repeatedly ask me "what I was thinking".

My record speaks for itself. Actually, it moans and whimpers. I've always tried my best to stick around while my opponent gloats and verbally berates me for mismanaging what I had. Its just the right thing to do.

It was Jeff Shandorf who would tell me to not do what I'm about to do and then laugh at me when I do it. (you had to be there as I tried to cram 4 squads into a small house)

oh, the memories

This game has far better opponents than CC2

There were some real pratts playing that game.

So far I have only had two bails from PBEM and from one (a young kid) I was told his PC had died after I had sent him a few e-mails asking if he was OK.

The other chap has not responded and I am more worried that he is not OK than playing the game. I would just like a response from him saying that he is fine and has no time. That would be nice.

However I will never know...

It is annoying but it is only a game and if you play a tourney you are ensured returns!!! Well if I send the right file. :(

H

P.s. In the post to you Von Lucke

Gos that sucks. No matter how bad I am getting worked. And 2 weekends ago I was smacked around 3 times in 1 day :( I never quit. If there is no way I can win Ill ask if I can surrender.

I played the #1 ranked guy on my ladder and he placed some of the finest arty I have ever seen. German 120mm Mortars right on a major thrust of mine and then followed my retreat like a T. It knocked out 3 HTs, a cromwell and then a TD off in the distance killed my Firefly. Then I watched as 3 whole platoons went up in smoke from the arty and then he counterattacked. My guys were fleeing like you would see in movie. My lone cromwell got its gun knocked out and I think even ran over a few of my guys in the melee smile.gif My other firefly ended up getting killed by a well placed AT gun on the retreat and I was left with 4 platoons of british glider infantry and a single 4.2in mortar and my compliment of on map mortars. The rest of my force was in full retreat. Most of them broken or routed and only a handful of men from 3 platoons left anyways.

He left me take the surrender and I saw what he had in store for me. Alot of german volks with a couple of JagdPanzers and Stuhs.

Just quitting is lame.

Gen