COMBAT MISSIONS: reccomended Reading List

Sorry jd! smile.gif

Hopefully ppl will find it a useful resource and helpful when searching for WW2 (hence CM) related books.

I have included a link so that people can add books that they have read and can recommend to others.

Obviously, i am making commission on each sale (typically 5%) which will help me pay for the cost of running the site, i.e - hosting costs; principally bandwidth and diskspace usage.

Manx,

You steal my thunder!!! You can't do this cause I am going to post my mini-WW2 library at me site! ;)

BTW, is there a way to join that book store affliate program?

I have a number of good books to add for ya:

"Tanks for the Memories" ed by Aaron C. Elson

"The Military History of the Western World" 3 vol. work by J.F.C. Fuller (that is what I am currently reading)

"Germany's Infantry Weapons 1939-45" by Terry Gander.

Just a few random picks from my Library. All except the second are from that book store.

Hope it helps.

Griffin.

There is a "Join our affiliates program" link on the main AMAZON page - left side menu.

I have had a Amazon page up on the site for the past 3-4 months, but up until jd's purchase, no one had ever bought anything. Hardly surprising really since the page only contained one DVD and 2 books. What a choice!

I'm not looking to make a fortune from what is to me, a highly enjoyable hobby - WW2, CMBO and making lots of new friends, but the ammount of money it costs me to run COMBAT MISSIONS means i have to try and find some means of trying to cover costs; Simple economics i'm afraid. If i can do this AND provide some sort of helpful service then great!

I won't be just providing links to books available through Amazon, i will also add links to books found elsewhere. I hope it will be a useful and comprehensive guide to good WW2 books and reference material that people will be able to locate and purchase with no hassles.

I could recommend one book for the upcoming CM2. I'm not sure if it has been translated in english, at least I haven't found it in english. But for those who speak german the book is called Die verratene armee by Heinrich Gerlach. It's a true story (but written like a novel) about the siege of Stalingrad written by a German soldier who lived through the whole thing and was captured by Russians in 1943. At least German Amazon.com sells it. My copy is in Finnish printed in 1965...

JV

I would enjoy owning a well done and comprehensive volume on Soviet Armor of World War II. Any recommendations? If one is available at Amazon and that can be added to Manx's list I would order it.

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

I will be adding more stuff over the next few days. I must have received over 100 book recommendations over the past day or so. I'll sift through the list and see what there is and if it is practical to list them as many seem to be out of print.

Book I just picked up yesterday:

The Panzers and the Battle of Normandy published by Heimdal (ISBN: 2 84048 135 9)

Excellent and very detailed book (maps, OOBs, personal accounts) which details armour battles on a day-by-day basis

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

well, just bought a book, closing with the enemy. i believe steve mentioned he liked it so i am giving it a shot! enjoy yr commission tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And a wise choice too Sir!, if you don't mind me saying.

Thanks smile.gif

I'm not sure if it is really a WWII book, since it was written in 1937, but Heinz Guderian's, Achtung Panzer is a fascinating look at where the tank came from and how the people who invented it, the French and English, never learned the techniques of how to exploit it, until the German's demonstrated it in 1939 and beyond. smile.gif

Being an avid WW2 reader myself, I am continually amazed at the lack of recognition for It Never Snows in September: The German View of Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944

This is the single best book I have ever read on Market Garden, and overall one of the best books on any battle of WW2.

And you cannot begin to discuss WW2 at the strategic level until you have read When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mdnight21:

I'm not sure if it is really a WWII book, since it was written in 1937, but Heinz Guderian's, Achtung Panzer is a fascinating look at where the tank came from and how the people who invented it, the French and English, never learned the techniques of how to exploit it, until the German's demonstrated it in 1939 and beyond. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the best!

Just to get someone started:

"History of PanzerKorps Grossdeutschland", Vols. I, II, III by Helmut Spaeter.

"The Liebstandarte", Vols. I, II, III, IV/1, IV/2 by Rudolf Lehman.

"Combat History of Schwere Panzer Abteilung 653" by Karlheinz Munch.

"Michael Wittman and the Tiger Commanders of the Liebstandarte" by Patrick Agte.

On my hit list (yet to read)...

"Das Reich", Vols, I, II (III through V coming), by Otto Weidinger.

"Battle for Kharkov", by Jean Restayn.

"Panzertaktik - German Small Unit Armor Tactics" by Wolfgang Schneider.

Michael Doubler's "Closing with the Enemy" is an excellent book. I am looking for some sort of a similar book that deals with German small unit tactics. Any suggestions? I've seen "Panzertaktik - German Small Unit Armor Tactics" by Wolfgang Schneider mnetioned by some. How is this book? Any others?