Super Stuart Kills Panther (and many more)

I'm playing an operation as the allied defender and one of my Stuarts did exceptionally well in the first battle. I don't have a website to post the pic but here's the list:

17 Infantry Casualties (only 14 when I snapped the pic, but 17 at start of next battle)

1 Panther A destroyed

1 StuH42 destroyed

1 Stug IIIG destroyed

1 unidentified vehicle destroyed (a halftrack I think)

1 PSW 234/1 destroyed

1 Pz IV/70(V) destroyed

Another Stuart in the same battle got a Panther as well. I let them get distracted and then popped the Stuarts out and got them in the side. I never thought the Stuarts would amount to anything, and then something like this happens. I'm starting to like that sharp "pow" sound the little 37 mm gun makes.

Yeah, but it all depends on how little tanks are used. In one scenario, I was down to 2 Lynx against a Sherman et al. When the Sherman advanced too far and was somewhat isolated, I ran one Lynx along a road in front of it. It popped away at the Sherman, doing nothing but annoying the crew inside, while my other Lynx ran at full speed to the Sherman's flank. It took two shots with the little gun, but they took out that Sherman.

It's all in the tactics... or maybe, it's not the size of the gun, but how you use it... biggrin.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

I learned the value of Stuarts in the XXXXX scenario Kunzler and I are near finishing. I had been merrily blowing them away with my assault gun and didn't think too much of them until he got one in the right position. First he ran it up the road and brewed up my MkIV, he didn't know it but the MkIV's gun had been knocked out but still. Then, either that turn or the next, he ran behind my assault gun and took it out. Then he hid behind some buildings. When I moved another MkIV into the street he had the nerve to run the Stuart BEHIND the buildings and popped that MkIV in the side. Were it not for a "friendly" airstrike that immobilized it it would still be striking terror in my heart.

And BTW, be careful when you see a "Stuart" shown at a distance ... sometimes they're actaully the M8 GMC ... with a short 75mm gun. Maybe a 37 won't pop you but that 75 sure might. As Mark Ezra proved to my dismay.

Joe

in a QB I had 6 Stuarts, and it turns out they faced 3 JagdPanthers and 1 Pzr IVG.

Lost 4 of the 6 almost immediately, but the remaining two ran circles around the others and killed them from close range. One of the stuarts accounted for all the JPs and the PIV, as well as 20-odd casuaulties. The other was, more or less, a target.

(there were a whole slew of ricochets and broke shells, but finally good flank shots resulted in kills. The JPs were relatively easy to flank, and the PIV was a frontal turret shot.)

Speed definately has it's advantages. And I wont underestimate the Stuart again.

Though, there werent many survivors from the stuart crews after the JPs blasted them. Rather high mortality rate.

It was a fun QB.

Dave

------------------

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

I read that a stuart destroyed a platoon of panthers in real life. It ran parallel up a road the panthers were all on and KO'd them from short range in the side. I believe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is impressive. Wow.

Once it's in a flanking position, I think the main strength of the Stuart is its rate of fire. The 37mm is so tiny that reloading it is very quick. And since it's usually powerful enough to penetrate the flank of a medium tank, the Stuart can just sit there and plink flanks en masse - in a hurry. The Lynx can do something similar, though its 20mm is less powerful.

At longer ranges than CM usually simulates, the Stuart is in trouble, of course. So the Stuart shines a little brighter in the (relatively) close range CM enviromnent than it might over larger fields of fire.

Charles

Yes, due to that little tiff with Joe, the Stuart is now my favorite AFV. In fact, I don't recall having any vehicle with the stats of that Stuart. Two Mark IVs, a Stug and a bunch of infantry. And it would still be going strong if it were not for those ****ed flyboys who came too late to do any good anyway frown.gif

BTW, the Mark IV kill and the Stug kill were only a matter of seconds apart - and on the run!. All while an M10 that should have been firing at the Mark IV sat paralyzed in fear.

Wait till we get our BT-7s in CM2 smile.gif

Seriously, the Stuarts do so well in this game becuase of its high ROF, pretty good gun and high speed - but- the unrealism that helps this to be a plausible tactics is the God's eye view of the terrain.

In reality, the fear of the unknown prevents much of this except for the most daring, and excewt for enemy units, the world is transparent to CM.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

This was a Squad Leader problem too, even in double blind games. The answer to that was the limited view offered in UpFront. I never liked UpFront and always preferred Squad Leader.

"Revolution on CD" was what CGW called Combat Mission in its September 2000 review on page 102.

Absolutely correct.

Hey fellas I don't doubt that :USERNAME: read what he did, whether the person who wrote it is living in reality is another question. After the the Panther platoon finished laughing they would have blown the Stuart to pieces. Or mabey they died laughing.

I'm not complaing about the game, I like the Stuarts too. I use them the same way others here have described, because in the game they can do these things. But the topic seemed to be leaving the game and turning to reality, but painting reality with the games successes and outcomes. I've talked to many Vets, some of them hero's and if that story is true about taking out a platoon of Panthers then the Congressional Medal would not be enough for quite possibly the bravest allied tank crew of the war.

Mabey he had a 20 foot hieght advantage or so and fired down at them through their top side armour. If :USERNAME: can dig that up I'd love to see if any of those fellas are still kicking, they should have free beer for life at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ajbab:

Mabey he had a 20 foot hieght advantage or so and fired down at them through their top side armour. If :USERNAME: can dig that up I'd love to see if any of those fellas are still kicking, they should have free beer for life at least. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember it was in france of course and I believe in the later battles. Ive read so much that I cant recall everything. It sticks in my mind because patton went to the scene himself.

During the bulge a panther was supposedly KOd by a 37mm head on and I recall a Tiger I getting it in the back by an m8 arm car.

To me, the psychological equivalent is like someone telling me I have a chance against Mike Tyson. Maybe its true but Id rather not finds out.

Lewis

Guest *Captain Foobar*

It was probably Mini-Mike Ditka inside that Stuart. In fact I am sure of it...

Mini-Mike Ditka 375 , German Panthers 0

Does anybody else find these six or eight-tank rushes unrealistic? I just don't see two tank platoons rushing into certain death for most of their members without some really hefty suppression effects. Maybe suppression and leader effects should be modelled for vehicles too.

Dan

These Little Strauts kill Tiger too.

Last Sunday, I am playing Villers-Bocage all day trying different means to win this tough nuts. Once my Wittman Tigh ran along the N-S road at high speed. When he cleared the woods the Tiger was blown up by a Straut in town from a distance >300m. The hit was a "Weak Spot in Side Turret". (Turret ring?) frown.gif

It was not my particular bad luck some how as in two other tries, I have to restart since the Tiger was killed by these little sob.

I have a new respect for sadine cans now.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest KwazyDog

Damn impresstive sheet Ricky. He earned his days pay!

Hehe, I had the worst luck when I gave the Jackson a go for the first time smile.gif 2 of then killed by pumas without a kill. They have a great gun, but the pumas 50mm can get through the frontal turret armour which I found out the hard way.

It really pays to play often from both sides in CM. It gives you a good feel for oppositions capabilities.