Worst war movies of all time

There are so many po' ass Hollywood fluff war movies out there that it really is hard to find a good one.

I realized just how bad some movies of this genre can be after just seeing "The Big Red 1" on cable about a month ago for the first time.

That movie is just a 2+ hour cliche. It is so damned horrible that I just can't stand it. Aaaaagh it is just so damned bad!

I'm sure you feel this way about the "The Big Red 1" or other war movie and I'm sure theres allready been a thread like this one, but I'm just curious I guess.

------------------

Ah scheist.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Big Red One was a tub of dreck!

Bad, bad movie. Horrible in every respect. Gets my vote as worst war movie that I can at least think of off the top of my head.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

I thought Big Red One was pretty good, the mental hospital, lady giving birth in tank, Luke Skywalker with an M1 were all pretty funny. The invasion of the French coast was sort of accurate.

[This message has been edited by ntg84 (edited 08-11-2000).]

Being a BIG WW2 aircraft fan, I gotta go with MIDWAY. The plane takes off as a Helldiver, flies to the Japanese carriers as a Corsair, spots said carriers as a Wildcat, Divebombs said carriers as a Dauntless, flies back to the Enterprise as an Avenger and crashes on the deck as a Hellcat.

I was suprised I didn't see a dogfight consisting of Dr1s and Camels, followeed by a strafing run on Midway island by MIG-15s.

Anal? A little...

[This message has been edited by Mr. W W (edited 08-11-2000).]

"The Big Red 1" was aslo ruined by its soundtrack. It seemed to have only one song that was played over and over and over. It was a terrible song, too. I can't get the damn thing outa my head!

Although Return of the Dirty Dozen was bad, the original was tolerable. It suffered from the weird "turned based combat in a movie" that many older war or western movies suffered from. What I mean by this is that:

1. Goodguy shot by badguy and killed.

2. Other Goodguy shoots badguy that shot goodguy.

3. Repeat for duration of battle/shootout.

If ya dont know what I'm talking about, just watch the part in the Dirty Dozen where they attack the chalae (sp?).

------------------

Ah scheist.

Rumor has it, though I haven't confirmed it myself, that in one very brief scene one of the planes crashing on the deck of a carrier is actually a Panther jet from the Korean War.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Shaw (edited 08-11-2000).]

I don't mind the Big Red One.

Midway is tolerable.

I like the Dirty Dozen.

The 2nd Dirty Dozen wasn't good, but I can watch it on a rainy day while sleeping.

But Breakthrough, with Richard Burton and Robert Mitchum. That movie has to take the cake.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

Guest SS Peiper

Guys have any of you seen "Steel Tempest"

that is the worst movie of all time. frown.gif But it had some great camo for the SS. smile.gif

SS Peiper

I know it is not strictly a war movie but now about including 'Shining Through', the Michael Douglas vehicle, where Joely Richardson as a female nazi, on discovering heroine Melanie Griffiths is an allied spy, cries "Mein Gott! You've got guts!". It's straight out of the comic books I used to read when I was nine.

I think it is called "Target Zero". It's set in the Korean War. There's an American or British Sherman, an American mortar team, an infantry squad and blonde UN worker. They defend a hill against the Chinese.

When I was a kid I thought it was great. When I finally found it a few years ago...PU!

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

I'm not sure about the name, but I think it was "The Battling Bastards of Bataan." In the film the Japanese attacked Bataan with single winged planes, presumably Zeros and Vals, but in the close-up dogfight scenes the Japs are flying bi-planes. A slight error in continuity I guess.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

Hi all

'The Inglorious Bastards'

A Anglo-Italian (I think) host of unknown actors (in loosest sense of word) in a sort of Dirty Dozen rip-off.

Said Bastards included token Black chap who when the squad took on some SS garb (actually modern Swiss or Italian fatigues) to board a train was wrapped in bandages ala The Mummy smile.gif Classic stuff.

Come to think of it was entertaining in its own awful way smile.gif

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK