Worst war movies of all time

Battle of the buldge was just bloody awful.

I have to disagree concerning the Thin Red Line I thought it was WAY better than Saving Private Ryan. SPR had a good intro (down to the polish camera man who shot it so i hear) but that was it, the rest was weak IMHO. TRL kept me engrossed from start to finish.

Still each to his own I guess.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dell Wade:

I agree Thin Red Line

What Island was it? All the major actors bit it 15 minutes into their roles. The major star was always in a daze about some island he was on. I almost fell asleep at that movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Guadalcanal and yes , I got real tired of the main character staring at butterflies and daydreaming...

To be honest, I didn't think the book was much better.....

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Thin Red Line was desent, but strayed too far from the battle and when it did, for way too long.

Its almost 3 hours long and this is only because half the movie is a nature film. The fighting scenes were good and I liked the way the tracer bullets would com atcha sometimes. The deaths were realistic and so was the overall fighting. But the movie was just way to long and boring inbetween the fighting.

By the way, it takes place in Guadacanal IIRC.

------------------

Ah scheist.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Minnesota Joe:

Thin Red Line was desent, but strayed too far from the battle and when it did, for way too long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, if you went to see TRL and expected an action-packed war movie you were probably disappointed and bored. If you manage to keep your concentration for the whole duration of the movie, it actually is a really good film.

It's more than just a war movie, IMO.

Gentlemen:

There is one war movie that surpasses even "The Green Berets" in terms of pure, gut-wrenching badness...

The Losers! (aka "Nam's Angels")

Hell's Angels bikers get send on a secret mission to Nam, to battle and defeat the vicious Viet Cong with their souped up & well-armed choppers! Yow!!

This is no joke. In fact, you can see a brief clip of it in "Pulp Fiction". Check out what Bruce Willis is watching on TV (just before he discovers his watch is missing.).

Now seriously, don't I deserve a copy of CM for winning this contest? Huh? Huh?

--Joshik

Midway was the worst WW2 movie. They used cuts from Tora Tora Tora witch is one of the best WW2 movies. The Thin Red Line Missed the boat, almost fell asleep in the theater.

Big Dog

Full Meatal Jacket Rocks "Me Soooo Horneeeeee" tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 08-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KOYLI:

I know it is not strictly a war movie but now about including 'Shining Through', the Michael Douglas vehicle, where Joely Richardson as a female nazi, on discovering heroine Melanie Griffiths is an allied spy, cries "Mein Gott! You've got guts!". It's straight out of the comic books I used to read when I was nine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, definitely the worst or bloody close to it. Y'know what's sad? Until she made that movie, Ms. Griffiths had never heard of the holocaust. rolleyes.gif What a flake.

Battle of the Bulge, Patton & Tobruk always stick in my craw though. Yuck-o-rama.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

Ya know, there was a stretch of time where we had "Mystery Science Theater 3000" to bash the crappy sci-fi films. Up to watching that series on occasion, I hadn't realized just how many bad sci-fi movies were out there.

So consider the follow-on project: "Military Madness Theater 2000" where on a similar theme, we have 2-3 theater "guinea pigs" (dressed in some form of uniform or wargamer-casual) who are forced to watch the movie, and continuously make smart-ass comments just to preserve their sanity.

Just a thought.

I actually did fall asleep in the cinema whilst watching Thin Red Line, but to be honest I was expecting a war movie, so maybe I didn`t give it the chance it deserved. On the subject of The Battle of the Bulge, I loved this film as a kid, and you gotta admit it did give us the "PanzerLied" (sp?)

That counts for something huh?

------------------

"Any man who judges a nation is a peewit"

OK how 'bout discussing why these movies suck. I especially hate it when Hollywood screws up on the technical properties like...

1. Bullets following and hitting by the feet of some poor guy thats running from the gunfire. Hmm, if the "badguys" were aiming at the ground and couldnt turn faster than the guy could run across them this may happen.

Is it so hard to imagine that if you shoot at someone and dont hit them that the bullet goes pretty much straight and hits whats behind the running guy? So put the little explosive thingies that represent bullet impacts on walls, buildings, whatever, just as long as they dont walk along the ground for Christ's sake!

2. Gasoline explosions. So I'm watching a war movie and artillery is called in, resulting in shells landing and causing...what was that? I fireball?! But it hit the ground and theres no fuel tanks or anything else around.

IS it too hard to place TNT in the ground? If placed ddep enough, it couldnt cause even lethal flying debris from flying dirt (trust me, a flying, 15 lb chunk of dirt can be lethal) necause it would blow mostly upward, plus it just looks better and causes an actual crater.

3. Gunshot wounds. Especially in older war movies, it is just so lame. Every gunshot represents in a KIA it seems. No wounded. And the blood was that awful bright red color (especially in Wayne era films). And unlike alot of other types of violent movies(especially mafiaesqe ones) , blood is shown as little more than a spot of red on one's chest, with maybe some blood from the mouth from time to time.

No Platoon and SPR did an exellent job at showing the horrors of war in terms of gore. SPR showed litteral chunks blasted off guys and that particularly gruesome not quite blown away head of a radio operator. Also, the chest shot on the medic (giuvanni Revissi) was so realistic I couldnt belive it.

------------------

Ah scheist.

Speaking of MST3K, that italian film flipper mentioned earlier about the italians invading the US was on the show. It ended up with the whole thing being a dream.

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

I kind of liked Red Dawn. It was really a political film by Milius.

Green Berets was probably John Wayne's third worst film. The end sequence shows a sunset on the beach along the coast of Viet Nam. The sun was dipping low on the horizon. Just think about that a minute. Worst was something about the Mongols, a film which he hated. His westerns, including The Searchers, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon were some of the best films ever made of any genre. Wayne was very pro-Indian, by the way, and it showed.

The second half of FMJ was lousy.

A particularly good film that didn't get much recognition was The Beast. There are some memorable lines that came out of that one, especially from Sgt. Tank Boy. Does anyone know what that night sensor system was they put around the tank? When they shot up all the deer?

A Canadian film about an earlier era can be considered a war film in a sense. It was the priests versus the Indians in very early Canada. Black Robe was a terrific film, but it got little recognition.

A Howard Hughes film, Hell's Angels, has been acclaimed for ages. I finally got to see it on TV a couple of weeks ago. You actually hear some swearing by the actors, which was surprising considering when it came out.

Crimson Tide was bad.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

--Jean Shepherd, circa 1956

Howdy,

The movie about the Godless Communists ( I really don't remember them being Italians) that invaded the USA and that was on MST3K was:

INVASION U.S.A.

Apt name, huh?

It oozed badness out of bad frame of this bad film. (paraphrasing Opus there) It certainly deserved to be "MiSTed".

Cardinal Fang

MST3K Fan

In the Green Berets, when he's walking on the beach with the sunset, you may notice it is the wrong way. Vietnamese beaches don't face that way.

I despised Big Red One. I mean, what the hell are they doing the whole movie? It's like they are on vacation. They just go off on their own for the whole movie just wandering around... And it's amazing how in the final battle in the concentration camp all the guys are just standing around in the streets, instead of using buildings as cover and all.

What also bugs me about war movies is that the heros take so many "flesh wounds" Everyone in the movie dies with one shot except the hero. He gets shot int he arm or leg and say's "ahh, it's nothin" I remember one war movie where the Germans overun a US position and start firing the .50 cal at the routing Americans. One guy gets shot in the leg and he pauses for a few seconds before he continues running. I figure a 50 cal would blow your leg off!

First of all, my picks are based on movie making in general, NOT on authenic equipment.

Battle of Britain--Why?? Yes they used authenic planes and stuff, but the cinematography was pathetic. They reused the same footage over and over again with cheesy explosion effects. Granted the age of the film, but com'on!

Battle of the Bulge--Again, bad cinematography and special effects coupled along with fake tanks.

Anzio--bad acting.

But how could anyone say that Apocaclyse Now was bad? That has got to be THE best Vietnam movie ever made. It showed a good representation of what river patrol boat life was like and the fear of getting off the boat and such.

------------------

Be sure and check out my texture mods on CMHQ.

Dave "Ol' Blood & Maximus Butticus" Molinarolo

Red Dawn is gotta be near the worst

The battle of the bulge was bad but watchable but the tank battle in the desert was bad even by hollywood standards

There was old made during the war movie called Bataan with Robert tailor that you have to see to believe.

Midway was just poor imitation of Tora Tora Tora (which was excellent)

I saw an Italian move called Battle Of El Alimien (sp) which was pretty low budget but actually was kind of interesting

I thought the Longest Day was a good try but even though it fell a little short.

One of may favorite war movies (non WWII) is Glory (ACW).

I thought U571 was really bad (though the hardware was neat)

Some of my favorites:

Sink The Bismark

The man who never was

The really sad thing is that there are so many great stories to be told and Hollywood drops the ball. I think it may be the same phenomina as with wargaming. Maybe someday there will be a BTS movie company that makes quality war movies.

------------------

March To The Sound Of The Guns

What about Pauly Shore's "In the Army Now." I'm surprised nobody has said that. It wasn't even good for a bad movie.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

invasion usa..thank's been bugging me that i could'nt remember the title..I'll sleep better tonight..any way how about this one

"the flying tiger's" with the duke..geez the cockpit's of the p-40's are bigger than a 747

an when the allied pilot's shoot down a japanese pilot he inevibetbly get's hit in the goggle's..one more scene of goggle's bubbling blood an my own eye's would have xploded!

Does The Patriot qualify? Utterly pathetic movie, I only went to see it since I mistakenly thought that Mel directed it..

Earlier someone mentioned Starship Troopers.. I thought that was a comedy, not a war movie. I haven't laughed so hard during a movie in ages!