THE BLOODY PENG CHALLENGE THREAD: ESCAPE FROM DOWNUNDER

Croda wrote:

> Thin Red Line? What a horrendous sack of rat crap that movie was. Characters sucked. Storyline was buried with Hoffa. I've seen more intriguing coloring books.

> As for Gladiator, it was a great movie, even if it was too mainstream for you.

A great movie?? Geez, I sat in the cinema watching Russell Crowe do a (in my best Aussie accent) You Murdered My Family And I'm Gonna Be Slightly Displeased About That for a few hours, and left wondering when Scott was going to make his point. And where did he get the idea that Romans spoke with posh English accents anyway?

I have one bone to pick with The Thin Red Line, in viciously misappropriating its title from the British action at Balaklava. Otherwise, it knocks the shaky cameras and rough-grain film off Saving Private Ryan, and even stands up to A Bridge Too Far in being a completely different kind of film. Kids these days... not interested in anything where someone doesn't shout or fire a gun every five seconds or so. =P

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

I have one bone to pick with The Thin Red Line, in viciously misappropriating its title from the British action at Balaklava<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That you can blame on the James Jones novel.

And by the way, The Thin Red Line rocks my everloving face. And all of yours too.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wildman:

..you trying to add the better part of your *place any anatomy here* for all to see.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, certain parts of my anatomy are for the enjoyment only of very close friends, and sheep, but not for the likes of you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

As for my planes falling out of the air, none of the eight planes that crashed last year were mine, they were that other saps in the other squadrons. And we won't even touch the awesome, tremendous, great Royal Australian Air Force.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh how stupid of me! You're right!!!

Your aircraft dont crash, and they wont touch the RAAF, because they never get off the ground in the first place!

Mace

I like this one, can we keep him? huh can we?

I thought a 'Thin Red Line' was going to be about the engagement on Guadalcanal where the 1st Marine Division was holding on, by a thin line of troops, not about US Army replacements engaging on 'mopping up' operations.

I perferred TRL's action sequences to SPR's, the bunker assault was Hella-Cool!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I like this one, can we keep him? huh can we?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Now Mace, don't forget that you'll have to clean up after his messes, feed and water him, play with him EVERY DAY and bath him ... oh ... once a month or so (he's Air Force, that should improve his personal hygene by a large degree). We are NOT going to take over YOUR responsibility again and we are NOT going to explain to the police again if you break this one as you did the last one. 'Pool recruits are NOT toys.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

The Thin Red Line refers, literally, to a thin line of British soldiers wearing red uniforms. There is a famous painting of them. I've no idea what it has to do with Guadalcanal. I guess the author, as an American, felt obliged to vandalize British military history. =)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?! Are you some bleedin' heart stinkin' Pommie? Oh wait.... You are. Never mind.

The Thin Red Line doesn't deserve to lick the sweat from my balls let alone demand the cash I would lay down for the DVD version. Seesh. The movie was lame-o! With a capital Hiram.

Yeah, it had that one cool bunker assault scene but beyond that it was purely looney. Especially the part where Woody Harrelson pulls the pin from a grenade attached to his webbing belt. So what?! He had the thing attached to the belt by the spoon. If you pull the pin the grenade will pull away quite easily from the spoon and if it doesn't then guess what? The grenade doesn't fricken go off! Sheesh! All I could think of was Warner Brothers when I saw that.

You all suck.

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 01-04-2001).]

Guest Wildman

Apologies if this post even remotely approached grogness.

I'm pretty sure the "Thin Red Line" describes a stand of some Scottish Highland Regiment in the Crimean War.

The cossacks came at them with a calvary charge, and the Highlanders went into a two ranks deep line, fired when they "could see the whites of their eyes" and stopped the charge. Hence the "Thin Red Line". Of course the British then followed that with the Charge of the Light Brigade.

---

jshandorf wrote:

> If you pull the pin the grenade will pull away quite easily from the spoon and if it doesn't then guess what? The grenade doesn't fricken go off!

So in your state of incapacitation in lieu of the next injection of loud bangs and spurts of blood, you didn't notice what he was doing to the grenades with his bayonet? (Sit down, bauhaus! bauhaus? Ah hell*, he's not even here...)

*copyright Peter Sellers

It's with great pleasure that I announce that Herr Seniletea has lost to none other that......me. Granted, it was only a minor victory, 59-41, but he held ZERO victory locations....yep, ZERO. So not only has he lost to Mr. Peng......now he has lost to me....the holder of the worse defeat at the hands of Snoriarty. The shame.

tomb update:

Bauhaus-win

Seanachai-loss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Wildman wrote:

LORAK: An obvious fairy with delusions of grandeur.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh my good man. For one that claims to have been lurking in the pool for a while.. you still have no concept of how it works do you?

Here in the pool, your goal is to belittle people not heap praise upon them. The only way your post resembles the rest of the crap put out by these idiots is that it makes no sense.

First you admit that I am a fairy, Hence by your own admission you place me with the 'Tuatha De Danann'. You sir could have bestowed no greater honor upon my person if you would have tried. I thank thee.

Second... The rest of your post obviously is in error. Being a fairy and one of the 'Tuatha De Danann' It is a given that I am infact gracefull and full of grandeur. hence there can be no delusion on my part.

Lorak the loathed

Oh, for the Honor of Kitty

=^..^=

:edited to post the tomb update:

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 01-04-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

I would have posted the author, but no name was found.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now Lorak, I may have said this before, but I am wont to repeat myself anyway, getting on a bit, and as we have seen, there are those on the board who not only have a plank nailed to their forehead, as we say at home, but have to carry the effin' Royal Oak through their sad lives, that is how thick they are, so all this repeating would not really help anyway, now where was I?

Ahh - I assume that Fionn and the Fianna (pronounce Feenah, meaning Men of Fionn) is from the Tain (or something like it), in which case it would not have had an original author, since the Celtic tribes who used these stories to liven up their parties did not have a well-developed writing system (no, the Ogham alphabet does not count). The best translation of the Tain is supposed to be the one by the great writer Thomas Kinsella. It is well worth the read, believe me. For a story that is thousands of years old it packs an amazing punch, is hysterically funny and much more entertaining than the bloody bible, even the Old Testament.

As an obair a thagann an fhoghlaim.

Learning comes through work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And just for this Lorak, you can always crash at my place when you are in London and I stand you the beers.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Oh, for the Honor of Kitty

=^..^=

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmmmm...Kitty [eyes glaze over]!

Oh, sorry! I was distracted momentarily.

Where was I?

Oh yeh!

Just as well it's for her honor, Lorak. We all know you have none of your own! smile.gif

Mace

Guest Wildman

Ah Lorak the Loathed,

Hitting the keyboard in a random manner and putting quotations around it does not impress me. I care not for your self-pronounced drivel, nor that your ears are pointy. Which we all know is a left-over of your Star Trek convention days.

Now if you want to run around the woods wearing a green tunic and ladies tights that is your own business, but I sure the one known as baultous may take notice.

---

Guest Germanboy

Unimportant geeks being mentioned a lot

GERMANBOY: I want more posts, give me, give me, give me.

More mention of unimportant geeks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is this? An effin' Peng shrine you can come to worship on, hoping that if you throw in yer ¥10 there will be an instant response from the resident deity? Well here is news for you matey - it ain't feckin' going to work. I don't feel funny at the moment. Just ask some of the people who try telling me that crews are this and Patton was that. Here is news for them: crews did not and Patton was a crap GOC and his men knew it and hated him, if they werre intelligent and/or had experienced how real army commanders are like. Ever seen Bill Mauldin cartoons about 3rd army and him? A general with a pearl-handle revolver, give me a bloody break, for damnations feckin' sake. All he could was drive fast. Once he hit resistance he still tried to drive fast, never mind that his men died in droves. Truscott was a general, Patton was a friggin joke, a good-for-nothing 'I know one operational trick but being in the newspaper gets me horny' loser. Probably trying to compensate for the fact that his family was on the side of the losers in the Civil War. The only thing bigger than his incompetence was his ego. Bah, Patton. Next thing they are going to come and worship Mark Clark, or telling me that Field Marshal Hague was bright, or Lord Raglan a competent CO. Tosh.

Well, bottom-line is that I don't feel funny at the moment, and you can just sod off.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Before the movie and the excellent James Jones' trilogy, the Thin Red Line in all its Kipling splendor.

Now shame on you for having a bloody Frog quote Kipling on you Limeys.

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,

The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."

The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,

I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";

But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play -

The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,

O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,

They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;

They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,

But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";

But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide -

The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,

O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll –

The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,

O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,

But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;

An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,

Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"

But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind –

There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,

O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:

We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.

Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face

The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;

An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

And now for the historical part:

After 1881, when the 91st and 93rd regiments became linked as the 1st and 2nd Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, the association with Princess Louise's wedding was retained and woven into the badge of the new regiment, then known as Princess Louise's Sutherland and Argyll Highlanders.

The 93rd Sutherland Highlanders, raised in 1799 by Major General William Wemyss, a nephew of the Earl of Sutherland, was recruited under unusual circumstances for the period. General Wemyss had been particularly successful in recruiting two fencible regiments for home defence from Sutherland Estates and lands. The last of these regiments had just been disbanded when Wemyss set to work to raise the Sutherland Highlanders. Over 250 men joined from the fencibles, while the other 390 or so were raised by levey and ballots on the Sutherland Estates. In the years that followed the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders saw extensive service in the Cape of Good Hope and in the Peninsular Campaign, South Africa and the Zulu Wars (1879) The 93rd Sutherland Highlanders were present at the Cape of Good Hope, the Battle of New Orleans (1814) the Canadian Rebellion of 1838 and they played a distinguished part in both the Crimean War (1853-56) and the Indian Mutiny (1857-58).

Outstanding, unusual and unique are all words which can be applied to the many battle honours of this distinguished Regiment, one battle honour that stands distinctly apart, however, is that of 'Balaclava'.

The 93rd Sutherland Highlanders had fought with great courage at the Battle of Alma in September 1854, as part of Sir Colin Campbell's Highland Brigade. In October however, the 93rd were left behind in the port of Balaclava to unload stores, while the main army moved to Sebastopol to besiege the town.

Following several false alarms, and then with little warning, the Russians attacked and occupied forts and outposts protecting Balaclava. The 93rd were already under arms and in position and Sir Colin Campbell took his meagre force of cavalry, marines and Highlanders and immediately set up a defence. Remember there is no retreat, you must die where you stand he told them. As the Russian Cavalry advanced, the 93rd in line and only two deep, moved over the crest of a hill. For a long moment, all was eerily silent. The movement of the horses, the clinking of the sabres, the champing of bits could clearly be heard. No one spoke. The Russian Cavalry then charged head-long towards the slender British line, and side by side the 93rd stood firm and faced the approaching onslaught.

At 600 yards, they fired a volley into the enemy cavalry which had virtually no impact on its momentum. In the face of increasing volley fire and with the Highlanders line still unyielding, at 200 yards the leading cavalry finally began to break and wheeled to the left. The 93rd moved its defensive position in response and still stood its ground. The Russians, baulked by the 93rd's determination abandoned their attack, and withdrew. As they retreated across the plain pursued by artillery fire, the 93rd threw their bonnets in the air and cheered. "We expected to have to fight soldiers" one of the Russian Cavalrymen commented subsequently, - "not red devils".

Thus the action became the subject of the great Victorian painter, Robert Gibb, who painted this classic:

The Thin Red Line at Balaclava.

trlclr.jpg

------------------

I just told a Cesspooler to do a search.

I feel like Jeff H...

Hiram Sedai

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 01-04-2001).]

See, PawBoon just prooved that it actually WAS American, I mean, take a look at that english, it couldn't be anything other than Texan! Probably whipped from the mouth of good ol' George Duh-Bull-Yuh Bush himself!

I am surprised a poem like that wasn't included in the movie TRL. It probably because it would have made it a little more easier to follow...

Thanks Germanboy.

First it is a pleasure to meet someone who actualy knows something about Irish history.

In fact the part I quoted about Fionn and the Fian is from one of the books I have. Not from the Tain. Aurthor is Seumas MacManus.

The small section I quoted was just a very brief out take of course.

I like stories of Fionn and the Fian. Like out takes from the Agallam na Seanorach.

Supposedly Caoilte and Oisin(Fionns son) were converted by St Patrick and travelled with him on his journeys. At which time they would relate the stories of Fionn and the Fian to Patrick who had them written by his scribe Breogan.

Lovely stuff really.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A general with a pearl-handle revolver, give me a bloody break, for damnations feckin' sake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> IVORY! They were IVORY handled revolvers you feckless Dutch idiot! (Yeah, I know you're German but the German immigrants to the U.S. in the mid 1800s were often called Dutchmen ... so there). As he (Patton, that is) says in the movie of the same name "Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse carries pearl handled pistols." You are, however, quite correct in your analysis of Patton as a military commander ... why the Germans stopped him cold at ... uh ... I mean he obviously had no talent ... hmmm ... just look at his record it's ... just what ARE you on about Andreas?

Joe

Wildman,

Sadly I expected more from a man who showed a least a small bit of highland knowledge.

That you would think The Tuatha De Danann were just random letters, speaks wonders of your intellect.

Basically the quick of it is this. The De Danann won Ireland from the Firbogs and ruled there until they were invaded by the Milesians. The De Danann being highly skilled in the arts were reguarded as mighty magicians by the Milesians and even after they were defeated, the Milesians held them in great Honor and almost worshiped those who they had subdued.

The Milesians and the De Danann fought a great battle at Taillte and afterward the De Danann were assembled and decided that Bodb Derg son of Dagda would be thier king, and recieving Imortality should distribute themselves in thier sprit land under the hills of Ireland, were ever since they have lived in bliss.

Hence this great race of Ireland and thier high skill for art and magic gave birth to the fairys and enchanted folk.

God. You would think you people knew nothing of history.

Oh and if you look for the book Germanboy mentioned (great by the way.)

It is in fact the Tain or the "Tain Bo Cuailgne"

Sigh..eventualy I will leran you people something yet!

Lorak the loathed

------------------

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 01-04-2001).]

Apologies if this post even remotely approached grogness.

I'm pretty sure the "Thin Red Line" describes a stand of some Scottish Highland Regiment in the Crimean War.

The cossacks came at them with a calvary charge, and the Highlanders went into a two ranks deep line, fired when they "could see the whites of their eyes" and stopped the charge. Hence the "Thin Red Line". Of course the British then followed that with the Charge of the Light Brigade.

---<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And everyone forgets the subsequent Charge of the Heavy Brigade, which worked. Buth there has always been a tendency within British forces to focus on defeats.