It's Ready! Techware's GRU 1.0 .. Read All About it.

Guest Gunslinger

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunslinger great mod's!

Have been using them since your website had 'em available. Have a couple of questions though.....

1. What does Matrix Games have to do with CM? (you acknowledge them with a thanks on the same line as BTS)

2. I no longer have fog effects (haven't tried rain or snow since downloading them)....did your mod get rid of these? (don't recall reading any thing concerning fog in your readme)

[This message has been edited by SF (edited 09-10-2000).]

Well honestly, I don't like the new smoke and fire at all. To me, the new fire that came with the 3D explosions mod looks the best so far. What's the deal with that big ugly poofy smoke anyway? That looks almost like the "fast and compatible" smoke option.

------------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well honestly, I don't like the new smoke and fire at all. To me, the new fire that came with the 3D explosions mod looks the best so far. What's the deal with that big ugly poofy smoke anyway? That looks almost like the "fast and compatible" smoke option.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice. Gunslinger does a crapload of work for this mod, does it for free, offers it for download for free, and in response he gets "What's the deal with that big ugly poofy smoke anyway?".

SF... I still have fog, so maybe your PC is the culprit??

and while I may not like the fire n smoke, I sure appreciate the work that went into it.

disgruntled??? try doing it sometime, I have and I can recognize good work, even when it isn't my cup o' tea

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That's nice. Gunslinger does a crapload of work for this mod, does it for free, offers it for download for free, and in response he gets "What's the deal with that big ugly poofy smoke anyway?".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"To each his own". When someone critiques my mods, it just makes me want to try harder. Just because alot of work gets put into something doesn't automatically make it good (not referring to Gunslinger's mods, just "in general"). As for being free he can not exactly charge for it anyway, especially since alot of it is mods of other peoples' mods. I'm sure Gunslinger, just as I do, realizes that not everyone is going to like your stuff. Got to please yourself first.

My personal taste is that I like the brighter colours in the game. Photorealistic is not something I prefer, as to do this you have to include ...well..photos.

Gunslinger's work is top-notch though.

-johnS

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 09-10-2000).]

Guest Gunslinger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, I'm not out for an ego trip or to make any else other than myself happy.

That's also the reason I seperated the downloads in different sections so you could mix or match.

I'm not pissed or hurt at your feelings, just marveling at your un-educated way of expressing yourself.

------------------

**GUNSLINGER**

liltechware.jpg

http://techware.gtinsider.com

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-10-2000).]

Hi Gunslinger ,

just want to say " THANK YOU " for your great work. Now my CM looks more like a " 50th/60th warmovie " ...and I love those earty warm colors. Especially the new buldings and trees make this mod a " must have " ( and : I like the way how the new smoke dissolves in the air ).

Some suggestions ( I hope , I am allowed to give those ):

1.) The horizont looks much better/more realistic if you " soften/blur " it a bit via Paintshop or Photoshop.

2.) Maybe you should check some textures:

The snow tiles have grids , a part of the Sturmgeschuetz textures ( cannon ) is snowy white now (?) and the rubble tile has some strange " artefacts " at the corners ( so does the german flag ).

3.) It´s just a problem of personal taste: the grass seems to be a little bit too dark and it´s very difficult to see the structure of the terrain now.

Anyway..keep up the good work

Regards

Thomas Klimisch

------------------

Visit Toms Combat Mission HQ ( bilingual site ) at http://home.germany.net/101-77027/CM/TCMHQ.html

Guest Gunslinger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:

1.) The horizont looks much better/more realistic if you " soften/blur " it a bit via Paintshop or Photoshop.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried that but for reasons which I will explain it is not very good in-game.

First look at the default skys that come with CM.

Notice they look dithered? I too was wondering why they would dither a 24 bit BMP file. But then when I was designing GRU I found out. Since CM is a 16 bit color game, anything using more than 16 bit will look banded (visable color changes). That is what happened to my photo-realistic skys. So in order to make them non-banded, they have to be dithered down to 256 colors, then set back to 24 bit after coloring. Now, getting to blur. Blur looks like crap-ola if you dither it. hence no blur smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2.) Maybe you should check some textures:

The snow tiles have grids , a part of the Sturmgeschuetz textures ( cannon ) is snowy white now (?) and the rubble tile has some strange " artefacts " at the corners ( so does the german flag ).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I discovered this after everything was done. All I can say for those few messed up textures is Ooops.

I hope me missing 10 or so textures out of 1,700 is forgivable though biggrin.gif

------------------

**GUNSLINGER**

liltechware.jpg

http://techware.gtinsider.com

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-10-2000).]

I am super impressed with the color scheme in your mod. The look is quite right to my eye. It's somewhat similar to Falcon 4's color set? In any event, I've been enjoying the combination of everyone's mods--touched by and added to by yourself.

This one is NOT leaving the hard drive.

I've even been shutting off the unit bases during movie playback to enjoy it in all of its glory.

I only wish I had a stronger system to put in the vehicle mods. It really hits my frame rate badly when I put them in with battles over 1500 points.

Awesome! 21 smiley salute!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scorpion:

I'm downloading the files as we speak, however, I have a question, and forgive me if you've answered it already (and I'm just being dense).

If I install the GRU 1.0 mod, and then Tiger or someone else makes a new vehicle mod, will it look 'funny' or different because you haven't tweaked it? Or did you not touch the vehicles at all? Regardless of whether or not you tweaked other people's vehicle mods, what exactly is in the huge vehicle zip? Are they other people's vehicle mods?

I'm curious to know which mods you picked, as there have been several good Panther, Tiger, and King Tiger mods.

Thank you again! I can't wait to see what it looks like...

Cheers,

-Scorp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunslinger, first up a big "thank you" for the work and incredible mods. I am getting beaten in my PBEMs much more realistically now! :^)

Second, any response to Scorps' question above? I like Tiger's work and want to use his mods, but do his mods need to be "toned down" first or are they good to go with your mods as they are?

Cheers,

OGSF

simple answer OGSF= try em out. It's a personal taste thing. I have both and like em.

Before you unzip a tiger mod, or anyone elses, look at the bitmap numbers. There are not usually many for a vehicle.

Copy the identical numbers from the bitmap folder of CM proper to a safe (and memorable) place on your machine.

Then go ahead and install the mod by unzipping it into CM bitmaps folder.

If you like the look of the mod in the game, great. If not, simply copy back your saved bitmap files, no harm done.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aikidorat:

Any mac users try this pack yet? If so, how'd it work with the mod managers?

just curious. I havent had the time to try it myself.

dave

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed it and it toook about an hour on a mac to convert all the files

but it looks great

On the Mac I have had some difficultly with one brush texture it comes in sort of purply with some green lines in it.

I think i have on corrupted file.

but the rest look really great

It takes time on the mac to do but I would say ti is worth it

I prefer the other Fire and explosion files I have before from the Mad Matt Mod Pack 2 I think

but the tress and grasses and buildings are VERY well done.

-tom w

Gunslinger ... great work.

Like it ... it's here to stay. But I noted that when you have snow on ground, you see the grid. I don't really want to play with grid. Is it really what you want or you just misplaced one file?

[This message has been edited by frag (edited 09-11-2000).]

aka_tom_W,

which mod manager did you use to install the graphics? Just curious, and wanted to hear how the manager worked.

as for the one brush texture that has the purple lines in it: It's probably a file where the mask color is slightly off.

We've noticed during testing that a few of the bmps have slightly different mask colors than what is recognized (used?) for Mac CM, and that it's pretty simple to replace the offending color with the correct one.

check out the tips and techniques area, as one of the mod manager threads talks about it.

thanks!

dave

------------------

History is made at night

Guest dirkd1976

Hey Knaust, I got the same problem. The turret of the tiger tank looks like it has a winter texture on it, but I think its just the regular color all washed out. I'm probably going to replace that file with the older version, besides that, this mod is a keeper!! (By the way, I like how the white barrels look on the Sturms).

cwm3.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

[This message has been edited by dirkd1976 (edited 09-12-2000).]