SHould I buy this game?

Guest Scott Clinton

Play the demo is my suggestion.

Asking people in this forum will not help. Everyone in this forum loves the game...what do you think we will tell you? wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I am looking for a good WW2 game and came across this one. The reviews have been good but I want to hear ffrom the gamers. What do you think?

You're kidding right?

>What are its strengths

It's the best squad level WWII game in existence. Period.

>and weaknesses?

It's become a black hole where all of my spare time goes into.

>Is it worth the $45?

No, it's worth $90.

>Is is stable and playable?

The original Beta was more stable and playable than MANY of the games that are being sold today.

>Thanks for your in put.

Get the demo, play it. You'll be hooked.

This is best WWII game ever! And you will have it on your hard drive for years to come. Most games cost $45 plus, but after you have the game for a week you'll feel like youv'e them ripped off. It's a steal. DL the demo it's not as polished and fine tuned as the final but there you can see the Strengths. I don't know that it has a weakness. Very stable. never had a crash. Extremely playable. Say goodbye to friends and family. smile.gif

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TownsendVol:

What do you think?

What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Is it worth the $45?

Is is stable and playable?

Thanks for your in put.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is great.

It stands head and shoulders about everything else I have seen. There are issues about modeling certain aspects of combat that are being debated here, but in all fairness, these are nitpicks, unless you are a hard-core Grognard.

It is worth a lot more than that, since you will save a lot on buying other wargame, until CM2 comes out.

Yes, at least on both my Macs.

Buy it.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-28-2000).]

My unbiased .02 cents on this.

I am a very busy person and have limited time for games - unfortunatelly.

I have to pick and choose wisely on the game that I buy, not b/c I can't afford them but b/c of my time limitations I figure I better pick the ones that would be most enjoyable.

Combat mission has been one of my 2 games that I get to play and have been doing so for 3-4 months now.

CM is true to the genre with great innovations in it. I have never played a war game as good a this ever. Yeah, there are always classics but this one still wins by a long haul.

Never had any technical difficulties with it.

Very detailed and strategically demanding - unlike other games that once a strategy is found you can use it succesfully every time.

Longevity is superb with play-by-email or internet play. AI is fairly good and until you get the hang of the game, does plenty to make you reload your old saved game.

Excellent support from the makers with patches to fix up very small details.

In short - I has been the best $45 spent in a game for me in a long, long time.

Have a nice day!

Doh!

Tanks REALLY are eggshells with hammers!!!

You have Never played a WWII combat sim better than this one, unless you were exposed to some top secret military training software we don't know about!

If you have not played the Demo, play Valley of Terror and hold on to your seat.

Spend some time reading this board and find how how incredibly dedicated Steve and Charles and Matt and Dan are to this game.

It has been patched and upadted about SIX times since its release in their quest for perfection since the people that make this game REALLY like to play it as well.

And they want their game to paly to PERFECTION and it shows!!

Just buy it!

what are you waiting for!

smile.gif

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-28-2000).]

Most of the few weaknesses of the game, like the graphics, have largely been remedied by the harder than hardcore fan community.

The strengths totally outweigh any problems with the game: exceptional tactical sophistication; carefully researched historical detail; well-conceived interface; unique design elements; easy to learn, yet deep enough for years of intense play; massive replay value with tons of user-made scenarios, a scenario editor, and a Quick Battle skirmish mode that generates new maps and engagements every time.

If you buy any strategy game, this is the one. It makes most other games look laughable by comparison.

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 12-28-2000).]

One important note.

Just because CM is in full 3D, do not...I REPEAT...do not go comparing its graphics to FPS games like Unreal Tourney, QuakeIII or Star Trek Elite Forces, you have to compare them to all other WARGAMES of the past and you'll realize that CM has the best graphics to date in the genre.

And one other plus is that most every texture and sound can be modified. I fact, as the game currently stands, there is about a mod for every texture that's in the game, including the user-interface panels and such. You see they are all bitmaps which are EASILY modifiable by a Paint Program.

Forget the demo! Buy the game! There's really no other choice. Believe me, you'll thank us for it.

Your wife/girlfriend (if you have one) will probably hate us for it, though. But that doesn't matter, since -by that time- you won't really care.

Eeew, I feel like a pusher here. biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Guest MantaRay

This game sucks ass. I would never reccomend it to anyone as the code is really crappy, and it has that "rushed" feel. To top it off the customer service is worse than Dennys.

And the most crappy part is BTS paid off all of the reviewers to get a good rating, and then hired Madmatt, geez, what a crock.

Ok, ok I was just kidding, CM is the best game to ever come to the PC. Buy it now, Buy it now, buy it now!!!!!! smile.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

If you like and play wargames this one is a must. It is the best wargame on the market today. Download the demo and play it. If your computer can handle it, the full game will work for you. Even if all you do is play the demo, it's better than most other wargames on the market.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Can't say more than what's been said, except to add that the game is remarkably stable runs quite well on low- to mid-range systems. The interface is fast and elegant. This is definitely one of those games people will be referring to fondly for years to come.

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

In a word - YES!. Send your payment details to BTS immediately. This game (it's sounds inadequate calling it just a "game"), is most definately the best wargame ever made. It also has fantastic customer support, thanks to BTS.

p.s - I have never seen anyone come on this forum and say that they have regretted buying it. So what are you waiting for?.

End Of Sales Pitch!.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Guest Warphead-

I am planning to buy my next PC right now. It will have two CD-drives. One for Combat Mission one for the rest... wink.gif

------------------

["Haben die Krupp-Werke Betriebsausflug? Da rollt ja halb Deutschland auf mich zu..." (Vincent)]

Well with all the comments from what I've read above let me tell you this,DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

As the owner of the game myself for as many months since it's release,I have found those above comments to be unfair to BTS and CM, I would like to say the game is fantastic and an absolute masterpiece. And everyone else here has sold it short by describing it anything less :P

------------------

"Some people don't see the light until they first feel the heat"