Combat Mission: Roleplay a large operation!!

Guest Turret

Guest Turret

Ever wish your battle was part of the bigger picture of the European Theater? Wish no more. I’m inviting up to 20 players to roleplay the battlefield commanders for a large Battle/operation like the scale of large breakout (Bulgesque) or something. Here is how it will likely work: (I’m open to feedback, but I might scratch the whole thing if it seems like a pain in the ass for me to be the ref here)

On battlenights( Mondays?) I would request that the 10 German leaders start up individual quick battle against the AI with the parameters as I set them in an e-mail to each player. The 10 Allied players as the American Army commanders would do the same. Effectively these are the battles on the frontlines of some larger hypothetical engagement. The results points for each side (human earned points only) would be tallied up and after consideration I will advance the cause of the highest scoring side and I will write up a description of this (your after action battle reports will help add color). I’m thinking there will be 5 battlenights for the first round. Those players that do well in comparison to their peers will be given medals and citations and given access to veteran troops but have to fight harder battles ( enemy given 20% more points, or lead attacks in very hilly forested terrain). Leaders are “in” the battles of course and I will roll the dice (50/50) on the bottom leader for each side and they will be “casualties” and have to leave the game. That will hurt their side of course, but I will add the old average score as a place holder in the games scoring

Cheating: I’ve thought about this and I’ve concluded that cheating might happen and there is not much I can do. I’m not going to load up twenty saved games, but I might ask a few players to e-mail the last turn as a saved game and I will spot check. What about playing a battle over and over? Well that can happen and that sucks. You could burn in Hell on Judgement Day so think about it. This is just a game and I hope it appeals to the history buff not the Command and Conquer kids. You have some opportunity in the face of great danger to be famous amongst the players. But there is a chance you will lose badly and be “killed”. I can’t see that there would be any glory for those that want to be heroes if they do not accept the peril of being ejected from the game. Also, those who think the AI has problems. Do not apply. We have to have faith in CM’s design because I do not have the time to defend it or even hear about it. I just want action to feed the “story”. I promise a great write up every week. I think it could be fun.

I’m going to ask each applicant for a little comment of what they think of my design and if we get more than twenty applications than I might screen those that might seem like problem players. Also include your preferred side if you have one. Later applicants might have to play the other side if are too many on one side. Make up a name for your leader for reference in the write ups. Please have a realistic name, maybe your own, not Col Meatmaker or Ober Frankfurterleiber. I will accept German names from Hogan’s Heroes because that show was great and I can’t shame it.

E-mail your application to: JHBARRY@Unum.com . I’ll get back to you as I know more. The rules may change, but I promise fairness. I’m pretty unbiased as to the outcome of the game. I like a good battle and leaders that don’t kill their men.

Thanks,

Jim Barry

Freeport, Maine

This is a great idea. I wish you luck in this enterprise.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, check out the CMMC write-up over at CMHQ-Annex. But this is a huge project and is still some time away from being ready for the public, so it's great to have you filling the void. Maybe us CMMC GMs won't be lynched just yet wink.gif.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Guest Scott Clinton

Sign me up! US (pref) or German but if you are in dire need of some other nation I can fill the void.

At last a meta-type game for me! smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-09-2000).]

Guest Turret

Thanks everyone. I have 19 now and that seems enough. I can't seem to e-mail Hauptmann Lorak. He may be out of contact for this battle. I just read Fionn's Meta Campaign and it sure makes my idea seem simple! The key to my Meta Camp is that I'm going to use lot my imagination to fit the events of the players' quick battles into a Operation. Many events that affect the playing out of the operation exist outside the players control an in my head. As I have no Generals in my campaign the players (like real Captains) are just along for the ride trying not to kill thier men while still obeying orders. The interaction between a player as General or Colonel forcing his subordinates into action would be great fun, but it does seem to really complicate everything. I think I've given my players enough room to a least roleplay a reaction to their generals. There just will not be a General that reacts back, unless I just make it up. When I used to play Dungeons and Dragons (very limtited and over twenty years ago) my DM used to "roleplay" all the characters that we ran into. We trusted that he was not out to just screw us whatever we said to some castlekeeper. It sure made for a world outside of ourselves that we could interact with. I may figure out a way to get some players to roleplay the General/Colonel. it does not seem that far away, but I'm going to start simple and see how it goes.

Actually, I wouldn't mind flexing some muscle vs the AI.

German commander obviously.

I know it is now Tuesday but would it be possible to get some parameters for a quick battle today anyways? I feel like killing the AI.

GREAT IDEA MAN! The Gaming store I used to hang out in used to do a big game occasionaly with WWII Table top stuff (you know train set trees and landscapes with realistically made men and equipment)... It was somewhat similar... Each man/Woman would be in control of a country and decide who to attack etc... Then a batle would ensue most likely, then another and another, aliences and such where formed while others where broken... I once played a leader of a rebel faction (remmeber this was played with WWII peices but in a imaginary war) My role was not to seize land so much as weaken my enemies (two nations in particular) I didn't much in the way of men an equipment, but it was always up to me how I would strike... Heh fun thing was each strike tended to win me some more equipment and supplies till eventually I overthrew the country and went to war with the countries former allies... Heh We lost that war, but man what a GREAT time it was... The Big game lasted for about 2-3 months playing every wednesday and friday.

Wednesday was the day that most often people made descisions based on their politics etc.. Friday was battle night (mainly cuz the battles often lasted for a number of hours... on multiple tables... whereas the planning only took an hour or two on wednesday)

I might do something like this myself. I'll have to think about it, but if anyone likes the idea of playing a game like this email me at Demangel@realvamp.zzn.com

If I get 4 or more people interested I will seriously consider it.

All the battles will be human vs human... Pbem, set in an imaginary war using WWII equipment... Each player will be issued a map of the region outlining what holdings they have, and nuericaly and graphically what forces and resources they have...

then once a week each player emails with their plans, and I set up the battles... A week later you'll get your senarios... And then you play amongst yourselves... Each side sending me their results for each turn... The pbem battles must be done within two weeks of being issued, and those who finish early can get a jump on the others by planning new battles...

Remmeber I am not trying to steal anyones thunder, I just got so inspired by this thread...THANKS TURRET!

So email me if your interested and Maybe I'll set up a CM BIG GAME!

Demangel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demangel:

so email me if your interested and Maybe I'll set up a CM BIG GAME!

Demangel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds cool. Count me in.

Have you looked at CM meta campaign at CMHQ?

That has some similarities to your suggestion.

Hey Im game, I would like to be on the german side.. maybe Panzer Comander? (zipper heads never die they just burn up in thier tanks) maybe Panzergrenediers?

contact me.. all info above, icq best chance of contact.

Mensch.