Playing CM on 21inch monitors

I have used everything from 15" to 21".

The big monitors certainly are nice. But more important is to get a *good* monitor.

Recently I purchased an entirely new system, and I decided to get a top of the line 19" instead of a mid-level 20 or 21. I am happy with that decision.

If you can afford the top of the line 21", I would recommend Sony, and Iiyama.

Jeff Heidman

I have a 20" (or 21", don't remember) I borrowed from my workplace.

20" is Panasonic, quite cheap model. Sharp but shaped like a fishbowl.

I also have a 17" Sony, sharp image, almost flat surface.

20" is a jillion times better. smile.gif

I'd recommend a low end 21" Sony with a flat screen. We have a bunch

of those at work and they're just beautiful.

Thanks for the responses. I've heard that the Viewsonic 21" is a good monitor - anyone out there have it? I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like the horizontal wire lines in the Sony monitors, so even though I know they are excellent, I don't think it will be an option for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nathman:

I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like the horizontal wire lines in the Sony monitors <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a trinitron "feature", so don't take anything with -tron in the name.

I have a Sony F500R and I must say playing CM at 2048x1536 resolution is extremely nice... Who needs full screen anti-aliasing at that res? I started in 1993 with a 15", moved to a 17" in 1995 and finally a 21" in 1997. Since then there is no going back. I just wish they made them bigger...

stimpy

I really appreciate that the CM CD installs on PCs and Macs.

I use a 21" Seiko on my pc at home. It's over 10 years old and has a trinitron tube. Unfortunately it maxes out at 1024 X 768 res but with a Geforce and hi res mods CM looks awesome and FPS games like Cstrike and UT on a 21" monitor are the bomb.

At work I use a Sony 520gs on a 400mhz Mac G3. Resolution goes up to 1920 X 1080 @ 75hz. The wires are barely visible and you don't even notice them unless your looking real close. Compared to the Geforce and Voodoo2s in my pc the ATI Rage Pro in the Mac is junk, but you can crank the resolution way up and see a bigger view of the game. Saves a lot of scrolling and camera work.

You can't go wrong with Sony or any make that uses trinitron tubes. They are built to last.

The bigger, the better.

Jarmo, thanks for that bit of info - I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I can condition myself to ignore the lines and consider getting a Sony since that seems to be the choice of most everyone that has written in.

I'm drooling at the prospect of going from my 17" to a 21". Maybe I'll make it a Thanksgiving present instead! wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stimpy:

I started in 1993 with a 15", moved to a 17" in 1995 and finally a 21" in 1997. Since then there is no going back. I just wish they made them bigger...

stimpy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I worked in a lab a couple of years ago, and they have a 28" HP monitor on a couple of desktops.

HP doesn't list them on their Web site, but they DO make them.

They do exist.

They are BIG, though, you can sit 3' away from the screen and it still looks big.

It's funny to see the MS Office toolbar on those, it's tiny.

smile.gif

I don't have any money to buy one of those, unfortunately. I'm stuck with a 15" monitor at home.

And my PC at home is so bad that I have to play CM on my PentiumPro laptop.

frown.gif

Try a 27"! I'm using a gateway 27". Maxs out at 800x600 w/60Hz refresh. Not the greatest but a play from 3-4 ft away in a heated recliner smile.gif

Life is good.

Computer gaming world just did a review on another big monitor too.

------------------

Sticks and stones may break my . . OUCH! Hey! Who threw . . .Stop! STOP IT!

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

I have used 21" and 24" monitors and didn't really like them. Instead I have my 19" and then when I feel like it I hook up my 42" TV to my computer for some good old fashioned CM fun.

Hey you know I just thought of something.... I can hook up a VCR to my Radeon and record CM movies... hmmmmm think of it. wink.gif

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Guest machineman

I've bought a Viewsonic P810 21" for work and found it very nice to use, good colors, type seemed ok, etc. The extra screen real estate was really nice. However I switched to a 17" (brand or model I don't know) for a while to let the secretaries try out the 21 and wow, type was amazingly clear, substantially better than my 21 and any other monitor I'd ever used.

Before that I didn't really realize how much difference monitor sharpness made. Needless to say, when I go monitor shopping for myself I'm going to test them out with fine type and try to get a sharp 17" or 19" and use the extra money to get a dual head video card to go for a two monitor setup.

One thing I've noticed is that the off brand (and sometimes, name brand) monitors will not run very well at their highest advertised resolution. They've usually sacraficed the refresh rate to get to that next step up. Just something to keep in mind when testing them at the local dealer.

Otherwise I'd recommend that you drop twenty grand on that Pioneer 42 inch plasma display. (and then lend it to me).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nathman:

Thanks for the responses. I've heard that the Viewsonic 21" is a good monitor - anyone out there have it? I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like the horizontal wire lines in the Sony monitors, so even though I know they are excellent, I don't think it will be an option for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Viewsonic 21" (Professional Series PF790), highly recommended, we have other monitors here and they dont have nearly the features and crispness that this one has..

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

I'm using a 21" ViewSonic P815. I run CM at 1152x864. I like to have as much playing area in view as I can get. I'd run at a higher resolution if I could, but I lose the grids above 1152x864.

However, it does take some getting used to. It feels like you are sitting much closer to the screen and you have to move your eyes around more. Some folks don't like that, but I will never go back to a smaller screen.

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

[This message has been edited by Snake Eyes (edited 11-11-2000).]

I started with 13.3inch viewable monitor. I recently jumped up to an 18 inch viewable .25 dot pitch monitor. I'd poke out my eyes with a fork before I'd go back to 13.3! Go with the big my friend you'll love it!

Mord.

I had an Nanao 21" a few years ago. It was too big. I've found that running games at high resolutions is impractical because the game type and control bars are too small to read.

I recommend the Iiyama Vision Master 450 19" for sharp clear text and colors. Using 4x FSAA on my Voodoo 5 with all hi-res mods available, CM looks great and plays smoothly. NO pixel popping.