Another Vet of WWII gone

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

My Grandfather Harold A. Baugher is gone. My grandfather a German Vet of WWII(moved to U.S. in 1959) was taken by a sudden anerism in his heart. I still can't believe it. I just spoke with him Saturday and he was fine. When I think of Grandfather I think Strongwilled,Stern,demands respect, and never piss him off. Now thats gone. What I will miss the most is putting Christmas lights up with him and listening to his WWII tales. I am still shocked at how quickly such a strong man can just be gone. My dad said he was fine this morning when stopped to see Grandfather before work. Its strange how life works sometimes, one minute fine next something like this happens. I just wanted to do this thread because at the moment everyone is at work or not home and I had to get it out. Hopefully as long as I remember him he will never be gone.

P.S.

I love you Gramps and I will miss you

Sir, I also would like to express my regrets over your lose. I know exactly how you feel. My grandfather died suddenly during surgery many years. I also had spoken to him only two days before and all was well.

There is little anyone can say to help you in this period of grief but remember you are not alone.

MikeT

The brave veterans of that great war, a war which defined the very nature of our present daily lives are indeed slipping away from us all too rapidly. Their generation is facing its sunset and all too soon we will be left with only memories, pictures, and their words inscribed for future generations.

My condolences to you Shatter50 for your personal loss. You were fortunate to have had a good deal of time to spend with your Grandfather, though I imagine it seemed all too short. The war stories he passed along to you should be treasured, preserved, and passed along to your own Grandson someday. As long as we honor their memory, they will never be forgotten. Salute!

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 11-14-2000).]

Shatter50,

I know how you feel, so my heart goes out to ya man.

My father a vet of WWII (he drove supply trucks at first and then drove medical evac trucks) died back in December of 1994 just two days before Christmas. He died in a car accident and if it was not for that I believe he would still be with us today.

When growing up I never thought to ask him of his WWII service. It just never really crossed my mind. Mostly because I think he never really talked about it. I always wonder if it was because no one asked him or he just didn't want to share it. This I don't know and I will regret it and miss him always.

Just be gald that you were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to spend time with him sharing his past like that.

Jeff

You must be very proud of your grandfather for the strength and courage that he showed to come through a conflict of such horror and ferocity that most of us cant imagine(thank god),and still put it behind him enough to move on and start a family and subsequent grand-children.Now he can rest in peace with with his old comrades who werent so lucky.My condolences.

I feel for you shatter, my condolences.

My grandfather was my most favorite person ever, allways to be depended on for silly jokes such as the old "pull my finger" routine. When he passed on, he was my best pal and it was hard but now I feel as if he is close to me always, just thinking of him gives me comfort. I would like to be more like him at times...

It sounds as though your grandfather led a good full life with a loving family and was a man to be respected.

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

I am sorry to for your loss and offer my sincere condolences. I too lost my grandfather but it has been sometime, if there is anything we here can do to ameliorate your pain please do not hesitate to ask.

Shatter, no words will help allevieate your loss, but I hope you can find solace in knowing that all of us here (I feel confident in saying ALL) have heavy hearts for you on this day of great loss. I know exactly how you feel... I lost my "pop-pop" to a sudden and fatal heart attack way back in 1974 (I was 14) and am still not "over it"... He was fortunate in that he was just getting grouped up for a ride over to Europe in '45, compliments of the US Army when hostilities ended. He was part of a mortar crew. If any of you are in Washington DC, you can spy his name on "the wall" of Police officers fallen in the line of duty. I am his namesake (I'm the 3rd), and I couldn't be prouder of that fact. He was the most important and influential person in my, then, young life. Well, gotta go. Writing this has "those feelings" of great loss welling up in me and I'm at work. I can't be seen crying at my desk...

I'm very saddened to hear of your loss. I have two grandparents in their 80s (both of whom lived through WW2 in Europe). I visit them as much as I can, for I know that they won't be around much longer. As much as I try to prepare myself, I know I'll never be ready for the day that phone call comes.

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

Thanks to all for their respects,and offers of comfort it means more than you know. I saw a earlier post asking to tell my Grandfathers stories I think I will but right now I must tend to family and funeral arrangments. When funeral is over I would like to tell all his stories to sort of immortalize him, but before I do his stories, I want to know if all of you would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks again everyone for the support

P.S. Grandpa I will also miss our fireworks on the 4th of July.

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 11-14-2000).]

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

I have been doing scenarios for a while and thought of doing some scenarios of my Grandfather accounts of WWII.

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 11-14-2000).]

The mourner's kaddish (to expedite the transition of the soul).

kdshheb.gif

Yit-gadal v'yit-kadash sh'mey raba, b'alma di v'ra hirutey, vyam-lih mal-hutey b'ha-yey-hon uv'yomey-hon uv'ha-yey d'hol beyt yisrael ba-agala u-vizman kariv, v'imru amen.

Y'hey sh'mey raba m'varah l'alam ul'almey alma-ya.

Yit-barah v'yish-tabah v'yit-pa-ar v'yit-romam v'yit-na-sey v'yit-hadar v'yit-aleh v'yit-halal sh'mey d'kud-sha, b'rih hu, leyla* min kol bir-hata v'shi-rata tush-b'hata v'ne-hemata da-amiran b'alma, v imru amen.

Y'hey sh'lama raba min sh'ma-ya, v'ha-yim aleynu v'al kol yisrael, vimru amen.

Oseh shalom bim-romav, hu ya-aseh shalom aleynu v'al kol yisrael, v'imru amen.