Another Vet of WWII gone

Guest Shatter50

I'd be very interested in hearing the stories myself, as well as what your Grandfather thought of warfare.

My Grandfather died about two years ago. I had been urging him to write a memoir of his experiences. He was very insightful, always coming at things from a different angle than everyone else. I learned a lot from the example he set.

I won't forget.

------------------

------------

And dying in your beds many years from now,

would you be willing to trade ALL the days from this day to that, for ONE chance -- JUST ONE CHANCE -- to come back here, and tell our enemies... that they may take our lives -- but the'll NEVER take our FREEDOM!

-- Braveheart

I was with my paternal grandfather when he passed away, but I remember Saturday evenings playing "wargames" with plastic soldiers in his backyard, watching old movies, and the evening meal with our family. He will only be gone when I'm gone. Just close your eyes and remeber.

God bless.

Sorry to hear it, Shatter.

My dad, whom I wrote about here once a while back, died just before this last Memorial Day, also without warning. He was an AA gunner in 1st Army, and not long before his passing I reviewed as much of his WWII story with him as he would allow. Glad I did.

Now they're both gone but their story and sacrifice live with us. Good luck to you in this difficult time.

Guest AggroMann

I am very sorry about your grandfather. When my grandfather goes im gonna have to crawl under my bed and sob for a week...in all seriousness.

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

My grandfather was an Infantryman for the 4th Infantry Division in WWII.I never knew this about him until he died when I was 9. Ever since then I have missed him terribly and still occasionally cry over his loss. I have always regretted never getting to ask him about his experiences, and I guess that is why I got involved with wargaming in the first place.In fact, my handle refers to the two Silver Stars he won in action in the ETO.

If you felt as close to your grandfather as I do with mine, and i believe you do, you recieve my deepest and heartfelt sympathies.

And as for stories of your Grandfather, I think it is a great idea. Perhaps we can organize a semi-permanent topic where people can share war stories of relatives no longer there to share them.

Again, my deepest regards.

-Andrew

Shatter I think your idea to post your Grandfather's stories is a great idea,what a great way to honor the memory of the men who fought in the blooodiest struggle in human history. My father fought with the British 8th Army in North Africa and Italy and I know he will feel priveledged to put his story along side your Grandfather's and the stories of all the other brave men who fought so hard and suffered so much .

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

Shatter, I believe posting/publishing your Grandfathers war stories would be an excellent way in which to honor him, and which would provide an opportunity for others to share in his experiences.

It is particularly important I believe, that our generation act as the custodians of the personal experiences of those who participated in that great war. The younger generations and those yet to arrive, will only know what has been written down and passed along.

It is my own humble opinion, that those of us in our generation who are the direct benefactors of their generation's efforts and sacrifices, owe them a great debt of honor. It is the very least we can do to repay them in some small measure for our deliverance from a world that might have been otherwise horribly unimaginable.

Each veteran who participated in that great conflict, regardless of the uniform they wore, played a part in and had a role in a gigantic struggle that would alter the course of world history forever. A struggle so titanic as to defy absolute documentation. And therein lies the importance of preserving each veterans eyewitness accounts and personal perceptions.

Let me give you an example of something I saw take place as a result of something similar to your proposal. My now Ex-Father-in-Law, served on an LST in the Pacific Theater during WWII, and participated as a Machinist Mate on a Landing Craft at Iwo Jima. While he did not speak often of his experiences, he would remark occasionally that what had bothered him the most in remembrance, was the look on the faces of the young Marines who they were carrying to the beach. He said, he could never forget the look in their eyes. And that they were all so young and so scared. He said he always wondered what had happened to each of them as he couldn't forget their faces. I believe it must have bothered him on many a lonely night.

Well, we got him a computer and got him hooked up to the internet. Now, he's in his seventies so he wasn't real up on technology. But he reluctantly began to browse the net. I encouraged him to seek out WWII sights and this spiced his interest a little. Well, to shorten this story, one day he ran across a page posted by the Son of a US Navy veteran who had served in the Pacific, and had died a few years back. The Son had created the page as a tribute to his Veteran Father. Turns out, my Ex-Father-in-Law and this fellows Father were shipmates and good pals on that LST off Iwo Jima. And, my Father-in-Law had not spoken to any of his shipmates having lost track of them since the war.

Well, on account of that dedication page, many other of their shipmates had stumbled across the Son's tribute to his Father, and they all now periodically get together to have dinner, bowl, pal around and swap stories about the old days. It has helped them all a great deal to not only be able to see each other, these shipmates who missed each other, but also and I think more importantly to help them resolve for themselves the question of "what happened to those faces"? In some small way, it has brought some closure to each of them. And it was all on account of a person from our generation preserving and honoring the stories of his Veteran Father and making them available for everyone else.

I tell you this, in the hope that it will help ease the loss somehow, to know that while your Grandfather may now be physically gone, his memories, his stories, and his experiences are not only worthy of preserving, but may ultimately touch someone else's heart and soul.

God Speed Shatter

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

I know your pain and share it, my friend.

My own father, WW2 Vet (USAAF) left us just a little over two years ago. I'm still not over that. I never will be.

We are losing these heroes by the hundreds every day now. Its very sad.

I wish you well.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

Before I head off to start the funeral arrangements I wanted to read this thread again. THANKS TO ALL FOR SUPPORT IT HAS HELPED TO KNOW THEIR ARE CARING PEOPLE IN THE WORLD, I THOUGHT FOR A WHILE THEY WERE ALL GONE. It has helped over the past 48 hours to know their are people who care about veterans and my Grandfather.

I just wanted to say thanks, for your post have really made me feel better or as best I can. All of you members are great. Some have even offered to help in anyway they can. The only help I will need is on Friday when I must carry my Grandfather to his resting place,this will be very hard(who am I trying to kid I will be crying my eyes out). So if you guys out there will give a little pray to give me the strength to make it threw a long hard day,I would be greatful. My Dad is as well is very upset. I told him about the thread here and he is now going to get a computer and join us as well to also contribute to my Grandfathers tales. My family besides me seems kinda stand offish toward new technologies. This is a big step for Dad in such a hard time so when he joins make him feel welcome please. He will be SENIOR SHATTER50. Only my Grandfather knew of my attendance at this web site(I told him of thr to let him know I am proud of him and his experiences in WWII, and that made the Tech issue kinda irrelavent).

Thanks again I consider everyone of you a friend.

Grandpa I will never forget

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 11-15-2000).]