Screaming Meamies, or some such...

While reading several WWII books I've seen much written about Scremaing Meamies flying over head... making an aweful noise and such.

What exactly fired screaming meamies (not sure I'm spelling that right) and are they in CM? (as accurate as CM's sounds are... I know I've never heard anything like described in the books.

I hardly ever play Germans, so I've not had much chance to look.

Anyway, sorry for the idiot question, and thanks for any replies! smile.gif

I'll make an uneducated guess and say that the screaming meemies were the nevergertulwafelafe. Otherwise known as those rockets. I've heard reports of them making god-awful noises when they're fired (saw them on the history chanel over the weekend too, they were quite scary, though I've also heard they were fairly ineffective). And I'd have to assume that CM models these as the arty rocket FOs.

Now seeing as I don't know my elbow from a whole in a nevegertelwafelafe, take all this with a grain of salt and pay more heed to the 84 grogs who post after me. I just like to see my name on the message board.

------------------

"THAT DUCK SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN!"

- Senachai

It wasn't an idiot question. Only veterans and hardcore grogs would know what a "Screaming Meemie" was. As the old saying goes - "the only stupid question is the one not asked". And I have to agree with you on the sound files used for Nebelwerfers in the game; they sound like any other artillery. Maybe someone out there can come up with a sound mod to correct this..

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

Thanks all!

I would love to get hold of a sound file that actually mimicked this "horrible noise" I've read so much about.

As Sgt. suggested, it'd be sweet if someone out there made one for CM usage.

...and Croda, congrats on being correct! smile.gif

I actually got an answer correct myself a few weeks ago... it's a nice feeling! wink.gif

Hee hee.

Guest Madmatt

Actually the sound currently in the game for incoming rockets is pretty accurate from what I have heard from the actual rare archival sound recordings.

I love the History channel as much as the next grog but mostf the sounds you hear in the movies and shows is NOT from the event you are watching. Ever notice that they use the EXACT same winter wind sound whenever they show footage from Russian winters? wink.gif

Most of what you hear (and see!) on TV has been re-mixed, re-edited and sometimes just plain made up. Still fun to watch though!

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

What WAV file IS the rocket sound???

It's possible that I have simply never heard (been fired at by) enemy rockets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh trust me. If you had rockets fired at you you'd know!! Especially the 300mm kind!!! Rockets land ALL OVER the place!

The sound isn't particularly scary sounding on it's own. Other than it lets you know that some very inaccurate arty is on it's way!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I love the History channel as much as the next grog but mostf the sounds you hear in the movies and shows is NOT from the event you are watching. Ever notice that they use the EXACT same winter wind sound whenever they show footage from Russian winters?

Most of what you hear (and see!) on TV has been re-mixed, re-edited and sometimes just plain made up. Still fun to watch though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly right!!

I was watching a documentary on German airpower versus Polish air power, and I suddenly realised that unless every aircraft was wired up with microphones, that all the sounds were fake!... if not exactly inaccurate.

Anyways, I always notice this now, even with the newer Vietnam programmes, I still wonder if the sound is real or not.

I agree with lanzfeld about the gun-camera footage. I REALLY wish that WW2-era film cameras (in airplanes, with reports, etc etc) had sound capability, as the sounds of war can be really interesting. Earlier this week I was playing a CM scenario while cooking dinner; plot orders and hit GO, run to stir this or chop that, and when I heard the sound run back. But on one of the turns the sound itself was so interesting that I just stood there listening, wondering what it must have been like for a WW2 soldier, crouched behind a wall or hunkered down in a forest, to be hearing those noises from only a dozen feet away. Eerie.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

As the old saying goes - "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neglecting the educational content of this thread (I learned what a screaming meemie was), I believe the old saying goes

"there are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions" biggrin.gif

Guest *Captain Foobar*

The nebelwerfer is in the wav directory, under 00000620.wav

turn up your speakers REAAAALLY high, and then double click that little guy... You will here something much like you were looking for..

In game, this usually gets drowned out by the ambient sounds, and everything else thats going on...

As for the screaming or moaning minnies.. I'd venture to guess the name was made by people the rockets flew over and they were hearing the solid fuel rockets burning through the venturi (vents) to create spin. I'm pretty sure the rockets burned out within a few seconds and most of the flight was freefall-ballistic trajectory.. so the people on the receiving end did not hear all the screams of the rockets. I could be wrong.... often am.

scott karch

IIRC from a few books I have read, most western allied troops regarded many of the heavier arty shells coming in as the most disturbing. I have read several accounts of how they sounded like "freight trains" rumbling overhead. I believe it was the rotation of the projectile that created most of the noise.

However, the noise always sounded different, depending on the relative position of the observer. In fact, veteran troops could often tell exactly where it was going to hit, based on the pitch of the noise.

Also interesting, is that 88mm shells fired by German FlaK guns make no sound at all, until they have hit or gone past, because they travelled at supersonic speeds.

y <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

It wasn't an idiot question. Only veterans and hardcore grogs would know what a "Screaming Meemie" was.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*AHEM* I am neither a veteran or a hardcore grog and I knew what a "Screaming Meemie" was. Does that mean I win a coconut?

Guess being a Brit helps sometimes.

------------------

"What about those other a**holes? Mark IV? jdmorose? OldGimpyStumpoFile? Yak2? PatBoone? Gerbilboy?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crepitis:

The British actually reffered to them as "Moaning Minnies".So there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you just have to be Scottish???? A word of warning, don't let Aitken find out wink.gif

------------------

"What about those other a**holes? Mark IV? jdmorose? OldGimpyStumpoFile? Yak2? PatBoone? Gerbilboy?"