Stunning new splash screen from professional illustrator

Guest Big Time Software

HEY! David, where did you get the Alpha version of CMBO's splash screen? That was not supposed to have been seen outside of our small gamer focus group. OK, so now the cat is out of the bag, a little backround:

We footed the bill for a $5,000 focus group about the game's overall presentation. A dozen gamers, from Grogs to the casual gamer, participated in various questions about different aspects of the then Alpha CM. This splash screen was shown as part of that study and comments were requested.

A surprsingly large percentage of the gamers participating found this shot to be "totally stupid". There was some space to explain the reaction to the splash screen, and here are some of the comments as to why it "sucked ass":

1. "The star on the side of the tank is ALL wrong. It is supposed to be a solid filled white star."

2. "The color of the German uniform is not gray enough."

3. "What's up with the that tank!?! The velocity of any tank round is far too great to have five in flight at the same time!"

4. "It is impossible to safely fire the MP40 using the left hand only. He should be firing using the right hand and the left hand should be gripping the magazine. Also, it looks more like a M3 Grease gun than an MP40."

5. "I liked the blood and the severed head. Why can't this be in the game?"

So after much debate we decided to put this one on the shelf and got another artist to do up the splash screen. My little 10 year old cousin, who did this masterpiece, was crushed. But hey, if he can't handle criticism... srew 'em smile.gif

Steve

P.S. Thanks David biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 09-12-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

We footed the bill for a $5,000 focus group<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$5,000!!!! eek.gif

Geez guys, I did a course on running a focus group a few years ago, and am prepared to offer my services for less than that!

Just agree to fund my flight to the USA and make an offer, and I'll do anything, anything!!!

oh, is it alright if I bring the family?

oh, and a room in a 5 star hotel would be nice!

oh, can you throw in a copy of CM2 as well?

oh, and payment in $US!

Mace wink.gif

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Brilliant, simply brilliant!

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Why do you think it's a tank? It is clearly a bunker with five GI's dug into fox holes in the front, with a knocked out Bofars behind it in the distance. I have seen many pictures of just this type of defense in Normandy.

You can find a similar photographic source in: 'The Fubar Conundrum' published in 1968 by the Disney press that will back this up. wink.gif

Marcus

smile.gif

Guest Lord General MB

BTS:

What! shelf It! It's a masterpeice! I actually

DLed it and loaded it in. LOOKS AWSOME! (REALY)

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Very Funny

I thought Steve's reply was hiliarius, he now sounds just like us.

I know, because I must admit I have done perhaps more than my fair share of complaining around here too.

When I saw Steve's post I laughed my self silly because I guess some of us here are indeed that "nit picky" about militarily historical WWII details.

I enjoy this game more and more every day I play it.

Thanks to Steve and Charles

smile.gif

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

You could easily sell that pic to Hasbro for their upcoming release of Squad Leader

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh heh...

What's going on with Hasbro anyway? It seems like all I hear about SL now is how you'll receive letters from home... CRAP!!!

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast