Just out of interest what sort of ages are people in this forum

Guest kip anderson

Hi,

I am 42 and have been waiting for a wargame of CM's standard ever since the first Squad Leader over twenty years back.

All the best,

Kip.

------------------

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdmorse:

...FIRST wargame was Avalon Hill's D-Day <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D-Day was my first game as well... that and Stalingrad.... those with the brutal 1:1 tables (5 or 6 was AE and 1 was DE).

I'm 37.

Squad Leader, 3rd Reich, and ASL are my all-time favorites. I like Close Combat on the PC but from the looks of it CM will eventually "smoke" CC.

FWIW

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kip anderson:

Hi,

I am 42 and have been waiting for a wargame of CM's standard ever since the first Squad Leader over twenty years back.

All the best,

Kip.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am 42 with a MS in Geochemistry. My first wargame was AH's Blitzkrieg. I then graduated to Squad Leader and things haven't been the same since wink.gif

Allan

25 here, or at least I will be by the end of the month, and feeling every minute of it. I want to be 20 again, I had so much fun...

(Note, this is in a civilised country where drinking at 20 is allowed! (Deliberate taunt at Americans here...))

Manic Moran

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

35 here!

I think my first 'wargame' was Ambush, a solitaire squadlevel boardgame. It was tacky, but man, did I have fun!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Ambush" was my first computer game. Ah yes, the old Apple II. There were some good wargames for that platform.

Allan

Guest Offwhite

Ha ha - I loved Ambush (paper version) right up until I was sent to paragraph 898:

An ugly dragon, with blood dripping from his teeth, enters the map from the north in hex T1. He is hungry for meat and wants your squad for his next meal. Your men draw his attention with rifle fire. Then Sarge yells, "No free lunch today, slimeball!" as he polishes him off with a bazooka round between the eyes.

Then they've got the Martians, the Flaubert novel, etc... I think this tops my list of things I hope I don't see in CM!

BTW, I'm 25 and AH's D-Day was my first - and in some ways, still my favorite.

28 here. Big military history buff, WW II being one of my

favorite periods, ancient and medieval warfare being some others

I am fond of. I like to collect and shoot military weapons

(as you may have gathered wink.gif). And playing CM for me is like

watching those weapons that I enjoy shooting come to life in a real

battle. That's a really neat feeling. smile.gif Also, it helps me

appreciate more what the soldiers on the ground are going up

against. wink.gif In case you have wondered, yes, an MG42 *is* a terrifying

weapon if it's being fired at you (and it's even kind of scary

if it isn't smile.gif). I feel sorry for anyone caught in the open

when one of those beasts comes to life. smile.gif

I have played several wargames before. Axis and Allies, Shogun,

Fortress America, Panzer General, Tactics II, Wargame Construction Set,

Pacific War, Tigers on the Prowl, Action Stations, Risk, etc. I'm

looking forward to Combat Mission like few games before, can't

wait to play it. smile.gif We really owe Steve and Charles for making

the game of our dreams with CM. It's going to be fun to watch all

the glowing reviews CM gets in the gaming press. smile.gif And how well

earned those great reviews will be!

Guest Seimerst

Hmmm, let's see.... if dirt is "x" old then I am "X-me" old. OR count all my fingers and toes three times minus ten fingers, yes, that's easier.....50 I believe.

36. Started playing AH/SPI wargames at age 10 or so. In many ways, CM is the computer game I have been waiting for since I first laid eyes on a personal computer back in 1979 or so.

Bravissimo, S&C.

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

cool.gif <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

Ha ha - I loved Ambush (paper version) right up until I was sent to paragraph 898:

An ugly dragon, with blood dripping from his teeth, enters the map from the north in hex T1. He is hungry for meat and wants your squad for his next meal. Your men draw his attention with rifle fire. Then Sarge yells, "No free lunch today, slimeball!" as he polishes him off with a bazooka round between the eyes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I never! I just checked and thats Exactly what the paragraph says! Tsk. go figure. Needless to say I never had the pleasure of encountering that particular dragon.

Last month I got so bored with waiting for CM to come, I even started playing Ambush again. It just didn't feel the same anymore. Ah well. Thanks, Offwhite, for that bit of nostalgia. wink.gif

------------------

Juju