Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Attention Mac users

The download links in your purchase history no longer provide links to download the Mac versions. Here is a link that includes all CM2 Mac versions:

https://battlefront.sharefile.com/public/share/web-s9b2f9f93b18a4142b2ccdf1279529412

Reinstalling is the same as it has always been. And the Battlefront license keys in your account will activate them, as before.

If you run into any problems please reach out to the Support Team by emailing us at support@slitherine.co.uk

For those of us invested in the entire CM2 game lineup on Mac over the past decade what do we know about CM3?

Some will be looking to upgrade their computers and wondering if there is any future for MacOS support.  Are there any official (or unofficial open source) statements?

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I'm not a Mac person, but are there not Windows emulators that could be run to allow playing CM if Mac support is not available in the future?

There is too much impact on 3D performance. On Parallels on an Intel Mac I can answer some simpler PBEM moves, but I wouldn't play larger battles.

24 minutes ago, Jon O said:

I use Macs & have every CM title & module except Cold War. If I now want to buy Cold War am I SOL? 

You'll probably only have to wait a few days. Right now I don't think you can acquire the required BFC serial number.

6 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I'm not a Mac person, but are there not Windows emulators that could be run to allow playing CM if Mac support is not available in the future?

Even on my one year old M2 MacBook Pro, using Parallels Desktop (emulator) CM2 titles are painfully slow and ugly. It "CAN" be done but it's not enjoyable. I've tried when we were troubleshooting things in Beta and even small scenarios are tough. And my M2 is a screamer. Incidentally, EVERYTHING else I run in Parallels works great. Now for CM3 with Unity, that may be another story and it may work much better, if that's the only option.

Dave

32 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Yeah, you really want a late war Intel Mac with the Radeon dedicated GPU to run CMx2 in Parallels.

I had hoped with the 19 graphics processors mine has that it would be ok, but,....  no.

Used to have a 17" MBP with a GPU but that one is long gone. On the Mac side, this thing handles anything I can throw at it and says give me more.

Dave

13 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Thanks for all the back and forth but I’m not looking to rehash 10 years of “can’t you just use an emulator” debate. That’s not my question.

Some of us have something like $700+ invested in a decade of Battlefront MacOS software and are simply looking for clarity from Slitherine.

Is MacOS development dead or not?

3 hours ago, Col Rosenberger said:

Thanks for all the back and forth but I’m not looking to rehash 10 years of “can’t you just use an emulator” debate. That’s not my question.

Some of us have something like $700+ invested in a decade of Battlefront MacOS software and are simply looking for clarity from Slitherine.

Is MacOS development dead or not?

Read this from Steve

On 8/29/2024 at 9:41 PM, Ultradave said:

Even on my one year old M2 MacBook Pro, using Parallels Desktop (emulator) CM2 titles are painfully slow and ugly. It "CAN" be done but it's not enjoyable. I've tried when we were troubleshooting things in Beta and even small scenarios are tough. And my M2 is a screamer. Incidentally, EVERYTHING else I run in Parallels works great. Now for CM3 with Unity, that may be another story and it may work much better, if that's the only option.

Dave

Have you tried Code Weaver ? I run few Windows title such as Strategic Command with it on my MacBook Pro M3 and it runs great. Though admittedly not 3D task intensive.

https://www.codeweavers.com/?id=ad&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAqqVsgtKARFNrZ_kz-x-ere7osrBW&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscDW_b-diAMVqZpoCR0HqQ-ZEAAYASAAEgLGmvD_BwE

2 hours ago, Albert DuBalay said:

Have you tried Code Weaver ? I run few Windows title such as Strategic Command with it on my MacBook Pro M3 and it runs great. Though admittedly not 3D task intensive.

https://www.codeweavers.com/?id=ad&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAqqVsgtKARFNrZ_kz-x-ere7osrBW&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscDW_b-diAMVqZpoCR0HqQ-ZEAAYASAAEgLGmvD_BwE

That's a form of Wine. I use Wine to run TacOps4 on my Mac.

CMx2 last almost ran on Wine and needed a known patch. I didn't try on the Mac.

17 hours ago, Redwolf said:

That's a form of Wine. I use Wine to run TacOps4 on my Mac.

CMx2 last almost ran on Wine and needed a known patch. I didn't try on the Mac.

Code Weaver is the pay app version of Wine. With a little more power under the hood - it’s available for both Mac and Linux.

8 minutes ago, Albert DuBalay said:

Code Weaver is the pay app version of Wine. With a little more power under the hood - it’s available for both Mac and Linux.

Yeah, but the question is whether they integrated the CMx2 patch.

1 minute ago, Redwolf said:

Yeah, but the question is whether they integrated the CMx2 patch.

Du not know but with the pay app comes support. and also one can download a free trial version that will work fully for a month if I recall. Ample time to make lot of testing prior to go for purchasing - it also comes regularly half price or so when on sales ; just need to wait a bit for the right time.

On 8/30/2024 at 4:33 PM, Albert DuBalay said:

I haven't. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Dave

I posted this on another thread.

As a Mac user, I have bought all my games directly from Battlefront and even have physical CD copies of the some of games and early game manuals. How will future Mac versions of the game be sold ? Directly from Slitherine as a download as I have previously done with a activation key or will it have to be via Steam ?

I am not familiar with Steam for Macs.