Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Black Sea or Shock Force 2?

I've been playing Normandy for a few weeks now and I'd like to get a modern title. Both BS and SF2 are on sale right now, which one do people recommend?

Seems like SF2 has more mod support and certainly more user created campaigns and scenarios. But playing the demo it seems "easy" as the NATO forces are pretty overwhelming against the Syrians. BS seems more balanced, but the lack of mod support makes it seem like people didn't take to it as well. 

They are both great, but very different.

SF2 definitely has more content, but it is more a case of victory being next to no casualties for blue.

Lots of good red on red slugfests though.

BS, on the other hand, is a case of: if you're in LOS you're as good as dead, so shoot and scoot.

With the planned CMBS module dead, I wouldnt recommend the game anymore. It's not a bad game at all, but it gets boring really quickly because there aren't a lot of assets to play with. At least not realistic assets. On the bright side cmbs will import maps from other titles unlike cmsf2.

Cmsf2 does have an enormous amount of user made content (maps, scenarios, campaigns) - it's insane - but gets boring quickly since the "nato" module nations are bare bone, like 6 or 7 vehicles each for the factions. Also there are game breaking bugs like the GILL rocket launcher not being fixed from the day the game launched. 

I haven't played CMSF:2 yet (Planning to get it on the sale) but CMBS is a great game but it really depends on if you want a WW3 scenario with bluefor and redfor having a good chance at each other or one in the middle east with insurgents and the Syrian army with soviet gear (though I heard the Syrians have some Russian weapons and Vehicules in the Marines Module)

I played both but keep coming back to CMSF because there are so many outstanding campaigns and scenarios (and mods).  With what we now know about the RL Ukraine war, CMBS seems less and less relevant.

I've played CMSF2 more than any other CM title to date and what both Vergel and Erwin are saying couldn't be more correct. It is both reasonable and regrettable, but DLC for CMBS will not be happening anytime soon due to the war in Ukraine. The modules in CMSF2 offer massive amounts of good content. If you absolutely want to, you can have blufor v. blufor in CMSF2 which is more balanced than blu v. red, but doctrine/playstyle varies between the NATO aligned countries which offers a lot of diversity.

Edited by Karp_K
typo

You could also consider CM 'Cold war', which is a nice balance between modern and world war 2 style combat. You still get early versions of current tanks and IFV's (M1 Abrams, Bradleys, T72 and T80) as well as older stuff. The two sides are also well balanced without one side stomping on the other every battle. Also a new module is due soon which will increase the amount of content available. Worth considering in my opinion.

I really enjoy both games, but I think CMSF2 would be my choice (while CMBS coming later). I really like the variety and red on red battles in CMSF2 are some of the most fun battles I've had in CMSF2. But think every CM game is worth owning eventually.

9 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

red on red battles in CMSF2 are some of the most fun battles I've had in CMSF2

That's a good point as well.  Check out the xnt "Zawiya Uprising" campaign.  Paper Tiger is also redesigning/updating his xnt "The Road to Dinas" campaign.

There's a saying about making a choice. Imagine I made the choice for you. Would you be more disappointed that I chose one rather than the other? 'Oh. I thought you were going to pick (X).' That means in your heart you really wanted (X). 🙄

Edited by MikeyD

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Imagine I made the choice for you.

That reminds me of recently buying another motorcycle.  I test rode three and bought the one I liked.  The other two were what the salesmen thought I'd like, and they were both good, but they were not 'as good'.  I'm happy with my choice.

As for CMBS vs CMSF2 I would say SF2, but that's just me.

Edited by Vacillator

10 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

I actually bought Cold War

Yeah, good choice.  If only you'd said that was an option 😉

I recently started playing this, my first modern title, with my introduction being a PBEM against one of the experts here 'who trained for exactly this'.  Am I crazy?

1 minute ago, Vacillator said:

Yeah, good choice.  If only you'd said that was an option 😉

I recently started playing this, my first modern title, with my introduction being a PBEM against one of the experts here 'who trained for exactly this'.  Am I crazy?

I never considered it, a good part because it's not got great reviews on Steam. But that's largely due to a small sample size I think.

I played one of the battles last nite and got my *** handed to me, so I think I'll enjoy learning it. I'll have to dive into the US training campaign tonight. Are you crazy? Sometimes the best way to learn something is to jump into the deep end!