Next Big Game (Off Topic)

While I'm guessing the majority in here are grognards and hard core war/strategy gamers, I'm wondering how many of us will be rushing to stores today or tomorrow (depending on locale) to get Diablo 2. I know I will, I preordered the Collector's Edition two months ago.

I'm going to feel a pull between playing time of Diablo 2 and Combat Mission. The force may well be enough to rip me in half...

I picked up Klingon Academy yesterday. You gotta have decent machine to play it though. It recomends a PII-450.

I've got a Celeron-433 w/128MB, 32MB TNT2 Ultra, SBLive! and the thing still hangs and pauses during the missions when new sounds are brought in. With the SBLive! it shouldn't do that. I don't know what the problem is.

The thing is that they've changed alot of the special effects graphics since the demos and my machine is having a hard time dealing with them now.

Boy I wish I had at least a 600 MHz system.

The game itself though has over 90+ minutes of live action footage. That's longer than some movies! eek.gif It has a movie viewer utility so you can go through the 5 CDs and watch all of the movies without first getting to them within the storyline. Bit of a spoiler, but who cares? tongue.gif

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-28-2000).]

I'll probably go out and buy Terminus when it showes up at the local EB (6/30). I want my open ended Space Opera (maybe this is THE ONE rolleyes.gif )!!!!. Terminus will then be placed on the HD and not be played that much for a few months because of CM. I probably wont get Diablo II for a couple of weeks (got to buy food; have to maintain strength to play CM smile.gif). Diablo II will more then likly not be played that much for a couple of months because of CM.

[This message has been edited by MadDog0606 (edited 06-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MadDog0606 (edited 06-28-2000).]

Guest Pillar

I saw Diablo (the original) and I immediately thought... BORING! smile.gif The reason is, that it seems to be nothing more than a mindless hack and slash.

IE. IRL, all you are doing is clicking the mouse. No brain activity here.

Now seeing you guys wanting this game has got me questioning my initial assesment. Is there really some brains to this thing after all?

I certainly will be buying Diablo 2 shortly. However, before I got hooked on CM I had thought Diablo 2 was a "must pre-order" game, now I am content to wait 'til I can comfortably buy the game, no need to rush out for it.

The only other games I'm seriously anticipating are "Reach For The Stars" and "Stars! Supernova". I *hope* at least one of these will be worth the wait! smile.gif

John-SJ

Speedy:

I'm with you on B-17 II.

The original was buggy as hell, but I still played it forever... I still remember sweating as the bombadier, trying to keep the target in the reticle as the flak raged all around me.

For that game I will need a new and expensive system though...

GAFF

Guest Zulu1

I'm waiting for;

B17 - 2 that one should be cool. Air Warrior3 allowed you to crew a buff. It was lots of fun as a gunner.

Harpoon 4

Silent Hunter 2/Destroyer Command - should be real cool can n' mouse game online of sub vs. DE.

Guest MantaRay

Well besides Diablo 2, which I will get tomorrow, I am waiting for WWIIONLINE (of which I am a beta tester) and A WWII mod for half life called Day of Defeat.

Also, in August, Swat 3 will finally have Multiplayer, Team Fortress 2 will b out Christmas, and B17 2 looks interesting.

A very good year for games IMO.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Okay, I have to add Harpoon 4 to my "Games I'm Waiting For" list. But like many, I've been waiting for Diablo 2 for quite some time.

I like many types of games, some more brain-power oriented, some just fun hack 'n slash.

The game that has gotten most of my multi-player time lately is Heroes 3: SOD. That, I can play until the cows come home ( and promptly get used for cover in Normandy battles making the cows wish they stayed wherever they were before they came home ).

Thanks for the responses.

I'm very puzzled by the diablo2 frenzy goin on. Sure i'm gonna get the game asap and it will be fun. but i was a stress tester, and it's no big deal. It's pretty much just more diablo. Sure diablo is fun, but come on. It's not THIS big of a deal that ppl are gettin all this collectors edition crap. It's just a game for ppl who can't find anythign else to do. It trades slightly boring gameplay for long replayability. I still can see after a few months not even thinking about lookin at the game again. I guess it's cuz i can't stay excited by a game with so little depth. Little depth and shiny objects just don't attract me. =\ I think combat mission and Deus Ex are the only good games to have come out recently. Diablo2 won't count for much, cuz it isn't much. It's gonna be a painful wait for Halo, TF2, Tribes2, Hitman etc.

-KOP

I've heard mixed comments about Diablo II from playtesters.

From what I have been reading on newsgroups and messageboards, Diablo II is limited to 640x480 resolution, and a lot of people (playtesters included) are not all thrilled about the graphics - although they enjoy the gameplay.

In my opinion, Diablo II would become too repetative too quickly, thus becoming boring. I enjoyed DiabloI but I don't think I'm going to buy Diablo II.

Hum, just finished Vamprire, pretty nice, waiting for Deus Ex, and will give Diablo 2 and Icewind Dale a pass. B17FF2 looks cool but I am keeping my EAW, so is my Flanker and Flanker2. Still don't have the hd space to install Shogun.

After this forum, I think my next big game will be CM Gold Demo 1.02, or head back to the WW2 history books...

Griffin on vac

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

I will definitely be buying B-17 2 this fall. I can not wait for the online re-creation of great bombing missions. I will be waiting to see how the others pan out.

------------------

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.