What battles were left out?

2 hours ago, BornGinger said:

It seems that either no one knows or no one cares. The Final Blitz module doesn't seem very popular among the clientele here.

Perhaps some people are confuddled by your list. "Veritable" is very much "in" rather than "out". As are, "Varsity", "Remagen" and "Cologne", unless my 400 year old noddle is playing tricks on me.

Its a strange list.  Some of the battles listed are explicitly included, some listed are really parts of larger battles/operations, some are dead links in wiki, and at least 1 or 2 are air battles.  Not a great deal of due diligence might be why no one cares.

edit:  Several of them don't really translate to a good CM battle.  There were Allies meeting a little resistance and then pulling back and shelling a town into rubble.  A few are really operations that were more about organizational changes to support other units.

Edited by Thewood1

5 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Its a strange list.  Some of the battles listed are explicitly included, some listed are really parts of larger battles/operations, some are dead links in wiki, and at least 1 or 2 are air battles.  Not a great deal of due diligence might be why no one cares.

edit:  Several of them don't really translate to a good CM battle.  There were Allies meeting a little resistance and then pulling back and shelling a town into rubble.  A few are really operations that were more about organizational changes to support other units.

Not a strange list you must hate history. No dead links only wiki doesn't have a page for it because lack of info. They all translate to good battles. If you paid attention Paderborn is one of many on the list that can be made

2 hours ago, user1000 said:

If you paid attention ...

... you'll know that people have been talking about creating scenarios/campaigns based on Paderborn at least as far back as 2015. So why don't you either make something yourself, or at least offer your services to one of designers via a PM

So where did the list come from then?  There is at least one air battle.  How does CM model that?  And at two of the operations were a large scale across large fronts with separate battles from those operations on the list also.  One of the operations you listed was a broad reorganization of recon units and wasn't a even a battle by itself.

I'm still not sure why you would link to empty wiki pages to make your case.  Couldn't you have linked to something that laid it out?

On 4/11/2024 at 3:59 PM, BornGinger said:

The Final Blitz module doesn't seem very popular among the clientele here.

I like it so much that I'm playing the same battle (Pershing versus Tiger) as a PBEM against a second opponent (it's okay he knows and he suggested it).  But of course that's a fictional battle, perhaps more balanced than some of the historical ones.  And that might be my only reservation about Final Blitzkrieg, a lot of what it does (and could) cover is not likely to be well-balanced as the Germans were in a bad way by then.

As for the list, it is perhaps the result of a search on Wiki?  I don't really have any issues with that, and there are some 'new' things there that could be done in CM.

Edited by Vacillator

Now that we have British forces let's not forget that going back to the original CMFB timeframe to cover some of the British actions during the Battle of the Bulge is also a possibility. Bure is surely worth making into a scenario (unless someone already has and I've missed it).

56 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Is this going anywhere, folks? Or has gotten to the point that it should be locked up?

I think this thread still has the potential to go somewhere. Provided that everyone can remember to avoid further personal attacks and insults. I think there is value in having a thread dedicated to discussing what we'd like some of the scenario designers out there to tackle. Give it one more chance.

2 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat said:

Sure but will they come here for that based on this thread title?

I don't know. Perhaps not. My reading of "what battles were left out" was "what battles that have not already been covered can be covered now that Downfall has provided more resources". But I don't know how other people will read it.

I do think the Battle of Bure is worth covering if any scenario designers are up to it. The British had a relatively small part to play in the Battle of the Bulge. But some of the fighting they were involved in, such as Bure, was pretty interesting. It doesn't strictly speaking fall into the Downfall timeframe. But it does fall into the wider CMFB timeframe, and requires assets that only became available in CMFB with the addition of the Downfall module. Here's The Operations Room's video on the battle: