What is the best way to use a 2IC section tactically?  Should they be used as security for your Company Commander or as a commander for moral purposes. 

For that matter, does a company commander increase the moral of the company when they are nearby?  How nearby should a leader be for the effects to be felt?

Thanks,

Probus

Thy can be useful doing things like tending to wounded soldiers/ammo scavenging, replacing a wiped-out higher HQ, or any other duties like relaying spotting information from squads/teams and higher HQ (like a "runner"). That last use is helpful for calling in artillery, when the radio unit doesn't have LoS and you don't want to risk them in an exposed position. Security uses also are another slot you can drop them in, and you could do some extra-self-imposed rules, like moving them near prisoners to simulate moving them to rear-areas, etc.

I'm always checking the visibility icons to see what the "range" is in the UI. The benefits of any HQ will be greatly lessened when out of any given C2 contact range.

Edited by benpark

Ammo distribution would fall under the 2IC role for most nationalities represented in CM. That would hew to the "real".

There isn't a TOE for things like Signals units in CM, so some other solutions for runners would fall under the "game" classification.

19 hours ago, Probus said:

What is the best way to use a 2IC section tactically?  Should they be used as security for your Company Commander or as a commander for moral purposes. 

For that matter, does a company commander increase the moral of the company when they are nearby?  How nearby should a leader be for the effects to be felt?

Over the years I've used the 2IC (XO team) most of the ways benpark described above and sometimes still do. 

After reading AARs on how units fight at the US NTC I have attempted to modify my use of the XO team somewhat.  I set up a Tactical Operations Center (TOC) staffed by the battalion XO.  Other XOs, especially from different battalions, and liaisons from attached units that are not in the vertical chain of command are also placed in this TOC.  In game mechanics this facilitates the horizontal sharing of information between units.  Also, If I have multiple FOs, I may place one at the TOC to handle fires on TRPs (artillery liaison).  The CO is generally with the Forward Command Post attempting to influence the battle at a decisive point and keeping subordinate units in C2. 

Various house rules can also be used to make game play more realistic.  So having a company and/or a battalion commander in voice C2 of a platoon fighting a decisive/critical action has a positive effect.  This also motivates the player to bring the Bn. CO forward, as in most real life circumstances, and not hide him in the setup zone. Of course this also risks the company and/or a battalion commander getting KIA which will negatively effect the actual game mechanics in addition to the house rules.

Lots of interesting tactical situations can be experimented with using the C2 system, scenario editor and house rules.           

57 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Over the years I've used the 2IC (XO team) most of the ways benpark described above and sometimes still do. 

After reading AARs on how units fight at the US NTC I have attempted to modify my use of the XO team somewhat.  I set up a Tactical Operations Center (TOC) staffed by the battalion XO.  Other XOs, especially from different battalions, and liaisons from attached units that are not in the vertical chain of command are also placed in this TOC.  In game mechanics this facilitates the horizontal sharing of information between units.  Also, If I have multiple FOs, I may place one at the TOC to handle fires on TRPs (artillery liaison).  The CO is generally with the Forward Command Post attempting to influence the battle at a decisive point and keeping subordinate units in C2. 

Various house rules can also be used to make game play more realistic.  So having a company and/or a battalion commander in voice C2 of a platoon fighting a decisive/critical action has a positive effect.  This also motivates the player to bring the Bn. CO forward, as in most real life circumstances, and not hide him in the setup zone. Of course this also risks the company and/or a battalion commander getting KIA which will negatively effect the actual game mechanics in addition to the house rules.

Lots of interesting tactical situations can be experimented with using the C2 system, scenario editor and house rules.           

For anyone who hasn't played this scenario I can't recommend it enough.  Freakin masterwork on how to manipulate the TAC AI and scenario parameters.

New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center - CM Black Sea Maps and Mods - Battlefront.com Community