Just in case you have a bad HD

Hello everyone,

You are going to tell me why come this discussion thread in CM games?

Well, I'll tell you why, when you have a faulty hard drive, you may not always pay much attention to it, most old drives need to be kept for many years, you may realize that not only are you getting older, but your discs too, and if you do sport to keep in shape you must do the same with your equipment, or at least have a diagnostic of its health, if you do not do it, well your equipment ends up in the hospital or worse.

You will also tell me that "oh no problem", I now use the latest generation of disk for all my CMs and therefore I am "armored" or even "it only happens to others" and make no mistake.

You are not safe from a crash computer and your SSD hard drive is not invincible either, so no need to play Rambo with it, it must be preserved.

Therefore, having recently suffered an incident with my dear and loving hard drive that I had loved for many years made me feel that it was old and lacking in resources. he let me down.

Thank you for reading the short message that I wanted to send you.
Friendly

JM 

Edited by JM Stuff

24 minutes ago, PIATpunk said:

eek!  I'd think twice before visiting a site with 'warez' in it!

Yes bad example indeed my version was not from warez I am sorry for the bad link !

I will delete it ! sorry again for this mistake !

Edited by JM Stuff

As said elsewhere JM, it's sad news about your loss (of HD). As you know I had a similar experience, but for sure my HD did not have all of the modding work that yours did.

If you can revive your friend somehow that would be great.  If not, obviously you will have to repeat the work 😉.

3 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

As said elsewhere JM, it's sad news about your loss (of HD). As you know I had a similar experience, but for sure my HD did not have all of the modding work that yours did.

If you can revive your friend somehow that would be great.  If not, obviously you will have to repeat the work 😉.

18 minutes ago, PIATpunk said:

eek!  I'd think twice before visiting a site with 'warez' in it!

Thanks you very much, to avoid some eventual problems with the link to download I will delete the adress above, and  draw a line under my misadventure. 

I was only thinking to help some of us, sorry for this incovenient.

For any macos users, Time Machine is an excellent tool.

Has saved me numerous times from bad/broken installs of many things.

"Oh, there's a new update of X."
Run Time Machine to backup.
Install update X.
"WTF? Things are totally broken."
Time Machine restore back to just before the install of the rogue update, and all is well.

I've used it to back out a CM install also -- I forget which patch misbehaved on my machine for CMRT, but having a 'Undo' button is awesome.

8 hours ago, herr_oberst said:

For any macos users, Time Machine is an excellent tool.

This is the way.

Time machine and a 1TB portable backup drive ($89 a couple years ago), about the size of a cigarette pack but thinner

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

Well, guys, nice to read, exist happy guys, with happy macos, with happy Time Machine, or whatever... hope very much that Windows users will be also happy to have this interresting system and make also happy guys soon working on last cry with ssd HD, and not archeology HD almost DOS prehistoric system,  like me !

Thanks to yours interresting comments, this let me think slowly to Mac Win PC or Linux ?

Edited by JM Stuff

On 1/22/2024 at 7:32 AM, JM Stuff said:

Well, guys, nice to read, exist happy guys, with happy macos, with happy Time Machine, or whatever... hope very much that Windows users will be also happy to have this interresting system and make also happy guys soon working on last cry with ssd HD, and not archeology HD almost DOS prehistoric system,  like me !

Thanks to yours interresting comments, this let me think slowly to Mac Win PC or Linux ?

If you really want to blow your mind, go visit https://www.tonymacx86.com... build a macos compatible machine from parts at a fraction of the price. (outta change my sig... I gave up on the hackintosh as they're called (a purpose bought case, power supply, motherboard, ram, cpu, ssd, and video card) that runs macos. VERY fiddly work if you want to keep up with OS updates. Enough to make me give it up after 3 years. Given the new change to Apple chips, I haven't paid attention. But at the time, it was 1/3-1/2 the price of a comparable Apple machine. All depends on where you want to spend your time. I'd rather play, so it's a for-reals Apple machine now.

But there's still the lure of taking my son's XBox case and sticking a macos machine inside it for fun...

Edited by herr_oberst

4 hours ago, herr_oberst said:

If you really want to blow your mind, go visit https://www.tonymacx86.com... build a macos compatible machine from parts at a fraction of the price. (outta change my sig... I gave up on the hackintosh as they're called (a purpose bought case, power supply, motherboard, ram, cpu, ssd, and video card) that runs macos. VERY fiddly work if you want to keep up with OS updates. Enough to make me give it up after 3 years. Given the new change to Apple chips, I haven't paid attention. But at the time, it was 1/3-1/2 the price of a comparable Apple machine. All depends on where you want to spend your time. I'd rather play, so it's a for-reals Apple machine now.

But there's still the lure of taking my son's XBox case and sticking a macos machine inside it for fun...

oh thanks you for the link really appreciated 
Probably i will make the big step and joint the macos users, first check in details and talk with my General, but I see this is worth to make some change in the life.

Ha ha ha I can already see the son shunning the father and protect his own box!!

If you do go the MacOS route, I would recommend spending a bit extra to get a fairly high end one - upgrade the number of processor cores and graphics cores. Yes, they are initially expensive, however, not so much if you compare specs to a similarly capable PC, and the bigger factor is that it will last. My last two have lasted 7 and 8 years respectively, and STILL were capable machines that weren't being strained by any software. The only reason I now have 6 month old M2 MacBook Pro instead of my older Intel based i5 MacBook pro is that my dog jumped up on me and damaged both screen and keyboard. Still got a $500 trade-in on it and put that money towards higher specs.

If you have any specific Mac questions there are a handful of us here and I'm sure any of us would be glad to answer. 

One thing to keep in mind, is that while Mac's in general are not as well supported for gaming (although there is plenty available), you can fix that by installing Parallels Desktop. I have found that it solves that problem. When running Windows in Parallels, you can't tell you aren't sitting at a PC. And the only game that DOESN'T work well in Parallels is CM. CM graphics do not work well. It's sort of useable in a very unsatisfying way. Zooming and panning are fine. Redraw, and very reduced graphics at a distance are awful. So if PBEM++ and tournaments are very important to you, that may factor in your decision. Technically you CAN do it. It's just very ugly to look at 🙂

So good points and bad points. Say what you will about Apple, but I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone. They work seemlessly together and share data across all three - pictures, calendar, bookmarks, notes, folder access. I don't want to start the culture wars, just trying to point out a few things. The PBEM++ con for some.

Dave

20 hours ago, Ultradave said:

One thing to keep in mind, is that while Mac's in general are not as well supported for gaming (although there is plenty available), you can fix that by installing Parallels Desktop. I have found that it solves that problem. When running Windows in Parallels, you can't tell you aren't sitting at a PC. And the only game that DOESN'T work well in Parallels is CM. CM graphics do not work well. It's sort of useable in a very unsatisfying way. Zooming and panning are fine. Redraw, and very reduced graphics at a distance are awful. So if PBEM++ and tournaments are very important to you, that may factor in your decision. Technically you CAN do it. It's just very ugly to look at 🙂

CMCW works just fine for me in Parallels under Win 10. But I have an Intel Mac with dedicated AMD graphics chip.

Edited by Redwolf

3 hours ago, Redwolf said:

CMCW works just fine for me in Parallels under Win 10. But I have an Intel Mac with dedicated AMD graphics chip.

That would be the reason (the dedicated GPU). Parallels hasn't caught up with the M2 graphics capabilities and is doing some kind of emulation rather than directly using it. My M2 has 12 CPU cores and 19 graphics cores, so technically there is a separate graphics capability, but that's not how Parallels sees it. Maybe next year?

In any case, I'm fine with not having PBEM++ capability, and just doing PBEM the "old" Dropbox way. CM Helper helps but that's out of date, so I don't think CW is an option with it.

Dave