Can anyone good with computers help an idiot old man

4 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Anything wireless sucks. Use an Ethernet cable.

I used wireless for 10 years when I only had a laptop and was under the impression my Internet connection was really good at around 2MB on a good day. A couple of months ago I bought a desktop and installed an ethernet cable, (had to run it across some 20m) and I'm on 10MB pretty constantly. 

Ethernet cables can be up to 300 feet before needing a repeater.  Amazon has some very good ones in 100 foot length (get more than you think you need, hiding the excess is normally fairly easy but not having enough is always a pain).

I ran my cables under through an airduct down to the basement (a hole just big enough to push a cable through the side) then up through another duct so the cable is not laying on the floor.  I also used a cheap switch ($20 or so) to allow 4 devices to hook up to the switch.

At my mother's that was not an option so I used ethernet over coax since she had coax outlets near where she wanted the PC and the other one was where the cable box is.  The power line connectors also work well most of the time but when they don't work they are garbage (something to do with how the house wiring is done, I have had them work really well and really badly on different days - then switched to the coax version that works great all the time and is much faster, as fast as my internet signal)

Here is a link to the COAX connectors:   https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-ScreenBeam-Network-Adapter-Ethernet/dp/B08ML1TSXC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=O6Z8M9ZH9M9G&keywords=ScreenBeam%2BBonded%2BMoCA%2B2.5%2BNetwork%2BAdapter%2Bfor%2BHighest%2BSpeed%2BInternet%2C%2BEthernet%2BOver%2BCoax%2B-%2BStarter%2BKit&qid=1683161563&s=electronics&sprefix=screenbeam%2Bbonded%2Bmoca%2B2.5%2Bnetwork%2Badapter%2Bfor%2Bhighest%2Bspeed%2Binternet%2C%2Bethernet%2Bover%2Bcoax%2B-%2Bstarter%2Bkit%2Celectronics%2C66&sr=1-1&th=1

On 5/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, Dynaman216 said:

Ethernet cables can be up to 300 feet before needing a repeater.  Amazon has some very good ones in 100 foot length (get more than you think you need, hiding the excess is normally fairly easy but not having enough is always a pain).

I ran my cables under through an airduct down to the basement (a hole just big enough to push a cable through the side) then up through another duct so the cable is not laying on the floor.  I also used a cheap switch ($20 or so) to allow 4 devices to hook up to the switch.

At my mother's that was not an option so I used ethernet over coax since she had coax outlets near where she wanted the PC and the other one was where the cable box is.  The power line connectors also work well most of the time but when they don't work they are garbage (something to do with how the house wiring is done, I have had them work really well and really badly on different days - then switched to the coax version that works great all the time and is much faster, as fast as my internet signal)

Here is a link to the COAX connectors:   https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-ScreenBeam-Network-Adapter-Ethernet/dp/B08ML1TSXC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=O6Z8M9ZH9M9G&keywords=ScreenBeam%2BBonded%2BMoCA%2B2.5%2BNetwork%2BAdapter%2Bfor%2BHighest%2BSpeed%2BInternet%2C%2BEthernet%2BOver%2BCoax%2B-%2BStarter%2BKit&qid=1683161563&s=electronics&sprefix=screenbeam%2Bbonded%2Bmoca%2B2.5%2Bnetwork%2Badapter%2Bfor%2Bhighest%2Bspeed%2Binternet%2C%2Bethernet%2Bover%2Bcoax%2B-%2Bstarter%2Bkit%2Celectronics%2C66&sr=1-1&th=1

dude holy **** 160????  is that how much im gonna need to do this?!?!?!  I thought 40 dollars tops?!  bro Im pooooor!! =(

Do I NEED this adapter??  I thought a cable from the router downstairs..?

PS thanks for answering

Edited by Sublime

Can anyone else please stop me from dying of despair and tell me theres some 40 dollarish tops option for this ? cuz that dudes link scared the **** outta me lol

as in can I JUST buy a cable and plug in into the router or do I need this goddamn adaptor I cant afford

Edited by Sublime

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

Can anyone else please stop me from dying of despair and tell me theres some 40 dollarish tops option for this ? cuz that dudes link scared the **** outta me lol

as in can I JUST buy a cable and plug in into the router or do I need this goddamn adaptor I cant afford

You told us nothing about your computer, so we can't really help.

You only need that adapter if you have coax cabling in the walls.

I didnt realize the comp  mattered at all, if I have a standard US comcast type router that controls the cable and internet for the whole house would I just need an ethernet adapter or what?  And what do you need to know about the comp then? ask and Ill find out?

Also, what do u mean couldnt help? I literally thanked and upvoted every comment for the help I received. I just want to know if I need just ethernet cable or the adapter too

Edited by Sublime

Forget about the Coax adapter if you are willing to put an Ethernet cable from the computer to the router. It was just a distracting post, unless you happen to have coax in the walls (rare).

A good first thing to post about your computer is whether you have an Ethernet port already. We don't even know whether it is a desktop or a laptop, that makes it a little thin on the forensics we work off.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 6:27 PM, Redwolf said:

Forget about the Coax adapter if you are willing to put an Ethernet cable from the computer to the router. It was just a distracting post, unless you happen to have coax in the walls (rare).

A good first thing to post about your computer is whether you have an Ethernet port already. We don't even know whether it is a desktop or a laptop, that makes it a little thin on the forensics we work off.

desktop gaming rig I got with pandemic $$$

You might be too far from your wireless router (I think from the post the router is downstairs, computer upstairs?). If so a wireless repeater you can get from your cable company (or whoever is your internet provider) should do the trick. Our router is in the sunroom because that's where the cable (Verizon FIOS) comes through the wall from outside and our TV is there. In my home office, upstairs at the back of the house, we put in a wireless extension router and it's great. Super reception because I'm basically sitting next t it and it also covers the back yard. I can't remember how much it cost but I'm thinking about $70? It's been a few years. Without the second router reception in my office was off and on.

One other thing that might help is if it's a dual band router ("regular" and 5G), connect to the regular and not the 5G. 5G is supposedly faster, however "regular" has a little better range. Both may be faster than your computer's wifi input anyway - I don't notice any difference at all. 

A couple of ideas for you. 

Dave