Advancing Behind Armor

Probus

Vehicles will block small arms fire. In the various titles I generally want infantry to keep some distance from the armor. 1) If the infantry are leading they might get the drop on enemies with relatively short ranged AT rockets. 2) If the armored vehicle gets hit and blows up* the infantry doesn't get suppressed and killed.

H

*This is even more important with the modern titles and BMP3s. I am convinced that the BMP3 remains the best VBIED in the game. 

4 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

It would be nice to see some sort of coherency between infantry and armor when it came to advancing together. I've seen plenty of videos of infantry using a tank to cover them from small arms.

Give them a mount order and they follow the armor. Infantry Quick, Armor Slow they advance at a similar speed. The latter is good if you don't have the mount order.

Edited by chuckdyke

On 3/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, Halmbarte said:

Vehicles will block small arms fire. In the various titles I generally want infantry to keep some distance from the armor. 1) If the infantry are leading they might get the drop on enemies with relatively short ranged AT rockets. 2) If the armored vehicle gets hit and blows up* the infantry doesn't get suppressed and killed.

H

*This is even more important with the modern titles and BMP3s. I am convinced that the BMP3 remains the best VBIED in the game. 

+1, 

I have a bunch of save file on my disk, all feature the BMP-3’s ammo cook off obliterate the infantry squad in the adjacent grid.

They are also dangerous to other AFVs nearby.

I remember there was a game I fired two Stugna-P in one turn, and that caused four BMP-3’s destruction. 😄

3 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

+1, 

I have a bunch of save file on my disk, all feature the BMP-3’s ammo cook off obliterate the infantry squad in the adjacent grid.

They are also dangerous to other AFVs nearby.

I remember there was a game I fired two Stugna-P in one turn, and that caused four BMP-3’s destruction. 😄

Ah yea, the good old chain cook off. Turns out stuffing a thinly armored vehicle with a **** load of explosives can have consequences. 
H

1 hour ago, Probus said:

DD17A51B-1575-4CCF-A1DF-2286006A04AC.jpeg.c12d0c9b651605b0dc2a290b4ce35136.jpegWhat are those 3 plates that stick out on each side of some Soviet tanks? Are they to protect infantry at all?

I guess infantry can take some protection but the first reason is to protect the tank itself, like a screen on the sides and on the turret.

Just make some research.

Edited by JM Stuff

2 hours ago, Probus said:

DD17A51B-1575-4CCF-A1DF-2286006A04AC.jpeg.c12d0c9b651605b0dc2a290b4ce35136.jpegWhat are those 3 plates that stick out on each side of some Soviet tanks? Are they to protect infantry at all?

It was an attempt at space armour to protect the side of the tank from oblique fire. It may have some small merit, but apparently the plates fell off fairly easily and were a maintenance headache.

Well even though tanks are used as some kind of cover in real life it might not be the brightest idea, especially on the modern battlefields with atgm and handheld rocket launchers around each corner... 

I remember that Otto Carius wrote in "Tiger im Schlamm" that he didn't like it at all that infantry walking behind and close to the tanks. 

And while it might have some cover protection surely, tanks/apc are bullet magnets of all kinds. So the infantry may receive a good portion of that lead too (missed shots, ricochets, (catastrophic) explosions) and might be in a far worse situation than going on their own. 

And yeah the book is from a German ww2 tank ace but it should translate to the modern battlefield with it's more accurate and deadlier ammunition without any issue.