HOW TO MAKE A BIG MOD (TEST DUMMY LOG)

kohlenklau

On 4/5/2023 at 2:55 PM, JM Stuff said:

(....) sometimes  little details are very important ! 

Dear Kohlenklau,
I offer you a challenge: to improve the German helmet. A little flaw in the 3d design could be fixed. A detail that could make the helmet even more realistic. But it won't be easy for me to clearly explain where the problem is, that's why I made a picture to be as clear as possible and convince you that working on it would be a benefit for a better visual aspect:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/e5ru2grcf6eb1oq/Helmet_fix_propostion.jpg/file

The BFC helmet does not frame the face well, in question: the base of the helmet should cover the ear. The point of the angle that the base of the helmet makes to go up from the neck towards the forehead is placed on the ear, but it should be placed in front, ie further forward on the cheek. When the soldier's face is seen from 3/4 face, BF.C's helmet shows an empty space that does not exist in reality. This empty space could be greatly reduced by advancing a little the area of the helmet which draws an angle towards the cheek.

Of course you are under no obligation.

21 hours ago, PEB14 said:

January 1940 if you plan a France 40 Winter mod!

I don't think a scenario at the tactical level has ever been created for the Phoney War. Talk about breaking new ground after 40+ years of commercial wargaming. This hobby lives on and on and on ... 

BTW, a few months ago I was toying with an idea to have the AI go on a patrol among hedgerows. It's pretty cool and really can mess with the player's head if you provide a full set of AI plans 🤔. I don't think the idea has been used in CM. So if you think a random German patrol might be cool, I can walk you through the idea. It will work well on maps where the patrol can move in bounds between cover ahead of the MLR. 

6 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

Dear Kohlenklau,
I offer you a challenge: to improve the German helmet. A little flaw in the 3d design could be fixed. A detail that could make the helmet even more realistic. But it won't be easy for me to clearly explain where the problem is, that's why I made a picture to be as clear as possible and convince you that working on it would be a benefit for a better visual aspect:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/e5ru2grcf6eb1oq/Helmet_fix_propostion.jpg/file

The BFC helmet does not frame the face well, in question: the base of the helmet should cover the ear. The point of the angle that the base of the helmet makes to go up from the neck towards the forehead is placed on the ear, but it should be placed in front, ie further forward on the cheek. When the soldier's face is seen from 3/4 face, BF.C's helmet shows an empty space that does not exist in reality. This empty space could be greatly reduced by advancing a little the area of the helmet which draws an angle towards the cheek.

Of course you are under no obligation.

Oh this is very interresting, never pay attention to this nice details @laurent 22 appreciated your "magnifying eyes glass".

Edited by JM Stuff

9 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

working on it

bon jour bon jour

OK, I try

I have the coffee.

ALLONS!

In Blender I tried some shift of 2.54cm in x direction.

The hair of the soldiers then is visible in the back of the helmet.

So I ALSO tried a slight scaling up of 2.5%.

This did not eliminate the hair.

Helmet now seems too far forward beyond the nose.

I regret I must abandon this effort.

I don't know what is best to do.

I am sorry Monsieur Salou

Hi Monsieur Kohlenklau,

thank you very much for paying attention to this little detail and thank you for trying so quickly.

The problem is not the position of the helmet on the head as for the French helmet or the English helmet. The German helmet is placed correctly on the head, it should not be moved. To solve this problem you have to modify the polygon helmet a little bit in Blender. But you don't have to redo the helmet like you skillfully created the “Italian sunhelmet”. You need to select only the area that I pointed to in the image and move it forward a bit. I said it is a challenge I don't know if it's possible to modify the polygons without breaking everything... A modification that would undoubtedly have consequences on the textures. The BF.c team worked on a good image of the helmet seen from the side. But when they applied this model to a circular-shaped 3D object, part of the surface shrank. It is in comparison the same problem of the procjection of the globe of the earth on a 2D flat map (theorema egregium).

View:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/w0dxto24h3ogwuz/Helemt_fix_proposition_3.jpg/file

48 minutes ago, laurent 22 said:

select only the area that I pointed to in the image and move it forward a bit

I will give it another try.

But let me now see the opportunity to wear the hat of the "marchander et negocier"

Can you please make me a vehicle for CMFI France 1940? Avec votre WACOM? 

Wacom Cintiq 16 Drawing Tablet with Full HD 15.4-Inch Display Screen, 8192 Pressure Sensitive Pro Pen 2 Tilt Recognition, Compatible with Mac OS Windows and All Pens

EDIT: I think there is room to improve the model. This overlay is not perfect but it seems some issue exists. 

ecPyH9H.png

Edited by kohlenklau

LET US TOGETHER MAKE A NEW SCENARIO COME ALIVE!

I want 1 more good juicy scenario for Sunday. I can only turn to "moi"...

I used the ASL Scenario Archive to find an existing idea!

https://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/scenario.php?id=65503

original scenario design by Lionel Colin

Cendriere’s Farm (1940-05-23) After a week of fighting around Stonne, the 3rd Division d'Infanterie Motorisée, a good division from the active army, was nearly worn out. On the German side, its opponents, the 10.Panzer-Division and Infanterie-Regiment "Grossdeutschland", had been removed from the front and fresh units were now on the line. Subjected to a bombardment during the night intermingled with smoke rounds, the defenders of Cendriere’s Farm, on the east side of Stonne, did not see the advance of the first elements of the 16.Infanterie-Division coming at them. At the end of the night the attack began with some Germans already in contact with the farm.

OOB given as:

Attacker: German (Elements of II./Infanterie-Regiment.60, 16.Infanterie-Division)
Defender: French (7ème Compagnie, 2ème Bataillon, 67ème Regiment d'Infanterie, 3ème Division d'Infanterie Motorisée)  

In Google Earth I see what might be the farm. But I don't have any time to create the map. I will instead go "map shopping" WITHIN CMFI. I found an existing scenario map "Butera Station" by a BFC scenario maker that I will start with and make changes. I will gut out everything but the map. I will try to remember to mention this in the designer's notes. I save with my new nomenclature. 

step 1 is to crop it down to what I want. Then add the modtags. Then preview it and see what else needs to be edited to look "maximum France 1940"...

BUTERA STATION as a map is no longer even recognizable. Is there a point to start like I did? I suppose it seems less daunting psychologically to NOT have a big blank canvas looking back at me. I changed elevations. I removed the rail tracks. I changed crops to summer green crops. I am changing arid Italy to France. Walls knocked down. trees changed. fences added. hilarious.

UNITS:
I set date to Sept 43 and quality to poor and purchased my German Infantry. I set the date to March 44 and quality to poor and purchased my French Infantry AND A LITTLE SURPRISE.
I assigned AI groups to the Germans and will write 1 or 2 simple AI plans. Human plays as allied side vs the axis AI. Or play H2H versus your buddy.

I will try and get this done for Sunday. TTYL guys.

Edited by kohlenklau

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

@laurent 22 I will work on the helmet issue on Monday 10 April 23. Now I am in the final moments to prepare the FR40A Bronze Package for release on Sunday 9 April 23. 

For my part, I am finalizing the winter mods for the British vehicles, they are all done but I am still tweaking a few.

I saved the images of the R35, I'll see what can be done. It would be my first real mod, because dusting already created textures with snow is very easy. But I'm tempted to try.

About the German helmet it may not be possible, don't worry about it. If you can't, BF.C will make a better one with CMx3 and Unreal Engine 5. It's really a hard helmet to make. The Russian and American helmets are successful despite the reduced number of polygons they allow themselves. As I told you in a previous post a month ago, BF.C had corrected the very first version of this helmet when CMBN was released, really at first it didn't look like anything. But there remained this small detail on which many other 3D designers and draftsmen crash. I did not dare to ask BF.c to correct this small imperfection, because they had already done a huge job by producing a second version of this helmet. I was the only one to request this change at the beginning of CMBN because no one had seen the problem, and they agreed to redo it. This German helmet and the modern helmet are similar, but the modern does not cover the ear it is correct. In fact it is a design flaw of the German helmet of the WW2: the soldiers complained of hearing less well, and in the event of an explosion nearby the eardrums were more seriously affected due to a bell effect. The Germans made helmets that cleared the ears but gave it a weird look:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/nxq7duqhcv81l0z/casque_échancré.jpg/file

Finally the last DDR helmet from the 50-60s was the right solution:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/b6iftgxhifrwflq/Casque-Allemand-DDR.-M56.jpg/file

On 4/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, kohlenklau said:

"FAKE LOBSTER" continued

Continuing my lecture on the elephant in the room..."fake lobster" I call it.

Fake lobster is when what you see on the screen is not 100% what the game engine thinks it is.

~~~~~~~~~

D. The Armor mods:

2. AXIS

a.PzIV D

One of my first Blender vehicle creations...this is an old mod I first did for CMFI CMAK2 AFRIKA. 

gNi4H2j.png

You purchase the PZIII Ausf N Support Tank in the game and my mod then makes it look like the hull of a Panzer IV with 8 road wheels vs 6 per side. The short barrel 75 modded to the PzIV turret. In the above shot I added the jerry can rack. The 808 turret numbers are upside down but I fixed it later. 

Here it is for France 1940

VtGbvuW.png

OK! Let us score it. So, it DOES have the actual short 75 gun. You can dial ammo supply down and try to reduce the HEAT rounds. I have read various about how much HEAT ammo was available and when. Armor thickness in certain areas is more than actual PzIVD. oh well. Love it or leave it I guess. I give her a good B+. She is part of the SILVER LEVEL MOD PACK.

I thought to go and remove the turret bin. I had an issue where I still saw shadows that it casts down on the engine deck. I am not sure how to stop them. 

b. Bufla

lvVRqpJ.png

I made this for my buddy. It is a US Army M3 GMC as the host mdr. Interestingly there is a connection to France 1940 with the M3 GMC. The gun on the M3 GMC is from the French 75. From WW1 but modified. It is a Blender creation plopping a Flak 88 on the half-track from the Flakvierling. It is not as powerful as it should be. Nothing matches that damn 88. But it was fun to play with. I give her a C+. The Bufla will be in the DIAMOND level mod pack.

c. Pz III Ausf F with 37mm gun

wlb4qlk.png

The host is currently the US Army M5 light tank. The shell is the PzIII Ausf G with short 50mm gun. I did not mod the barrel to be lesser diameter. Trying to have an actual 37mm gun on a German tank. I give it a C+. I did remove the turret bin. I gotta rework the paint scheme. She needs work so she is in the DIAMOND level mod pack. Stall for time!!!

Dude epic! I really like the GMC idea. I know these halftracks were present in one of my projects and I think I just abandoned hope of ever seeing them. I need that diamond pack.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:45 AM, PEB14 said:

DROLE DE GUERRE

The front is sitting still. Apparently nothing happens on both side. But the war is not funny ("drôle") for everyone; on the frontline, the Corps Francs are active in infiltrating the German front line to probe German positions and discover German plans.
Fictional scenario but plausible and based on historical accounts.
Allied probe. Small or Tiny.
Date: TBD (January 1940 if you plan a France 40 Winter mod! 😁)
Attacker: French (platoon-sized infantry force TBD)
Defender: German (outposts of an infantry unit TBD)  

Update!

DROLE DE GUERRE

The front is sitting still. Apparently nothing happens on both side. But the war is not funny ("drôle") for everyone; on the frontline, the Corps Francs are active in infiltrating the German front line to probe German positions and discover German plans. In the Secteur Fortifié de Faulquemont (SFF), a Groupe Franc let by Lieutenant Pierre Buchoud of 146e RIF probes the Warndt Forest in search of the enemy.
Fictional scenario but plausible and based on historical accounts.
Allied probe or Meeting Engagement. Small.
Date: April 19th, 1940
Attacker: French
Defender: German

On 4/7/2023 at 6:00 AM, kevinkin said:

I don't think a scenario at the tactical level has ever been created for the Phoney War. Talk about breaking new ground after 40+ years of commercial wargaming. This hobby lives on and on and on ...

I'm pretty sure you can find a SL/ASL scenario on the "Corps Franc" topic…

On 4/7/2023 at 6:00 AM, kevinkin said:

BTW, a few months ago I was toying with an idea to have the AI go on a patrol among hedgerows. It's pretty cool and really can mess with the player's head if you provide a full set of AI plans 🤔. I don't think the idea has been used in CM. So if you think a random German patrol might be cool, I can walk you through the idea. It will work well on maps where the patrol can move in bounds between cover ahead of the MLR.

I like the idea. Of course, there is no bocage in the French/German border area🤨… But the random German patrol fits my scenario pretty well. So if you're in, "Drôle de Guerre" might be a PEB14/kevinkin joint venture. Drop me a message if you're interested!

For now I have some broad ideas, a basic map… and much to do! 😜 And you have designed many scenarios so you have the experience I miss!

2 hours ago, PEB14 said:

I'm pretty sure you can find a SL/ASL scenario on the "Corps Franc" topic…

There are so many, perhaps I missed one. I have a link to a SL/ASL scenario finder and will have to check.

I will send a PM on the patrol topic. 

I am sure there will be some little issues spotted. So, what the heck. Here it is now!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7vq1tkou7jdx0f/AAAzqnXwNR9eXvqQk2SDdt_Pa?dl=0

@Bootie If you want to please place it up on CMMODSIV at your convenience sir. Thank you for your too often unsung service to the CM community. Use the below as the description.

FR40A BRONZE LEVEL INSTRUCTIONS

April 2023

WELCOME!

This is the CMFI France 1940 Mod "Bronze Level Release"!

THANKS!

My thanks to all those who helped make this possible: 
Damian45, Falaise, JM Stuff, kevinkin, Juju, sbobovyc. Others not listed.
Some mods displayed may be very old mods and I do not know who made them.
Mods such as CMBN buildings and such.

EASY INSTRUCTIONS!

1. Put scenarios in your CMFI scenario folder.
They have a prefix of FR40A.

2. Plop the mod folder in your CMFI z folder. 

If you have tons of extra German helmets in your z from other mods...you shoud temporarily pull them out. 
Or you will see an odd camo helmet on the France 1940 Germans. That would be sad.

3. Look at the "Nice to Haves" folder and make some decisions.

a. Do you want a different splash screen while playing the mod? Pick mine or Damian's. 

b. Plop the music in your z if you want a different tune as it loads.

c. The loading screens by Damian45 are awesome. I recommend them.

d. The String file changes the names of stuff. It is not dangerous.
But just know it should be removed out of z if you do other stuff.

Standard disclaimer. Use at your own risk. 
All materials are licensed work of BFC. 
I did this for free.

Best regards,

kohlenklau

Edited by kohlenklau

11 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I added a CMFI FRANCE 1940 Scenario Creation Guide pdf manual to the dropbox link above.

I hope we see some folks make some scenarios.

HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYBODY!

Just download your last master piece, check it later in details, thanks and happy Easter too.

On 2/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, Falaise said:

plus 3 combat group/ squad
composed like this
a squad leader sergeant with rifle
a deputy (corporal) with rifle
an FM shooter with 24/29
a loader man with gun
  3 outfitters with rifle
4 outfielder with rifle
a VB shooter with a grenade launcher

Please tell me more about the grenade launcher of 1940