Preview: First FanMade BattlePack for CM Red Thunder

Mr.X

3 hours ago, Mr.X said:

This one will complete the BattlePack. In total, there will be 5 Campaigns with 40 single missions. That‘s my limit 🤪

I'm curious to know the time you'll spend on that HUGE BattlePack!!! 😶

@PEB14:

Without exaggeration, I assume, it is hundreds of hours. But I didn‘t count 😉

I am in the lucky situation to be able to  combine my work with my hobby. So, while I am sitting here and create stuff, I am payed 🙏🏻
So, no clash with real life, enough time for children and family AND CM 😎

During the last ten years, I never had time for such things and may be, next year my time for CM will be (at least) reduced. So, now is the time to become a legend 🤪

I HAVE to know what kind of jobit is. Sounds like the perfect job! 😆

I spent around 24 on my first, small scenario (platoon size). Next to zero historical research, small map with no overlays... For 40 scenarios that would mean 1000 hours !!! 🥴

It would be interesting to find out the exacte time, a single campaign is consuming. 

I guess, the 10 mission campaign „Five Bridges“ needs about (net - I cannot concentrate myself for endless hours - so meanwhile I do some other things for a change😉) 300 hours, which means 4-6 months…

But the real Designers like GeorgeMC or PaperTiger will be able to answer this question with more details, because they have constantly created new high quality stuff for years, while I only did three campaigns between 2011 and 2014. 

53 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

I HAVE to know what kind of jobit is. Sounds like the perfect job! 😆

Medical Intervention Team. While you are waiting for medical emergencies in a 24hour shift, time can be very very long 😉

46 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

But the real Designers like GeorgeMC or PaperTiger will be able to answer this question with more details, because they have constantly created new high quality stuff for years, while I only did three campaigns between 2011 and 2014. 

Only 3 campaigns ! 😅

Are you joking? Have you any idea how many community people did create three (non stock) campaigns or more for WW2 titles?

Any idea ?

OK here's the answer:

• Michael Jones (dragonwynn) did 4 CMRT & 1 CMBN campaigns
  • Lille Fiskerby did 3 CMRT & 1 CMFB campaigns

That's all.

So once you'll release your 5 campaigns BP you'll simply sit at the top with a total of 8 releases… 👍

By the way I noticed that your very first (CMBN) campaign, "A Bloody Ride", is not available anymore at the repository and might not be playable anymore, as it might have been impacted by TO&E changes between game versions. Is it correct? Didn't you ever consider to upgrade it?

I'm also aware of your "Welcome to Sicily" campaign for CMFI (which I haven't yet played); I'm curious, what is the third one that you created before 2014?

Oh, these guys have made much huger campaigns than me. 
I remember, there was „Devils Descent“ and a campaign about the counter attack at Mortain („Letzte Hoffnung“?) and „A bloody Ride“ should have been the third usermade campaign for CMBN. I doubt, if it is still playable today, but I don‘t have a version on my current PC. 
With „Welcome to Sicily“, from todays view, I am not lucky. Only 3 missions and historical not acurate enough. 
The last one is „Zawiya Uprising“ for ShockForce. It was meant as a small Red vs Red Campaign without too much expectations (while I had waited for RedThunder) - but most critics were positiv. 

Edited by Mr.X

2 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Oh, these guys have made much huger campaigns than me. 
I remember, there was „Devils Descent“ and a campaign about the counter attack at Mortain („Letzte Hoffnung“?) and „A bloody Ride“ should have been the third usermade campaign for CMBN. I doubt, if it is still playable today, but I don‘t have a version on my current PC.

I just played „Devils Descent“ as my first (!) campaign last week. It shows its age. Narrative is good, but balance is terrible;  a newbie, I was able to win by a huge margin every single mission. I've heard that machinguns were les effective at the beginning of CMBN, so balance may have shifted a lot.

„Letzte Hoffnung“ is reputedly not playable anymore as most of the armor disappeard from the OOB after one if the CMBN update (compatibility issue, I guess). A pity as it had a great reputation.

With „Welcome to Sicily“, from todays view, I am not lucky.

I may give a try to this one very soon. Small enough for a beginner. Features Italian and I haven't played CW much up to now.

With „Welcome to Sicily“, from todays view, I am not lucky. Only 3 missions and historical not acurate enough.

As a creator I prefer historically accurate campaigns, as a player I like anything as long as it is entertaining! 😉

The last one is „Zawiya Uprising“ for ShockForce. It was meant as a small Red vs Red Campaign without too much expectations (while I had waited for RedThunder) - but most critics were positiv.

Oh that's the reason why I missed it. I don't play modern games.

Now we all look forward for your big BP!

In contrary to the Siciliy-Campaign, the claim of this BP will be to have the best possible historical accuracy. 
All maps will be based on historical military maps or at least areal photos.

All units will be presented as historical correct as it can be. Many real names of officers and some portraits of former soldiers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Short update:

While I am starting with playtesting for 2 of the 4 campaigns (the biggest one runs already at this stage) - I have now an overview of all the different divisional and Army-Units, the players will command (parts of) through these 5 campaigns. 
And I couldn‘t resist to list them here 😎

12th ID 

24th (mot) ID 

31st ID 

45th ID 

95th ID 

134th ID 

178th (Storm) ID

252nd ID 

286th Security Division

383rd ID 

PGD „Feldherrnhalle“ 

12th PD 

20th PD

3rd SS-PD 

SS-KG von Gottberg 

I. Flakabteilung(AA-Battalion)/ Kommandostab RF-SS

schw.(Heavy) TD-Battallion 665

schw.(Heavy) Heeres-TD-Battalion 519

Assault Gun Brigade 244

Assault Gun Brigade 245

Assault Gun Brigade 909

Regards 

Mr.X 

2 hours ago, Mr.X said:

Short update:

While I am starting with playtesting for 2 of the 4 campaigns (the biggest one runs already at this stage) - I have now an overview of all the different divisional and Army-Units, the players will command (parts of) through these 5 campaigns. 

12th ID 

24th (mot) ID 

31st ID 

45th ID 

95th ID 

134th ID 

178th (Storm) ID

252nd ID 

286th Security Division

383rd ID 

PGD „Feldherrnhalle“ 

12th PD 

20th PD

3rd SS-PD 

SS-KG von Gottberg 

Assault Gun Brigade 244

Assault Gun Brigade 245

Assault Gun Brigade 909

Regards 

Mr.X 

Are you sure 178th is a sturm division? Lexikon-der-wehrmacht lists the only sturm division as 78th I.D., the ones that were defending orshanets during Bagration:

I actually modeled this very division for cmrt to play on the Orsha maps. If it's the same division as the one in your campaign, I will send it over if you're interested

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=107&art_id=888

https://launch.battlefront.co.nz/3535/

Funnily enough both Stug.Abt. 244 and Stug.Abt. 245 were stug units that fought in stalingrad. I assume they died there too but I'm not sure. I wonder what the story is with the brigades. Maybe they were reformed? Interesting.

Edited by Artkin

@Artkin

Of course, you are right 👍🏻 It‘s a mistake. It should be the 78th (storm) Division.

And yes, both Abteilungen had been destroyed in Stalingrad. But they were rebuilt in March and April 1943 as Abteilungen and later (early 1944) reformed as Brigades. 

Regards 

Mr.X

16 hours ago, Mr.X said:

@Artkin

Of course, you are right 👍🏻 It‘s a mistake. It should be the 78th (storm) Division.

And yes, both Abteilungen had been destroyed in Stalingrad. But they were rebuilt in March and April 1943 as Abteilungen and later (early 1944) reformed as Brigades. 

Regards 

Mr.X

That makes sense. I wonder if any cadre were flown out of the pocket? I know 244 and 245 were in the city while 177 was deployed to the Don flank. Other than that I'm not sure if there were any other stug units operating in Army Group B during this time.

If you're interested I made this a couple months ago and totally forgot about it. I'm unsure if it's complete:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6ck8gnz163d964/Sturm-Division 78.btt?dl=0

On 5/16/2023 at 4:11 AM, Mr.X said:

Short update:

12th ID 

24th (mot) ID 

31st ID 

45th ID 

95th ID 

134th ID 

178th (Storm) ID

252nd ID 

286th Security Division

383rd ID 

PGD „Feldherrnhalle“ 

12th PD 

20th PD

3rd SS-PD 

SS-KG von Gottberg 

Assault Gun Brigade 244

Assault Gun Brigade 245

Assault Gun Brigade 909

Regards 

Mr.X 

Edit

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 5/16/2023 at 6:38 AM, Artkin said:

Are you sure 178th is a sturm division? Lexikon-der-wehrmacht lists the only sturm division as 78th I.D., the ones that were defending orshanets during Bagration:

I actually modeled this very division for cmrt to play on the Orsha maps. If it's the same division as the one in your campaign, I will send it over if you're interested

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=107&art_id=888

https://launch.battlefront.co.nz/3535/

Funnily enough both Stug.Abt. 244 and Stug.Abt. 245 were stug units that fought in stalingrad. I assume they died there too but I'm not sure. I wonder what the story is with the brigades. Maybe they were reformed? Interesting.

Artkin, what was the name of that campaign again? I probably have it, but I take no risks. 🙂

@Artkin:
I doubt, that more than some WIA were evacuated during the Stalingrad-Pocket. Most of these units had to be almost completely reformed. I will try to read this chapter of the history of the 244th Brigade and will tell you, if I find any info 👍🏻

Regards 

Mr.X

By the way, during the making of this BattlePack, it was like a history- and geography lesson for me. 
Although I was aware of, that the typical wide landscape of the East is mainly found in the Southern (and Ukrainian) Region, I was still surprised about the sheer density of wooded and swampy areas in the Central Region. Almost no place for huge tank operations, only a limited number of roads and always some kind of a  claustrophobic feeling. Now, I can comprehend, why German Headquarters simply lost the contact with whole Army-Corps.