Newbie bridge question

PEB14

Hi,

Let's go with another newbie question.

I'm playing the last scenario of CMRT's introducing campaign. One of the objectives is a one-lane bridge. I secured this and managed to cross it with my T-34s, but it looks like neither the JS-2 nor the SU-152 can cross it: they stubbornly turn away when arriving at the entrance of the bridge! Extremely frustrating, especially as the smoke screen gently dissipates away!!!

I can understand that some bridges are too small or too weak to afford heavy vehicles, but how does one know ? In this specific case I saw no information in the briefing. Did I miss something?

6 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Hi,

Let's go with another newbie question.

I'm playing the last scenario of CMRT's introducing campaign. One of the objectives is a one-lane bridge. I secured this and managed to cross it with my T-34s, but it looks like neither the JS-2 nor the SU-152 can cross it: they stubbornly turn away when arriving at the entrance of the bridge! Extremely frustrating, especially as the smoke screen gently dissipates away!!!

I can understand that some bridges are too small or too weak to afford heavy vehicles, but how does one know ? In this specific case I saw no information in the briefing. Did I miss something?

Try setting a waypoint right before both ends of the bridge. If that doesnt work then yes the bridge cannot support the weight. You have to eyeball it out, usually if the bridge is wide enough it will support the vehicle. 

If they are turning away it may actually be that the bridge it too light to carry the heavy tanks rather than the bridge bug. Designers can use this on purpose sometimes if it's historically appropriate and/or they want to provide tactical challenges to players. If you have a screenshot of the bridge it may help understand the issue.

No screenshot unfortunately...

Anyway I'm not shicked that a bridge is not appropriate for heavy vehicles, what is frustrating is the lack of info of any kind regarding a potential interdiction.

I cannot trace a waypoint to a forbidden terrain (like marshes). But I can put a waypoint on this damn bridge for ANY of my units!

20 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

No screenshot unfortunately...

Anyway I'm not shicked that a bridge is not appropriate for heavy vehicles, what is frustrating is the lack of info of any kind regarding a potential interdiction.

I cannot trace a waypoint to a forbidden terrain (like marshes). But I can put a waypoint on this damn bridge for ANY of my units!

If you hover your mouse over the bridge with a move order and if your icon doesnt change then the bridge is navigable by your vehicle. It WILL NOT let you place a movement order on it if it's too weak to support your vehicle. Try doing what I said above.

Edited by Artkin

Sherrif of Oosterbeek's railway bridge. The Stug III won't drive under the bridge as plotted but drives over it and starts the chicken dance. Just don't play buggy scenarios. This scenario is also a textbook of how to make a scenario. Is this scenario meant to be played as British Commonwealth? They perform a little lower than expected.

48 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

What - no teleporting? You haven't seen the real bridge bugs yet :)

Yes, the famous 'rubber-banding'?  I've also had my panzers drive through the bridge entrance into the river / river bank below rather than onto the bridge.  Managed a quick reverse to rescue them but wasted a lot of time which I didn't have.

At least compare to those have step into a hole on the bridge and fallen into the water,  the JS-2 is lucky  :)

FJU8sCk.jpg

BTW, is there any plan to fix the bridge on the berlin map?

Also, the bridge from scenario FR Save the beast is also buggy, make that scenario unplayable.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 5:19 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

If they are turning away it may actually be that the bridge it too light to carry the heavy tanks rather than the bridge bug. Designers can use this on purpose sometimes if it's historically appropriate and/or they want to provide tactical challenges to players. If you have a screenshot of the bridge it may help understand the issue.

Hello,

Just to confirm that Ithikial's answer was correct. In this scenario, the bridge is clearly a one-lane bridge. The game manual clearly states that heavy vehicles cannot cross those bridges. However vague "heavy vehicles " might sound, JS and JSU clearly qualify as such and it is perfectly clear why they won't cross this specific bridge.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, Artkin said:

If you hover your mouse over the bridge with a move order and if your icon doesnt change then the bridge is navigable by your vehicle. It WILL NOT let you place a movement order on it if it's too weak to support your vehicle. Try doing what I said above.

Unfortunately this is not true. The mouse icon doesn't change when pointing on the bridge with a move order for a heavy vehicle over a one-lane bridge.

13 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Hello,

Just to confirm that Ithikial's answer was correct. In this scenario, the bridge is clearly a one-lane bridge. The game manual clearly states that heavy vehicles cannot cross those bridges. However vague "heavy vehicles " might sound, JS and JSU clearly qualify as such and it is perfectly clear why they won't cross this specific bridge.

Unfortunately this is not true. The mouse icon doesn't change when pointing on the bridge with a move order for a heavy vehicle over a one-lane bridge.

You are wrong. Why don't you test it for yourself before writing on our forums? I dont feel like wasting my time uploading a screenshot. 

19 hours ago, Artkin said:

You are wrong. Why don't you test it for yourself before writing on our forums? I dont feel like wasting my time uploading a screenshot. 

Wow… How rude Mr Artkin…

First let me apologize to pollute YOUR forum with my posts. My bad.

Second I must be fair and recognize that you are right. Apparently I didn't understand properly the mouse appearance change when I played the campaign first (newbie mistake? remember, this is the training campaign).

So I restarted the campaign to reproduce the issue, here are the screenshots:

T34onthebridge.thumb.jpeg.74e5657b5bc2436f479d364764d2b598.jpeg

T-34 on the bridge: no issue.

JS2onthebridge.thumb.jpeg.ee0cfd6be06973629a8b60df1084614a.jpeg

JS2: impossible to place a waypoint on the bridge itself.

So, the sum it up, one-lane bridge are impassable by heavy vehicles (like JS tanks), as indicated in the game manual. And, as rightfully pointed out by Artkin, this can be seen by hovering the mouse on the bridge itself: if the bridge is impassable by a vehicle, you can't position a waypoint on the bridge itself.

End of the story.