I'm confused who would buy a game from Steam compared to buying from here?

lcm1947

29 minutes ago, lcm1947 said:

Is there an advantage whether buying straight from BF or Steam other than price perhaps?   

Only the price, yes. Steam has regional prices so for me it is 50 euro on Steam instead of almost 60 euro (Paypal conversion rates) buying it from here. Of course, you support the developers a bit more when you buy it from their website. Then again, in addition to the regional pricing, Steam also has sales on the Combat Mission titles.

You might also want to consider that you can complete bundles on Steam, and bundles give you an additional sale. For example, there is a bundle for all modern war CM base games. I already owned Shock Force 2 and Black Sea, so I was able - by purchasing the bundle - to buy Cold War for 40 euro instead of 50 euro. The same is true for the Shock Force 2 DLCs. I already owned 2 of them and completed the bundle at a double sale (regular sale and bundle additional sale), so the last DLC was 14 euro for me instead of the sale 21 euro. Do note, that Battlefront has the same bundles here on the website but you have to buy them at once and you are not able to complete it peu à peu.

All that being said, you will get a Steam key for all of the CM games (the WW2 games will come out on Steam some time in the future) when you buy them from the Battlefront website. When you buy the games on Steam, however, you won't get a key for the games outside of Steam.

Edited by Sunbather

8 hours ago, Sunbather said:

Only the price, yes. Steam has regional prices so for me it is 50 euro on Steam instead of almost 60 euro (Paypal conversion rates) buying it from here. Of course, you support the developers a bit more when you buy it from their website. Then again, in addition to the regional pricing, Steam also has sales on the Combat Mission titles.

You might also want to consider that you can complete bundles on Steam, and bundles give you an additional sale. For example, there is a bundle for all modern war CM base games. I already owned Shock Force 2 and Black Sea, so I was able - by purchasing the bundle - to buy Cold War for 40 euro instead of 50 euro. The same is true for the Shock Force 2 DLCs. I already owned 2 of them and completed the bundle at a double sale (regular sale and bundle additional sale), so the last DLC was 14 euro for me instead of the sale 21 euro. Do note, that Battlefront has the same bundles here on the website but you have to buy them at once and you are not able to complete it peu à peu.

All that being said, you will get a Steam key for all of the CM games (the WW2 games will come out on Steam some time in the future) when you buy them from the Battlefront website. When you buy the games on Steam, however, you won't get a key for the games outside of Steam.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all that.  I did understand it except for one thing.  You state that if you purchase a game from this site, you get a Steam key.  If you purchase a game from this site as I have done in the past, why would I want a Steam key anyhow your onsite purchase already allows you to download the game and play it so why would you even care if they give you a Steam key?  

I wouldn't discount the fact that Steam automatically updates your games whenever there's an official patch or you purchase a new module. Over the years patching and upgrading a game like CMBN, for example, has been quite an effort. Five modules, countless patches and upgrades... oh dear. That sure tested my aging brain ;)

As a matter of fact I'm waiting for it to be available on Steam before I install it on my new laptop.

Edited by Malaspina

12 hours ago, lcm1947 said:

why would I want a Steam key anyhow your onsite purchase already allows you to download the game and play it so why would you even care if they give you a Steam key?  

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

I prefer my battlefront original copies. In my experience with CMBS on steam, there were bugs and it did not work as fast as my Battlefront copy. Also I think the launcher that comes with the Steam version is entirely redundant and in poor design taste.

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Never a problem purchasing my games from BF. Steam a solution without a problem.

I have always marvelled about people being so opposed against something they don't need to have anything to do with in the first place. If you don't want Steam and think it is full of bugs or runs worse on Steam (superstition anybody?), then don't use it. After all, you got the Steam key for free. But this slightly condescending look on the new kid on the block (Steam was established in 2003...), gets a tad ridiculous.

Now for the reason why the Steam releases are actually a good thing and to answer OP's follow-up question quoted here in the beginning:

Subjective Reasons

1. For me, and as I explained in my first post, a big plus is that Steam offers regional pricing and sales. For me the bargain might be not that great but for people who live in countries with a weak currency or ridiculous inflation, Steam's regional pricing is a godsend (Turkey, Argentina).

2. I can track my playtime. I am by no means a quantified self-guy, in fact, I hate all quantifying. But still, as an avid gamer, I like to keep track of how much I play of this or that game. To see that every single CM title is slowly gaining momentum and soon will roll by my shameful 60 hours of PUBG, gives me an odd satisfaction.

3. Also, people like me like to have all their games in one place. Again, the satisfaction. Also, when you're used to it, Steam is easy to navigate and will bring your VERY quickly in your game install folder, so you can look up things.

4. Small thing but still noteworthy: your install of a CM game via Battlefront will divide your game into two sections: the fundamental gamefiles will be installed whereever you like, of course. Let's say you choose your D:\ drive because C:\ is full or not your chosen place for games. Well, the game will STILL make a folder on your C:\ drive and in fact you will have to install all mods there. So when you have 10GB of mods and your C:\ is small, you're a bit in a tight space (literally). The Steam install is all in one place and one place only.

Objective Reasons

5. Steam has refunds. This can also be a negative argument since I don't think that people can learn to enjoy a Combat Mission game within the 2 hours of refund time. The best solution to let people try out games are demos. Which Battlefront offers. But not on Steam. In fact, I think they should upload their demos on Steam as well. It might go a long way. Not everyone browsing on Steam and stumbles upon a CM game, knows that there are demos on the official site. Heck, they might not even know an official site exists.

6. As has been said by @MikeyD, CM gets a wider audience, hence maybe more money and more interest which ultimately benefits you. Also, more players means more multiplayer opponents. Look at me youngster: I've purchased my first CM game (SF2) via this website but ONLY because I was promised to get a Steam key later on.

7. As has been said by @Malaspina: automated updating!

This is only from the top of my head. I've tried hard to make my argumentation as convincing as @chuckdykes forceful argument against Steam: "Never a problem purchasing my games from BF. Steam a solution without a problem."

Edited by Sunbather

Wrong.

I played CMBS on Steam as soon as I was able to. It ran slower and was packaged with visual bugs. Also when I start my game I prefer it started instead of wasting resources on opening a purposeless launcher. 

I'm not sure about you but at one point I had 15 Pbems going at once. I prefer my Battlefront copy. 

Nice try at belittling others. 

Twenty years a happy battlefront customer. I started with Beyond Overlord. Helpdesk of BF is second to none, if it aint broke I don't try to fix something. Just traveling and downloaded a few games on my gaming laptop. No problem sorry for my attitude about steam, I wish all their customers happy gaming in 2023.

I purchased my CMCW game on Steam back in December and while at first, I didn't notice how slow it loaded up for some reason about 1 1/2 weeks ago I noticed that it now takes 1.10 minutes to load.  Not too happy about that as that is the longest 1.10 minutes ever.  Like waiting for an egg to boil.  Anyway, I may decide not to buy CMBS from Steam after all but straight from BF when I do buy one once the next patch comes out to fix that T-90 bug.  I have tons of games on Steam, but CW was the first BF game bought from them.  

My Steam version of CW loads fast. I can't see any differences to the BFC or Matrix versions.

Speaking of it, there are 3 versions, not 2:
- battlefront's (which has activation count DRM and gives you the other 2)
- Steam build (steam DRM)
- Matrix build (serial number based DRM)

The Matrix one is attractive from a DRM and management standpoint, but only the battlefront version is available for Mac.

Steam is nice because there is no additional book keeping with regards to installing and playing game when you get a new computer.  All your games are in one account so you don't have to go back to old emails to try and find battlefront serial numbers.  In addition, new patches are automatically installed.  Finally, you have a single place to go to buy additional games or DLCs.  This is why Steam is so popular.  I strongly support the move to Steam and am a bit shocked that Battlefront made the move given their bashing of it in years past.

1 hour ago, warrenpeace said:

Steam is nice because there is no additional book keeping with regards to installing and playing game when you get a new computer.  All your games are in one account so you don't have to go back to old emails to try and find battlefront serial numbers.  In addition, new patches are automatically installed.  Finally, you have a single place to go to buy additional games or DLCs.  This is why Steam is so popular.  I strongly support the move to Steam and am a bit shocked that Battlefront made the move given their bashing of it in years past.

Don't forget steam workshop, something I'm shocked hasn't been set up because it would instantly replace all of the various map and mission repositories while being much easier to use.  

On 1/17/2023 at 2:38 PM, Vacillator said:

A small disagreement from me - all of my mods (and there are many) for all WW2 titles are on my D drive.  For example:

D:\Combat Mission Fortress Italy\Data\Z

You are right! What was I thinking? I should have checked my facts.

There are 2 different folders but the mods still go into the directory you've installed your game in. However, the other folder on your main drive still packs all the savegames which we all know are unbearably huge in the CM games.

3 hours ago, Alchenar said:

Don't forget steam workshop, something I'm shocked hasn't been set up because it would instantly replace all of the various map and mission repositories while being much easier to use.  

As far as I know, setting up a Steam workshop is not as easy as one might think. Though it might be different with how easy it is to load mods in the CM games. However, the main objection is probably that you would put all the users in disadvantage that play the game via Battlefront and Matrix/Slitherine. While I, too, love the Steam workshop as modding has never been so easy, there still is a general trend against the implementation of the Steam workshop: Ready or Not, Songs of Conquest, Humankind to name just three are all games that embrace mod.io instead of Steam workshop to not exclude players on any other platforms.

36 minutes ago, Sunbather said:

As far as I know, setting up a Steam workshop is not as easy as one might think. Though it might be different with how easy it is to load mods in the CM games. However, the main objection is probably that you would put all the users in disadvantage that play the game via Battlefront and Matrix/Slitherine. While I, too, love the Steam workshop as modding has never been so easy, there still is a general trend against the implementation of the Steam workshop: Ready or Not, Songs of Conquest, Humankind to name just three are all games that embrace mod.io instead of Steam workshop to not exclude players on any other platforms.

So I'll agree it depends and there are reasons to not go with Workshop, but 99.9% of CM user content consists of files that go into one of two or three standard folders in the game install directory - it is a textbook example of the most basic implementation being able to completely service the community requirement, particularly as Battlefront is a hard no on ever opening up the games to more aggressive modding.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:03 PM, Redwolf said:

My Steam version of CW loads fast. I can't see any differences to the BFC or Matrix versions.

Speaking of it, there are 3 versions, not 2:
- battlefront's (which has activation count DRM and gives you the other 2)
- Steam build (steam DRM)
- Matrix build (serial number based DRM)

The Matrix one is attractive from a DRM and management standpoint, but only the battlefront version is available for Mac.

Thanks for the reply particularly in regard to the game loading speed.  I now am noticing although it could have been going on ever since getting the game that even saving is taking more time than ever plus the game will freeze and I have to manually terminate the game and of course that save didn't save.  I especially hate that when it's been lots of action and not having saved in some time.  I will be buying CW but it'll be from BF for sure so guess I'll find out if it's my machine or not but everything I test shows the PC is running properly.  

Steam workshop sucks. I've searched for items that never showed up despite having the same exact keywords. 

With the amount of content that is available for CM, you will spend an hour just trying to find files. The workshop's organization is pretty crap. If they made a browser that wasn't so bad I would dig it. But ffs, there are better options. IanL's website does it perfect, but there isnt a massive collection on there. 

Valve went with a childish redesign a couple years back and it recessed in functionality. 

23 hours ago, lcm1947 said:

Thanks for the reply particularly in regard to the game loading speed.  I now am noticing although it could have been going on ever since getting the game that even saving is taking more time than ever plus the game will freeze and I have to manually terminate the game and of course that save didn't save.  I especially hate that when it's been lots of action and not having saved in some time.  I will be buying CW but it'll be from BF for sure so guess I'll find out if it's my machine or not but everything I test shows the PC is running properly.  

Maybe some kind of antimalware service pays special attention to the Steam version?

One of the benefits is that devs can push hotfixes to the whole playerbase much easier, if a critical issue pops up they can fix it quickly and send out the update. I doubt Battlefront would do this though because of their large playerbase off of Steam so it's really just a way to increase the visibility of their games.

21 hours ago, Codreanu said:

One of the benefits is that devs can push hotfixes to the whole playerbase much easier, if a critical issue pops up they can fix it quickly and send out the update. I doubt Battlefront would do this though because of their large playerbase off of Steam so it's really just a way to increase the visibility of their games.

Well, in reality it takes endless for patches to make it from BFC through Matrix. So only BFC edition runners get the on time.

6 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Well, in reality it takes endless for patches to make it from BFC through Matrix. So only BFC edition runners get the on time.

It seems to take ages for Matrix/Slitherine/whoever they are to do anything, in a couple of months it will be a year since CMBN was supposed to come out on Steam, which is more than enough reason to just buy from BFC directly, as much as I like Steam's convenience, plus you can transfer over to Steam for free when it comes out anyway.