Mac OS X 13.0 Ventura

I took the plunge and updated to OS X 13.0 (Ventura).

Good news - CM *mostly* works fine, eventually.

Bad news - you'll have to be patient. I had to force quit and restart each CM title several times before they started up. The first couple of times they hung up, and showed "not responding" in the CMD-OPTION-ESC quit box. I don't know why this is.

EXCEPT, so far I can't get RT to start at all. It just hangs up. The first couple of times with a not responding message, and since then it just doesn't ever start up. I'll be doing some investigating to see if I can find any error messages in system logs. 

Good news - Once they did start up, they ran just fine, and continued the PBEM game in FB with no problems.

I'll post here if/when I figure more out. Keep in mind this is just one hour of playing with Ventura, but figured I'd give a heads up so people don't just throw up their hands.

Dave

23 hours ago, Ultradave said:

I took the plunge and updated to OS X 13.0 (Ventura).

Somebody has to be first! Well done for taking the plunge.

Off the top of my head, so excuse complete ignorance here, is the slow start perhaps related to iCloud? Do you use iCloud? Maybe disable it temporarily if it's enabled.

I doubt I'll go there yet as my Mac has to stay pretty stable for work as well as play, but will watch your findings with interest.

3 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Somebody has to be first! Well done for taking the plunge.

Off the top of my head, so excuse complete ignorance here, is the slow start perhaps related to iCloud? Do you use iCloud? Maybe disable it temporarily if it's enabled.

I doubt I'll go there yet as my Mac has to stay pretty stable for work as well as play, but will watch your findings with interest.

I used to be that way when I was at NC State because I used it for research (Linux apps), and for teaching. 

I don't think it's iCloud because nothing CM related has anything to do with iCloud. But, hey, sometimes weird things show up.

BUT, retired now, so nothing better to do than run tests on myself 🤣

Dave

In the Activity Monitor it shows cmrt process running at about 15% CPU, so I'm just letting it run, and run, and run, hoping that it will eventually decide to finish starting up.

No idea why RT is being finicky compared to all the rest (well, more finicky - the rest took 2 or 3 restarts to get going, but RT is just obstinate). Can't think of any logical reason for it.

Dave

Ok, RT works now. I wish I knew why, however, what worked was starting it (right click "Open" to bypass the Mac OS security), let it "run" for about 30 minutes with nothing happening, Force Quit it, started it from the menu bar again and it started right up. 🤷‍♂️

So, all good, with some fiddling. I did not test SF2, since I don't currently have it installed. I would expect it to be the same as the rest.

I did reinstall RT as part of this (that wasn't the problem though) and there was no change from the latest Mac OS rigmarole of right clicking, Open, Open anyway, etc.  

Dave

1 hour ago, Albert DuBalay said:

Thanks for having tested it. Thinking of changing my 2009 MacBook Pro 💻 (yes ! stil runs great) for one of the slick Silicon chip ones. Has anybody ever tested CM on those new Apple Mac Silicon ? Thanks. 

Yes. It works fine. There is at least one thread on here of reports. I don't have one myself but others, both users and beta testers have them.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...