Bleeding into real life...

Aloha.

No, not a post about Battlefront's unwittingly prophetic settings, but instead the games themselves just... appearing... in real life.

Originally I just intended to lurk around the forums and learn all the neat advice and tips from the pros and ended up having an experience the other day that convinced me I should probably just make an account and get absorbed into the community.

Rookie hours compared to many here I imagine, but just recently clocked a total playtime of 150hrs in SF2; many of those hours were in feverishly uninterrupted groups of four or more.

Was driving around town a few days ago, completely normal suburban town. At one point I'm making a turn and my eyes glance over a singular tree above a patch of grass and my brain immediately recognizes it as a grass tile with a single tree feature in the action square. Thankfully I stopped my brain right there before I started imagining little digital soldiers lining up prone behind the tree.

En lieu of deciding I need help, I've decided I need to read more experiences of people who've played too much of this game for it (or imaginations of it) to start appearing subconsciously in normal everyday non-CM life. Anyone? I don't want to be alone here. Please.

Different game (Il2) which I don't play so much now, but out in the fields and on the roads I still find myself doing "The German Look" if I hear any sort of aircraft in the sky. 

In a similar (this time CM) vein, I find I'm always checking LOS through gaps in the hedges on the local bridleway.  Usually to see if I can spot other dog walkers before my crazy Spaniels🐕 do, but it's a bit odd.

Anyway, welcome and don't feel like your alone.

Nam, it's been on more than one occasion I've caught myself using artillery lingo definitely acquired from CM in other games (mostly ARMA) that I play with pals. While this is more about bleeding into other games, ARMA is definitely one where after having played SF2 I find myself playing much, much more strategically minded rather than "Attack this location, eventually die, respawn, repeat." One friend of mine in particular likes doing the latter and I'm pretty sure is becoming increasingly impatient with my constant hunt-speed movements in urban environs.

The Ukraine war and our long thread on it have completely changed how I see CM. I used to see it in ASL kinda terms. Units are chits moved around on a map. But watching those short little engagement videos from Ukraine have made me realize how much CM looks like real war from what we see in those snippets.  And how each CM battle is like a dozen of those drone videos all meshed into one. One of the screenshots that I used for the CMRT pre-orders gave me that feeling. That's why I chose it. It wasn't the coolest screenshot ever taken but it eerily looked like the real war that we are watching unfold on the internet. Looking at it again still gives me the creeps. How many Russian AFVs have we seen sitting in a similar spot before getting blowed up.

overview_1.png

On 10/4/2022 at 4:00 AM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Welcome and nice first post.

I think most of us have been there.

There's a particular place on a highway where I drive fairly frequently that has a hill top 2 miles away from where I turn onto it and I always play the what can I spot and ID at that range game.

There's a tree line on a crest of a slope near where I walk the dogs...always look up,  checking for movement. Thought it was just me.

I was recently thinking about how I can conjure up past CM battles in my head with a lot more detail than I usually can in games.  You do have to stare and think about them an awful lot, I suppose, and each map is at least as detailed as most maps in multiplayer FPSes.  Probably more.  This series has its hooks in me horribly.

Edited by callada

I live in Cambridgeshire, and often (when at least on a raised hill area, we do have some) I look out into the distance and ponder the view point from armour/anit tank gun engagements and think just how much of a nightmare they really must have been in battles like hill 212. or how much of a logistical pain the fenlands would've been in the event the Germans operation sea lion did get on shore.

then, the mind kicks in and I end up talking to one self muttering strategy etc and forces, lol...

bubba