PBEM++ Problem - Turn won't save

7 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

That's *usually* an issue with the Matrix/Slitherene servers.

Not very encouraging. Two people enjoyed a game by PBEM and it took them a year. If I recall it was FB A War without Mercy. That is one heck of a commitment. You certainly need a reliable service. Imo something Battlefront needs to work on and not rely on a third party.

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Not very encouraging. Two people enjoyed a game by PBEM and it took them a year. If I recall it was FB A War without Mercy. That is one heck of a commitment. You certainly need a reliable service. Imo something Battlefront needs to work on and not rely on a third party.

Anyone can still use the "old" system of using dropbox or emailing turns to each other. No one is required to use the PBEM++ system. And if you use a Mac or play against someone who does, you HAVE to use the old system.

Dave

4 hours ago, Ultradave said:

That's *usually* an issue with the Matrix/Slitherene servers. I"ve had that in other games that use the system. It usually clears up after a delay (which can be lengthy).

Dave

This has been going on since the 1.06 debacle.  Initially it happened with a battle with another opponent too, but that seems to have corrected itself.  The problem with this battle/opponent has lasted for a week or so.

52 minutes ago, Allan Wotherspoon said:

This has been going on since the 1.06 debacle.  Initially it happened with a battle with another opponent too, but that seems to have corrected itself.  The problem with this battle/opponent has lasted for a week or so.

Oh, wait, this is CW PBEM++ game.  So, not exactly a "debacle".  The patch is being final tested which required that games be at 1.06 for PBEM++   Unfortunately that means that existing games will be on hold for just a little bit. I don't think @BFCElvis has had any luck in getting Matrix to work around that somehow.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

2 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Oh, wait, this is CW PBEM++ game.  So, not exactly a "debacle".  The patch is being final tested which required that games be at 1.06 for PBEM++   Unfortunately that means that existing games will be on hold for just a little bit. I don't think @BFCElvis has had any luck in getting Matrix to work around that somehow.

Dave

No, @BFCElvissaid that they had reverted the PBEM++ server so that ver 1.06 is no longer required.  The debacle I was referring to was stopping everyone's 1.05 game so that ver 1.06 could be tested.

I have no idea if there is a link between my problem saving a turn in PBEM++ and the 1.06 test.

Well, then it could be just a Matrix server issue. I'm play testing a different game, and occasionally I just get a spinning wheel when it says it's uploading to the Matrix server. I've had to leave it overnight a couple times and sometime during the night it uploaded. 

Had the same thing happen occasionally with WiTW and that's been a while, so I'm not sure what the problem is on the Matrix end. They've certainly been told about it enough times.

3 hours ago, Redwolf said:

I am surprised they (Matrix) don't have a separate test/staging server for testing new versions before they go public. Upgrading the one production server to 1.06 before any of the customers can get 1.06 is a little below the standards of good software engineering.

They do. That is how we test both the tournament and PBEM++ systems. But before an actual patch release we need to test it with the real public server.

2 hours ago, Allan Wotherspoon said:

No, @BFCElvissaid that they had reverted the PBEM++ server so that ver 1.06 is no longer required.  The debacle I was referring to was stopping everyone's 1.05 game so that ver 1.06 could be tested.

I have no idea if there is a link between my problem saving a turn in PBEM++ and the 1.06 test.

Yes. It definitely seems like somefink is amiss. When testing using their beta servers everything worked fine. Initially,  when testing on the public servers everything behaved well. Once the requirement for the version number was removed everything went to pot. Both things like you're seeing and the patch testing.  

28 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

They do. That is how we test both the tournament and PBEM++ systems. But before an actual patch release we need to test it with the real public server.

So they wanted to leave it like that for -what- a whole week before actually releasing the matching patch?

I mean they obviously don't do things with the server on weekends. If you hadn't told them to revert they would have left it like that rejecting all public versions, while none of them does anything on there.

58 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

So they wanted to leave it like that for -what- a whole week before actually releasing the matching patch?

I mean they obviously don't do things with the server on weekends. If you hadn't told them to revert they would have left it like that rejecting all public versions, while none of them does anything on there.

We're all learning how each other work. 

On 10/1/2022 at 8:35 PM, Allan Wotherspoon said:

I'm having a problem with one of my PBEM++ games.  For some reason when I play the latest turn from my opponent, my turn does not save and the turn my opponent sent to me remains available for me to play.

Anyone else seen this?

Try it again. I've asked them to revert the servers while we sort out the new tournament build. 

13 hours ago, Allan Wotherspoon said:

Just tried it.  Still no go.  One thing I did notice is that the turn number is not incrementing. I played turn 65 and it wanted to save turn 65 rather than 66.  Manually changing the turn number doesn't help.

I'm not sure if this'll help because you mention that changing the turn number didn't help, but just in case...

Check the Game Files/Outgoing Email folder. If there is already an outgoing file there that hasn't been send for whatever reason (for example because the server was on version 1.06...) then that may be preventing your game from creating a new file and send it (I presume because the game attempts to create a file with the same name as the file that is already there).

Delete the file in your Outgoing Email folder and try again. This has cleared this problem for me a few times.

4 hours ago, Free Whisky said:

I'm not sure if this'll help because you mention that changing the turn number didn't help, but just in case...

Check the Game Files/Outgoing Email folder. If there is already an outgoing file there that hasn't been send for whatever reason (for example because the server was on version 1.06...) then that may be preventing your game from creating a new file and send it (I presume because the game attempts to create a file with the same name as the file that is already there).

Delete the file in your Outgoing Email folder and try again. This has cleared this problem for me a few times.

When using PBEM++ there shouldn't be a file in the Outgoing folder. So, if there is, maybe deleting it will do the trick. 

On 10/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Redwolf said:

I am surprised they (Matrix) don't have a separate test/staging server for testing new versions before they go public.

Indeed this is how it would be expected to be handled.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Redwolf said:

Upgrading the one production server to 1.06 before any of the customers can get 1.06 is a little below the standards of good software engineering.

Customers should never see this kind of thing. IMHO.

41 minutes ago, IanL said:

Indeed this is how it would be expected to be handled.

Customers should never see this kind of thing. IMHO.

I do this sort of stuff for a living, and I'm honestly appalled that they thought it was a good idea to just do their testing in prod. Like that's amateur hour stuff, only suggested as a joke and not something to be done for real.

Either they thought it was a good idea, in which case I have concerns about their professionalism, or they didn't think it would matter because PBEM++ isn't being used, in which case why the hell have they been delaying releasing the other games on steam and holding up patch releases?

Edited by Grey_Fox