On average what is your ratio of whole squads to split squads?

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I split once I make full contact. You will see that only one team made full contact. If there was a casualty only one team suffers combat stress the other two are ok. I play on Iron the other settings could be different. 

im pretty sure entire platoon will suffer combat stress to some degree when anyone in the platoon suffers casualties, right?

That being said, in answer to OP question.  i split all my squads at the start, with almost no exceptions. 

Edited by dkchapuis

1 minute ago, dkchapuis said:

im pretty sure entire platoon will suffer combat stress to some degree when anyone in the platoon suffers casualties, right?

Next time you take fire on full contact split the squad and see what happens. Cautious becomes OK. You are lucky if just one fire team makes full contact. Shock and Stress one is temporary the other is not. 

1 hour ago, womble said:

Split them at start. That way, when you loot the trucks in setup, the right ordnance can be assigned to the right team...

Yup.  I think that's what the experienced players do.  You can also remount split squads so that they keep split and can be dismounted as teams and spread out immediately. 

What puzzles me is that the Red forces in CMBS have 7 man-squads that can be split into 3 teams (3,2,2), but our US squads can only be split in two.  So, if you split off a 2-man scout from a 9-man squad one is left with an unwieldy 7-man team.  

1 hour ago, dkchapuis said:

Correct.  The teams can be located as far apart as possible anywhere on the map but if one team suffers, all the other teams from that squad will suffer immediately.  Not very realistic.  :(

I usually don't split unless it warrants the extra micro management for a particular situation. In a PBEM usually more, but against the AI I usually just split off a scout team. Just depends, but I certainly don't think splitting a mandatory practice all the time. Better in some cases, but not as good in some. I like to use the Assault command too which needs sqaud intact to use so another reason for me not to split as often as some do.

Depends on my level of laziness, usually I will split off 2 men per platoon as forward scouts and keep the rest of my squads intact until they start getting shot at, then I'll split them. CM is a game of patience, you have all the time in the world to micro your men so I feel like it's almost always best practice to keep them split.

I definitely don't split troops to pick up ammo, they are smart enough to distribute it correctly. 

I do split squads on contact, as Chuck said, or when I know contact is close enough to engage my troops. Splitting squads will give you an edge up on unsplit squads. It's all about suppression. Maximizing the amount of rounds you can put down, while minimizing the rounds you take. And you can do that by splitting squads so they aren't all getting suppressed from the same shooter. 

I will also split AT teams in desperate times, and scout teams on the wings of long marches 

The OP was related to SP/Wego, but in my most current PBEM I don't think I'm giving away too much to say that it's probably over 90% split.  Reserves (hopefully well out of harm's way) are unsplit.  I think my opponents do similar things, but it's not always easy to tell.

When I first got CM (Red Thunder) it was the least of my concerns and outside of my understanding of the game 🤪.  Having said that it may also be one of those things that you never really know how much of a difference it makes?

17 hours ago, Artkin said:

I definitely don't split troops to pick up ammo, they are smart enough to distribute it correctly. 

Many times one wants a particular team to have more ammo or more of other weapons.  On the other hand one can split a unit and use part of the unit for attack and then recombine to acquire more ammo.  I do that a lot with WW2 SMG squads as they have enormous firepower but can run out of ammo quickly if left to their own devices.

4 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

Are you sure about that?

AFAIK only UKR mountain infantry squad is consists of 3 teams.

They are a lot of fun to use. Bounding or fighting with 3 teams instead of 2 feels much better. 6 man squads are pushing it. Two casualties and you're thinking of heading home. The 4 man BTR fireteams are just a bit too big. The mountain infantry are great

18 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

AFAIK only UKR mountain infantry squad is consists of 3 teams.

I can't recall what the Ukr inf were in TOC, but one could split the 7-man squads into 3 teams.  IIRC that was also true for Soviets.  As Artkin says, it seemed more realistic than the 2 team split for US 9 man squads.  Some WW2 squads in CM had 10 or 11 men and those can be split into 3 teams.

I just did a quick test about this:

6 full US squads vs 12 US half squads with same soft stats and same cover.   The split squads were in adjacent action squares, so no advantage from spacing.  Each squad vs half squad was partitioned, so units could only exchange fire with units directly in front. At the end of 1 minute of exchanging fire:

6 of the 12 half squads were pinned. 13 casualties

0 of the 6 full squads were pinned.  10 casualties.

From this 1 min test, it seems to me the main advantage of splitting squads is spacing and multiple order options.

Edited by dkchapuis

I did the test again, this time the half squads did a little better.  at the end of 1 min:

2 of 12 half squads pinned, 12 walking wounded, 9 casualties

4 of 6 full squads pinned, 8 walking wounded 12 casualties.

It would probably take a lot more time to get a conclusion.    One advantage I think that keeping squads together that I had not thought of before this is that all of the squad is in C2.  Whereas that isnt always true for split squads.

If you split squads the other teams can be used for area fire. Only the trooper with full contact will engage the enemy. I have posted screenshots which demonstrated this. If you pin the enemy, they can't pin you. At the end of a turn, you see a full contact. Analyze what is going on. I do this by splitting and see one or two teams don't have contact. However, the game lets me support the full contact unit by using area fire. This wouldn't happen if you don't split the unit. Split but don't keep them split keeping formations intact is the key for maneuver.

Edited by chuckdyke